Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #160 (Read 33 times)

DavePNW

In Baltimore, it seems like a lot of people use the race as an excuse to start drinking at 8am

Do they need one?

Dave

onemile

From the spectator angle, for the larger races going through residential neighborhoods, I wonder how this will play out?  

it will play out with the races being canceled

onemile

That Chicago Marathon email was just dumb 

here is a non-update for you that contains absolutely no new information

sdWhiskers

I've gotten a lot of those type of emails in the past few months....

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

My 4th of July race has not provided any update whatsoever and now sent me my "bib" number. I see I am now signed up for a virtual race, races which I don't do. 

Damaris

DavePNW

My 4th of July race has not provided any update whatsoever and now sent me my "bib" number. I see I am now signed up for a virtual race, races which I don't do. 

For the foreseeable future, actual races are ones you also don’t do.

Dave

onemile

For the foreseeable future, actual races are ones you also don’t do.

lol

DavePNW

LOL. You forgot “we are closely monitoring the situation”.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

LOL. You forgot “we are closely monitoring the situation”.

Not sure they use that wording, though. They wanted to be special and say, today starts training. Get on with it, although we can't tell you if the race is actually happening. Good luck!

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

"We are working with officials" seems to be the buzzword phrase around here. You can insert a city, county, department, etc for which officials.

Another buzz phrase is "participation options", which means we don't plan on offering refunds as an option, but you can run a virtual race & we'll send you a t-shirt & medal.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

At the end of the email Chicago says they are reviewing the options to provide in case of cancellation so that the participants have more options than their standard ones. Which means they will provide full refunds probably. Not part of their standard but the RDs have given full refunds on the last two races they canceled this year.

It better not mean a virtual race (doubtful, but after Boston, who knows).

Damaris

LRB

it will play out with the races being canceled

Not you too??

Runshortii

At the end of the email Chicago says they are reviewing the options to provide in case of cancellation so that the participants have more options than their standard ones. Which means they will provide full refunds probably. Not part of their standard but the RDs have given full refunds on the last two races they canceled this year.

It better not mean a virtual race (doubtful, but after Boston, who knows).

I’m sure it will be. If Boston can be virtual why not Chicago 

KCRuns

In the RRCA guidance doc, someone had done the math for the LA marathon regarding social distancing at the start. It would have needed to be close to 4 miles long to have proper spacing. I'm sure everyone wants to shuffle along in a line for 4 miles before running 26.2.

I think these kinds of ideas are stupid. Just do a temperature check when going through security and make everyone wear a mask in the corral and after the race if they’re going to stay in the area.  Run normally and don’t take food/drinks from spectators. And for aid stations, they can pour the water and stack the cups and make you grab your own to limit personal contact with people. Just my opinion.

KCRuns

I’m sure it will be. If Boston can be virtual why not Chicago 

I think the options will be virtual, refund or defer to next year. I’m even fine paying again for next year (with a discount) to avoid the lottery.