Beginners and Beyond

TuesDAILIES (Read 37 times)

Morning Everyone

Low volume Vo2max work today to prime the pump for Saturday.

8mi w/ 4x800   2:00/R Splits: 2:56, 52, 52, 51

Thinking I will do 4/ off/ 4/ race as a little taper. Weather is looking hot and humid which isn't going to be fun.

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Good morning!

I ran 13.1 with 10x400 w/2.5 min rests.  I was running them by feel, and was aiming for HM pace (8:23mm).  The first one was a little faster than that, and I got down to HM -30 secs by the end.  I wasn't very consistent, but was running on the road with lots of up and down.  The total workout was about 7.5 min slower than my HM PR, and I feel good about the whole damn thing.

Have a great day!

Runner with a riding problem.

delicate flower

'Morning!  Nice runs Jay B and PR!  I swam 2600 yards before work.  Bike workout tonight.  Looks like it'll be on the bike trainer thanks to heavy rain due to hit later today.

<3

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Good morning, all.  Easy pace 5 miles this morning.  I'm trying to adapt to the slower paces for my upcoming marathon training, which starts formally in July.

Jay, PR, Baboon - nice early morning workouts.  You make me feel a bit of a slacker, but only a bit.  We all do what we can and what's best for us, right?  :-)

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
          10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Good morning, all.  Easy pace 5 miles this morning.  I'm trying to adapt to the slower paces for my upcoming marathon training, which starts formally in July.

You may want to rethink that. Training paces, VO2Max pace, LT pace, etc., shouldn't change just because the race distance is longer. That's one of the reasons Daniels et al say to use you best recent race to determine them. In lieu of a recent race, a 5K time trial can be used. that's 5K, not HM, because a 5K will give you a more valid measurement. Your easy pace doesn't really slow down until you start to extend your long runs.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Jay...Sounds like you're setting yourself up for a nice race. Even if the weather is crummy and keeps you off PR times, I feel like bad running weather really exaggerates the gap in people's fitness, so you should place well.

Pleasant...Awesome run today - those feel good!

Baboon...Nice swim as always. Have fun on the trainer...sounds worse than the treadmill to me lol

Fred...Good work on the 5...tons of value in going in easy paces, especially with marathon training.

LRB..I think I'm the anomaly from your comment last night - I don't think I can run the 5K that my marathon predicts, but I've run a faster marathon than my 5k predicts.

As for me, I ran 10 last night...fought my body for the first 5, and then settled in fairly nicely for the last 5. Hopefully this is the start of some bigger volume weeks for me.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

You may want to rethink that. Training paces, VO2Max pace, LT pace, etc., shouldn't change just because the race distance is longer. That's one of the reasons Daniels et al say to use you best recent race to determine them. In lieu of a recent race, a 5K time trial can be used. that's 5K, not HM, because a 5K will give you a more valid measurement. Your easy pace doesn't really slow down until you start to extend your long runs.

I didn't read his post the same way - my thinking was that it's important to really run easy pace, not beyond it, when volume is increasing so as not to tax the body too much. He's also going to be running more miles at  easy pace then before, so that takes some getting used to.

What you posted is valuable too though, especially if you're looking to run your fastest possible race as opposed to just getting to the start line and being able to cover the distance.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I didn't read his post the same way - my thinking was that it's important to really run easy pace, not beyond it, when volume is increasing so as not to tax the body too much. He's also going to be running more miles at  easy pace then before, so that takes some getting used to.

What you posted is valuable too though, especially if you're looking to run your fastest possible race as opposed to just getting to the start line and being able to cover the distance.

My situation is a mix of both.  I will, indeed, be running a lot more miles.  My pace for the speed work really isn't changing.  It's my longer run paces that are changing as I switch from the half to the full.  A race pace training session will be slower as my pace for the full will be slower than the half.  Given the general advice of easy runs being X:XX slower per mile than race pace pushes them back a bit.  Also, after reading Hansons, I realize that my easy pace runs may have been a bit too fast lately (and of note is that the Hansons plan paces the weekly long run a bit faster than easy runs).  And then there's always differences of opinions between training plans as to just how much slower than race pace an easy run should be.

So, WR2 is right about my shorter runs and SIAR is on target with regard to the longer runs.  I appreciate the input from both of you. Thanks.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                  10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

onemile

My situation is a mix of both.  I will, indeed, be running a lot more miles.  My pace for the speed work really isn't changing.  It's my longer run paces that are changing as I switch from the half to the full.  A race pace training session will be slower as my pace for the full will be slower than the half.  Given the general advice of easy runs being X:XX slower per mile than race pace pushes them back a bit.  Also, after reading Hansons, I realize that my easy pace runs may have been a bit too fast lately (and of note is that the Hansons plan paces the weekly long run a bit faster than easy runs).  And then there's always differences of opinions between training plans as to just how much slower than race pace an easy run should be.

So, WR2 is right about my shorter runs and SIAR is on target with regard to the longer runs.  I appreciate the input from both of you. Thanks.

I find my easy pace naturally gets slower as I increase my mileage and workouts

KCRuns

Good morning!

5.75 last night with the “group” - only 2 of us showed up, so we went longer than usual & then got a slice of pizza at the end. It was fun!

Today will be a rest day.

DavePNW

^this. As it's often been said, easy is an effort, not a pace.

Dave

LRB

+2

LRB

As it's often been said, easy is an effort, not a pace.

Truth.

If ugly is a pace, then that's what mine usually ends up being heading into taper. lol

Half Crazy K 2.0

^this. As it's often been said, easy is an effort, not a pace.

This. And it is rare I hit the "easy" pace suggested by my 5k.

LRB

LRB..I think I'm the anomaly from your comment last night - I don't think I can run the 5K that my marathon predicts, but I've run a faster marathon than my 5k predicts.

You did! Although I always thought your 5k was soft at that time, but you had moved your focus to distance, so training for and racing a 5k all out wasn't on the agenda.