Beginners and Beyond

YMCA 15k RR (Read 81 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I got my butt out of bed just before 5 a.m, got dressed (while drinking coffee) and ready and went for an easy .8 mile warm up run, trying to loosen things up before the race. I ended up deciding not to wear a shirt for the race, and luckily I was able to go to the bathroom before I left home. I really didn't have any plans to aim for a PR, I just wanted to enjoy the race (I've got a lot on my mind right now). Got there with 20 minutes before lineup so I went to the bathroom one more time, then walked a little bit. I tried to line up around the middle but closer to the front, I was really expecting there to be more participants but apparently only 629 this time. The gun soon went off, and we worked our way through the bottle necked part of the start. My legs were a little sore already, probably from Wednesday's double duty and Thursday's 5 mile walk. I didn't worry about and just moved past the slow people, honestly I have no idea how many people I really passed through the whole race but I know it was a lot. Was expecting or planning to go out so fast, I had expected to be at least above a 10:00 minute pace.

Mile 1 - 9:47 

Mile 2 - 9:30

Mile 3 - 9:25

I was feeling pretty good still, no bodily function issues and the soreness had gone away. By this point we were onto the Greenway Recreational Trail, which was pretty hilly so I made sure to power up the hills and enjoy the downhills, I managed to pass quite a few during the uphill parts.

Mile 4 - 9:09

Mile 5 - 8:52

Mile 6 - 8:42

Still feeling pretty good, I was picking and choosing runners to tag along with for pace and then I'd switch if I felt I could go faster. Around this point I was feeling like a side stitch was threatening to slow me down, but I just watched my breathing and kept going. At this point I did grab a cup of water, to dump on my head. I easily overheat, especially my head so it feels really good to have cold water on the forehead...... at least for a minute or two. 

Mile 7 - 8:42

Mile 8 - 9:02

Mile 9 - 9:07  

I had started slowing down at this point, the heat from the sun baring down on my head, and a stupid stitch in the very front just under my sternum wasn't going away. I tried to ignore it and kept pushing it for the last .3 mile stretch and finished with 8:18 minute pace.

I finished and was so happy to being done, but curious of where I placed so I stuck around until I figured they were going to wait until the walkers were done which would have been over an hour longer. My half-ass goal time was to finish under 1:30:00 and I finished at 1:24:16 (chip time, my garmin was 3 seconds slower) and with an average pace of 9:02 min/mile. Sadly I didn't win in my age group, heck I was 16 minutes behind 1st place in my age group.

The results:

Overall - 196/629

Division Placement - 6/49

Gender - 68/354

I'm not to down about not winning my age group, this is so far my fastest time for a 15k and I figure if the temperature is like 10+ degrees cooler than this morning for the half marathon, I should be able to hold this pace no problem for the Evansville Half Marathon.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Congrats!  And while the last 5K of a Half are definitely nothing to laugh at (the joke about mile 10 being the halfway point...har har) you are looking ready!  Also, goal race motivation & focus will mean something on race day!!

I wish I had magic words of wisdom for stitches......(elusive, random & annoying little buggers)......but I don't.  Maybe skip the coffee for the HM & *just* do water??  (still no guarantees)

Good race, stitches be damned!

Cool

Randy

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Thanks lol, I haven't had stitches in a LONG time and suddenly the last two runs I have had them "hinting" of their existence. Normally during training runs I am not worried if I have to slow down, stop or take a breather but during a race I do not want to stop lol. I only drank the coffee before this race because some says it can get the bowels and bladder moving, I wanted to be pretty darn empty before the race. I feel ready... for the HM and the cooler weather, though some on here (D) will laugh at my temperatures here lol Joking

Congrats!  And while the last 5K of a Half are definitely nothing to laugh at (the joke about mile 10 being the halfway point...har har) you are looking ready!  Also, goal race motivation & focus will mean something on race day!!

I wish I had magic words of wisdom for stitches......(elusive, random & annoying little buggers)......but I don't.  Maybe skip the coffee for the HM & *just* do water??  (still no guarantees)

Good race, stitches be damned!

Cool

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

PADRunner

Congrats. It looks like you had a good race overall.

delicate flower

Great job, FreeSoul!  Wow, you had no problem at all keeping that pace below 10:00...not even close.  I got a similar cramp in my last 10K.  It killed my final mile.

<3

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Thanks! I can't stand those darn cramps/stitches,  it's strange how something like that can just level a person to the ground.

PRs

hog4life

Congrats FS on a good time! You will be rocking the Half.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Thanks!

PRs

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Congrats!  I see awesome and strong paces.  Great job!

Damaris

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

Congrats!

Great job Freesoul!  Stitches are miserable.  I've tried a dozen different body positioning supposed cures, and finally realized all I can do is control my breathing and run through them.  Good luck on your half.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Thanks all, sadly DH couldn't be there to take photos but I do have 3 pics of me.......... none are flattering and one looks like I am giving the rockstar sign and about to give the middle finger....Blush

Me in the pink sports bra, very beginning of the race

This was between mile 6 and 7, I was tired and I tried to give the "rock on" sign with both hands... Rhonda (the photographer wasn't ready)

No buttcheeks!!! Just after the 2nd pic

PRs

Great job, Free!

That HM should go really well for you.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Cool Thanks, I'm counting on it.

Great job, Free!

That HM should go really well for you.

PRs

happylily

You did great, FS and you look like a rockstar in all three pics. Congratulations!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010