Beginners and Beyond

7115 WednesDAILIES (Read 46 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

'Morning!!  I did pretty good on my triathlon last night.  I improved on all three legs and finished almost three minutes better than last week (1:03:11).  I was 55/138 OA.  In combing through the results, I see every person that finished ahead of me (all 54) had a faster swim.  I need to work on that.  I was still faster than about 50 people on the swim, so I am happy about that.  I have the most to gain on the bike though.  I really have not been riding a whole lot and am still in the top half on the bike.  I have strong mountain bike handling skills, which certainly helps (bike handling, shifting, braking, steering, etc).  I can probably knock another 5 minutes off the bike if I actually rode more.  The run is what it is...I pass a lot of people there.  My run is disproportionately strong compared to my swim and bike.  Anyway, good times.  Wife had a good race too and beat last week's time.  She is in it for all 10 races.  

Easy run planned tonight.

Great job!

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

And Happy Birthday HCK! How old are you now?

No birthday today, not until December. It will be a new AG one

LRB

LRB, that's awesome. Planned?

Sheeit, I am not that sophisticated. lol

I actually had no idea what I was doing this morning, I just went out and started running.

I only checked the map because I have been working on getting Garmin integrated with RA (finally) the past couple of days.

LRB

Happy Birthday HCK! You don't look a day over 2. 

No, sorry, if B&B determines it's your birthday, the matter is settled. Now, go out & celebrate tonight. Congrats on joining the 20-24 AG.

Dave

Zelanie

Morning, everyone!  I have a short hike today and then probably a RD unless I feel like running this evening.  Last night I didn't end up running until late, but ended up with a nice little TM run.

Happy Canada Day to our northern members! Smile

Congrats, Phil!  I bet the swim will get a lot better on its own just because of how new it is, right?  Also, it seems like that is the only one that really requires arm/shoulder strength, so I bet you have a lot to gain there with a little bit of practice.

Step- Hope you had a nice anniversary!

cjones- Enjoy the road trip!

Half- Happy birthday! 

B-Plus

Congrats Baboon!

Happy Canada Day to Cy, Lily, and any other canucks on here.

I'm biking to the mall and then running partway up a mountain from there.

Cyberic

Thanks B+, it's raining like a mofo right now Sad

Baboon (and others too, but I know baboon has one), you now hava a 920XT, but had a 620, and I know you wear your strap, so you have access to your running dynamics. I only have a foot pod, but that still gives me some dynamics, except for ground contact time and vertical oscillation. Since your 5K time is similar to mine, I was wondering what your average stride length was. Mine was 1.39m in my last 5K (my 1000m splits vary from 1.37m to 1.42m). But in the last 0.05 km split, where I was giving all I had left, my avg stride length was 1.64 m.

Now that my post is all written, I'm not sure what my question is since I know it's mathematical, and it's stride length x turnover = speed, so if we have a similar stride rate, then our stride lengths must be the same.

But I'm leaving the post anyways Smile Maybe it'll start a discussion on running dynamics, or not Smile

delicate flower

Thanks B+, it's raining like a mofo right now Sad

Baboon (and others too, but I know baboon has one), you now hava a 920XT, but had a 620, and I know you wear your strap, so you have access to your running dynamics. I only have a foot pod, but that still gives me some dynamics, except for ground contact time and vertical oscillation. Since your 5K time is similar to mine, I was wondering what your average stride length was. Mine was 1.39m in my last 5K (my 1000m splits vary from 1.37m to 1.42m). But in the last 0.05 km split, where I was giving all I had left, my avg stride length was 1.64 m.

Now that my post is all written, I'm not sure what my question is since I know it's mathematical, and it's stride length x turnover = speed, so if we have a similar stride rate, then our stride lengths must be the same.

But I'm leaving the post anyways Smile Maybe it'll start a discussion on running dynamics, or not Smile

My last three 5K's:  1.24, 1.26, 1.24.  I don't have a huge stride...my run looks like a fast shuffle.  It's ugly.

And this is the first time that data has ever been useful to have.  

<3

onemile

My last three 5K's:  1.24, 1.26, 1.24.  I don't have a huge stride...my run looks like a fast shuffle.  It's ugly.

I just checked mine (I have the 620) and 1.26 is what mine was for my last 5k.  So it's nice to know my running is ugly. 

Cyberic

I just checked mine (I have the 620) and 1.26 is what mine was for my last 5k.  So it's nice to know my running is ugly. 

Depends on the speed you were running at onemile.  At easy pace, my stride length is about 1.10 meters (170 steps/min). At 5k pace, 1.40 meters and cadence 178-184.

The "ugly shuffle" is a combination of turnover and length.

LRB

<--------clueless.

my running is ugly

I don't need a fancy watch to tell me that.

Dave

Cyberic

I never really checked mine either. There is a topic on the main forums about stride length, and that made me check mine.

MTA: I checked in my log, and it seems like my turnover rate has slowed. It used to be about 180 at easy pace, and now it more in the 170 range. I'm not sure what to think of that.

LRB

I'm biking to the mall and then running partway up a mountain from there.

So you went from hill sprints to mountain sprints? Nice.