Beginners and Beyond

TGIFriDAILIES (Read 36 times)

bluerun

Super B****

10 on the trainer to warm up a bit, 3.8 outside roughly two minutes per mile slower than I will supposedly attempt to run the 10K on Sunday for which I just registered. Which is the most hilarious thought ever, and I'd laugh and laugh and laugh about it, but I'm just too tired. (Seriously -- my heart rate was low, so I clearly wasn't working very hard, but obviously my Garmin knows I'm too exhausted to exist because it still says I'm detraining. So obnoxious.)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

KCRuns

Mornin'!

Good luck this weekend, Blue!

I ran 7 to work this morning with 400m repeats.  I did 10x 400/200. Goal for 400s was 2:09-2:17 (about 5k pace) plus 3x 200/200 strides.  This is the first time since May that I've done any workout like this and it was hard to dial in the paces.  They ended up being 2:15-2:23 with most of them at 2:19.  The effort was there and I didn't think I'd be that close, so I was happy with how this went, especially considering that I'm just getting back to my good training habits and am out of shape.  Anyway, it's a good baseline and I can build on this.

delicate flower

Hola, tortillas.  I swam 2100 yards before work and it was ugly.  Taper doing its thing, I presume.  So last night's run, I forgot to pack running socks so I ran in my dress socks.  Not a big deal, but worth mentioning here on this running website.  I've got an easy run to do after work today, and my socks are packed.

I got an e-mail from a recruiter about a job that would cut my commute from 45 minutes to 10 minutes.  My math tells me that equates to around 260 fewer hours a year spent in my car.  That'd be awesome, but not for half the pay.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have 6 with strides and weights tonight.

Baboon, since you're not rushing to leave, negotiate and demand the salary you want.  Nothing to lose.

Damaris

Cyberic

I got an e-mail from a recruiter about a job that would cut my commute from 45 minutes to 10 minutes.  My math tells me that equates to around 260 fewer hours a year spent in my car.  That'd be awesome, but not for half the pay.

10 minutes car commute could be done in less than an hour running? Still not worth half the pay, though.

Cyberic

Mornin'!

I ran 7 to work this morning with 400m repeats.  I did 10x 400/200. Goal for 400s was 2:09-2:17 (about 5k pace) plus 3x 200/200 strides.  This is the first time since May that I've done any workout like this and it was hard to dial in the paces.  They ended up being 2:15-2:23 with most of them at 2:19.  The effort was there and I didn't think I'd be that close, so I was happy with how this went, especially considering that I'm just getting back to my good training habits and am out of shape.  Anyway, it's a good baseline and I can build on this.

Good job on the workout/commute!

delicate flower

10 minutes car commute could be done in less than an hour running? Still not worth half the pay, though.

That'd totally be run commute proximity.  But yeah, not for half the pay.  Docket, nobody can negotiate for twice the posted salary.

<3

bluerun

Super B****

Mornin'!

I need a miracle, not luck, but thank you! 😂

Doing a workout to get to work seems like such an efficient use of time! Imagine all the extra sleep you can get out of it...

chasing the impossible

onemile

So last night's run, I forgot to pack running socks so I ran in my dress socks.  Not a big deal, but worth mentioning here on this running website.  I've got an easy run to do after work today, and my socks are packed

I have forgotten the pack socks so many times. And because I usually wear skirts/dresses to work, I don't have dress socks to substitute. I can run about 5 miles sockless before I start getting blisters but being able to get my run done without having to wait until I can go home and get socks is worth a few blisters.

I started to keep some extra socks, sports bra, etc in my desk drawer at work for such cases

DavePNW

10 on the trainer to warm up a bit, 3.8 outside roughly two minutes per mile slower than I will supposedly attempt to run the 10K on Sunday for which I just registered. Which is the most hilarious thought ever, and I'd laugh and laugh and laugh about it, but I'm just too tired. (Seriously -- my heart rate was low, so I clearly wasn't working very hard, but obviously my Garmin knows I'm too exhausted to exist because it still says I'm detraining. So obnoxious.)

I think everyone here is predicting a PR.

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

I think everyone here is predicting a PR.

In which case everyone should prepare to be disappointed.

chasing the impossible

KCRuns

That'd totally be run commute proximity.  But yeah, not for half the pay.  Docket, nobody can negotiate for twice the posted salary.

I always assume the posted salary is what they want to pay somebody on the lowest end of the experience scale.  If you have the experience and reputation they want, they will pay what you need.  At the very least, you can have a conversation with the head hunter.  This particular job may not be right for you, but they may have something else come up later that would fit your goals.  Remember, when they reach out to you, you are the one in the power position.  You're doing them a favor by having the conversation.

DavePNW

Hola, tortillas.  I swam 2100 yards before work and it was ugly.  Taper doing its thing, I presume.  So last night's run, I forgot to pack running socks so I ran in my dress socks.  Not a big deal, but worth mentioning here on this running website.  I've got an easy run to do after work today, and my socks are packed.

I hope you had them pulled up over your calves.

I forgot socks one time in my early running days, it was actually on the gym treadmill. I ran it sockless and ended up blistered AF.

Since I always ran before work, my risk was always forgetting work clothing items. It got to be such a routine that I would never forget anything. But I was always nervous I’d forget something major like shirt or pants. My comfort factor was that there was a Fred Meyer store (like Target) nearby that opened at 7AM, where I could do some shopping in a pinch. I did take advantage of that one time I forgot underwear. 

Dave

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Got up at 4 this morning, ran 5.4 miles in some rain and wind. Left shin was complaining a little but other than that, it was okay. My dumbass forgot to hit pause on my watch at mile 1.04 when I stopped to stretch so 4-5 minutes was added to it 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I always assume the posted salary is what they want to pay somebody on the lowest end of the experience scale.  If you have the experience and reputation they want, they will pay what you need.  At the very least, you can have a conversation with the head hunter.  This particular job may not be right for you, but they may have something else come up later that would fit your goals.  Remember, when they reach out to you, you are the one in the power position.  You're doing them a favor by having the conversation.

^ All of this.  The salaries are not non-negotiable and it's mostly a bottom.  The recruiter will also tell you if that is the case, so talking to them is worth it.

Damaris