Beginners and Beyond

Tuesdailies: Wake up and go to work. (Read 38 times)

Baboon

delicate flower

STUPID QUESTION ALERT:

What are the max distances for your swim and bike during training? Is it like running where you don't run 26.2 miles? (okay, two questions )

I don't know specifically for me yet (I have not asked my coach), but based on what other folks have done for IM training, swims max out around 4000 yards (race distance is 4200) and bike rides top 120 miles (race distance is 112 miles).  I suspect I'll have only a couple of 20 mile runs to do.  Right now I'm at 15 miles and I'm guessing I'll have 16-17 to do on June 11.

Unlike with marathon training, the long run isn't my big workout for the week.  The long ride plus short run are the big days.  For example, this Sunday I have a 100 mile bike ride followed immediately by a 5 mile run.  An 18 mile run will feel easy by comparison.

<3

LRB

Asking me or Mr.Matt that question? I'm thinking it must be Mr. Matt as I'm also intrigued at what his peak week will be like.

Cyberic

Day 1 of marathon training: 5 easy miles and a sports massage. If only every training day could be like this.

Smile

Cyberic

I don't know specifically for me yet (I have not asked my coach), but based on what other folks have done for IM training, swims max out around 4000 yards (race distance is 4200) and bike rides top 120 miles (race distance is 112 miles).  I suspect I'll have only a couple of 20 mile runs to do.  Right now I'm at 15 miles and I'm guessing I'll have 16-17 to do on June 11.

Unlike with marathon training, the long run isn't my big workout for the week.  The long ride plus short run are the big days.  For example, this Sunday I have a 100 mile bike ride followed immediately by a 5 mile run.  An 18 mile run will feel easy by comparison.

Impressive.

LRB

Will you be doing all three disciplines on the same day any point? (if you know) I once rode my bike about 20 miles then ran like 3 on the treadmill. I was just fooling around so it wasn't anything serious.

Baboon

delicate flower

Will you be doing all three disciplines on the same day any point? (if you know) I once rode my bike about 20 miles then ran like 3 on the treadmill. I was just fooling around so it wasn't anything serious.

I won't have any scheduled workouts like that, but I may have days where I decide to do all three.  I won't stack them in combination though.  It'd be when I have a bike/run workout, then decide to go swim later in the day.  I have three shorter triathlons scheduled before the Ironman.  Those will be my only workouts that are all three disciplines.

Also, the long ride/run days are also when I work on nutrition and hydration (triathletes call that a 4th discipline).  It takes practice and trial and error to figure it out.  I need to make sure I getting my calories, carbs, sodium, and hydration...the right amount though.  Not too much, not too little.  For my recent 75 mile ride/3 mile run, I didn't hydrate enough, and I only know that because I went through 100oz of fluids in four hours and didn't have to pee.  I've read that if you have to pee twice during the 112 mile ride, you are hydrating perfectly.      

<3

Baboon

delicate flower

This was my bike before my last ride.  I only drink from the top bottle.  When it gets empty, grab a green bottle, flip it upside down, squeeze contents into the top bottle, all while on the move.  I won't carry all those liquids during a race though.  I'll just carry the top bottle and maybe one more.  Plenty of water available on course so schleping extra bottles is unnecessary weight.  I'll need to carry my powder though, either in baggies or plastic tubes in my jersey pocket.  The bike feels top heavy and unbalanced with all that liquid up high.

<3

LRB

I won't have any scheduled workouts like that, but I may have days where I decide to do all three.  I won't stack them in combination though.  It'd be when I have a bike/run workout, then decide to go swim later in the day.  I have three shorter triathlons scheduled before the Ironman.  Those will be my only workouts that are all three disciplines.

Also, the long ride/run days are also when I work on nutrition and hydration (triathletes call that a 4th discipline).  It takes practice and trial and error to figure it out.  I need to make sure I getting my calories, carbs, sodium, and hydration...the right amount though.  Not too much, not too little.  For my recent 75 mile ride/3 mile run, I didn't hydrate enough, and I only know that because I went through 100oz of fluids in four hours and didn't have to pee.  I've read that if you have to pee twice during the 112 mile ride, you are hydrating perfectly.      

Got it.

So wait, peeing during the event is expected? Why not just get it done during the swim? Not that *I* would ever do that.

Mr MattM

Have you considered lowering your mileage, say to 85 MPW? 

I only ran 76 last week... so yes. 

be curious; not judgmental

onemile

So wait, peeing during the event is expected? Why not just get it done during the swim? Not that *I* would ever do that.

These people pride themselves in peeing on their bikes. Seriously.

Baboon

delicate flower

Got it.

I am sure plenty of people pee during the swim!  If I have to, I will.    A lot of people pee on the bike and even while running.  It is something they practice.  Look, I am going to finish in the middle of the pack and in the middle-to-back of my AG.  So if I have to pee, I am going to stop at an aid station, get off my bike, and use a portapotty.  If I spend a total of five minutes doing this during the race, it will make absolutely no difference.  Maybe I'll finish in 1420th place instead of 1400th place.  I'll take that over pissing all over my bike and my legs.

<3

LRB

I did not know that, and now that I do, I'm going to UN-know it. lol

Baboon

delicate flower

If I had a shot at AG placement and/or earning a Kona slot where minutes make a difference, I would.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Sheesh

Damaris

LRB