Beginners and Beyond

Thursdailies won't catch us (Read 46 times)

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

CoolWELCOME TO THE DAILIES THREAD!Cool

Anyone and everyone can post your runs, cross-training, abdominal work, rest days, race plans, training questions, etc.. The only stupid question is the one you did not post. There’s a great mix of beginners and veterans, runners and walkers, and maniacs and returners, from injury to running. We're all a little crazy here, too! While this thread is a terrific source of motivation for runners and serves as outstanding accountability, you’ll quickly find this remarkable group to be highly supportive of all life experiences. So, come on in, put your feet up, and stay a while (not literally)! And whoever is up first is welcome to start the thread and we definitely keep some weird hours here

Marjorie

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Today is my 21st wedding anniversary.

Off to run. See ya all later today.

Marjorie

LRB

Supp!

Heading out for 7, see ya!

delicate flower

Good morning now, hombre muchachos!  I treadmilled both last night and this morning.  I've been good about avoiding the treadmill this summer, but I draw the line at 102 heat index.  So, last night was 6 easy miles, with 3 x 1/2 mile at goal HM pace.  7:57 avg pace all around.  This morning was 5 easy miles with some strides, for a 7:56 avg pace.  I wanted to get today's run in early to give my legs a full 48 hours of rest before my race.

So speaking of which, I have a question about temperature and dew point, since I am still trying to figure that stuff out.  I read that the closer to the air temp the dew point is, the tougher it'll feel to run.  Saturday's gun time is looking like 51 degrees with a 48 dew point.  How is that going to feel?   I can relate to 75-80 degrees with a 70+ dew point, but not 51 and 48.  Seems to me that it might feel cool but sticky?  Internets say a dew point below 50 is "PR conditions", but what about when the air temp is the same?

HOORAY!!  Happy 21!

<3

Phil, that equates to a 93% relative humidity. It's going to feel pretty darn humid. The saving grace I would think is that since the temps are down, you won't need to perspire as much.  I found a cool % RH calculator, if you are interested...

http://www.dpcalc.org/

As for my running today, I have a 10 mile LT run planned for the evening.

Have a good one.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Morning dailies.

Happy 21st anniversary Marjorie!

Phil, IIRC we had those same temperatures for the Grandma's Marathon this year and it was pretty great. 50 is the ideal racing temp, and with a little water in the air it cools your skin. I don't think it feels humid when it's that cool.

5 Easy miles this morning @ 8:50 overall pace. A month from today is my debut marathon. I haven't registered yet, but cutoff isn't until just a few days prior. If I am in good shape around the first of October then I'll definitely register.

Have a great day everyone!

- Andrew

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Congrats!!!

5 or 6 later tonight.  Temos are climbing again.  Hoping to get those in on the road & not the hamster wheel but we'll see.

Randy

Zelanie

Morning!  My track workout went well last night.  We ran a series of timed intervals at I pace varying from 30 seconds to 2 minutes.  The workout called for 6 reps, but since I have a 5K on Sunday, I did 4.  That was enough for 14 minutes at I pace.  The workout itself was fine, fun even, but I have the hardest time finding the "feel" of that pace, and with those short intervals, my Garmin was no help at all.  I mostly went out too fast, but when I tried to slow down, I ended up too slow.

Social run tonight. Smile

Marjorie- Happy anniversary!

LRB- Have a good run!

Phil- I want to say that dewpoints feel humid when they get above 60 or 65, regardless of the temperature.  So if it's colder than that, I don't think it's an issue.  At least, in Oregon the dewpoint can frequently be close to the temperature when it's cooler and it doesn't seem to be an issue for me.

c0de- Have a good tempo run!

Andrew- Go ahead and register already!  Is there any chance it could fill up?

redrum- Hope it's cool for your run.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Phil I don't think it will be too bad. A dew point over 70 is when it is the worst for cooling down. It will be humid, maybe some fog in the air.

i ran 10.5 this am

thanks for the anniversary wishes

Marjorie

delicate flower

Thanks for all the info on the dew point!  All of the races I've done at that temp have been in crisp air, so the cool humid air will be a new experience for me.  Sounds like I don't have too much to worry about then.  The temp probably won't get up to 60 before I finish the race. 

Heh...you know these things go.  Obsess about everything.  Big grin

<3

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

In my experience, 48DP is not humid and you shouldn't feel it being humid (even though 90% humidity) because it will be cold (50s weather).  So, as I have always said, % of relative humidity is misleading.

Good morning now, hombre muchachos!  I treadmilled both last night and this morning.  I've been good about avoiding the treadmill this summer, but I draw the line at 102 heat index.  So, last night was 6 easy miles, with 3 x 1/2 mile at goal HM pace.  7:57 avg pace all around.  This morning was 5 easy miles with some strides, for a 7:56 avg pace.  I wanted to get today's run in early to give my legs a full 48 hours of rest before my race.

So speaking of which, I have a question about temperature and dew point, since I am still trying to figure that stuff out.  I read that the closer to the air temp the dew point is, the tougher it'll feel to run.  Saturday's gun time is looking like 51 degrees with a 48 dew point.  How is that going to feel?   I can relate to 75-80 degrees with a 70+ dew point, but not 51 and 48.  Seems to me that it might feel cool but sticky?  Internets say a dew point below 50 is "PR conditions", but what about when the air temp is the same?

HOORAY!!  Happy 21!

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning.  12 miles tonight.  Hubby has 2.

Still stuck in court, ugh.

happy 21st!

Damaris

outoftheblue

Good morning -- Just a few easy miles today as I try to embrace the taper and not get too antsy.

Phil -- I've done a lot of running by the coast where the temps are in the 50s and the dew point is also in the 50s -- quite frequently 100% humidity (i.e. fog).   Although the air can feel a bit dense, the lower air temperatures keep it pleasant to run in.  As long as the temps don't climb into the 60s with that humidity, it really shouldn't be a factor.   Good luck on your Half.  You've been doing a lot of great running lately, so I can't wait to hear how it goes!

Life is good.

Will run for scenery.

Another way to think about DP...  When you exercise (or just sit there) your body has to get rid of heat.  When the air around you is a lot cooler than 98.6 F, you lose heat mostly by conduction to the air next to your skin.  The temperature difference and exposed skin is all you need.  And a tiny bit of wind to carry the warmed-up air away from you (convection).

When the air temp gets closer to 98.6 (or above !) you won't lose enough (or any !) heat to conduction.  That's when sweat saves the day.  When sweat evaporates, it "soaks up" heat from your body.  But it can only evaporate if the air isn't already 100% soaked with water. Too much humidity (however you choose to quantify it, RH or DP) means that your second best option for cooling off won't work.

AFM, it's a rainy day here, so I'm gonna try and hit the TM.  I've been working days & nights this week, so I could sure use a run !

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Ric-G

marjorie - happy anniversary!

baboon - nice paces there

code - have a great ten

brrr - very cool about the debut

redrum - hopefully not too hot

zel - nice track stuff

D - you are the dew point guru...have a good 12

blue - take it easy

8 easy this AM...a lot of meetings and other junk today to deal with today along with continued soccer tryouts for my older son. take care everyone and happy running.

marathon pr - 3:16