Beginners and Beyond

ToosDAILIES (Read 32 times)

onemile

Fairly sharp pain at the back of my foot, above the heel, roughly at ankle level. I don't feel anything when sitting; hurts walking around, level of pain varies. Hurts more at the beginning of a run, then evolves into mostly a dull ache after a mile or so. Anything else?

Is it only on one leg? Or both?

Mine was sore stiff anytime I got up from sitting/sleeping and started walking. It would loosen up after a little so I could walk without hobbling. Actually I still get this part. And then it would be mildly sore in the beginning of a run and after 3-4 miles turn into a burning pain where it felt like my achilles was going to tear or something

DavePNW

Is it only on one leg? Or both?

Just one.

Dave

DavePNW

I'm not telling you anything you don't know already, but a big problem with achilles issues (and all tendons really) is the lack of blood flow to the area. So in some cases, running lightly is better than rest because the nutrients in the blood hasten healing.

When I had achilles tendonitis or tendinitis (there is a difference but I can't remember what it was), I waited for the swelling to go down then yes, I jogged slowly for 4 miles every other day (I actually wrote this this other day but apparently you had me on pay no mind ), then increased that to 5 miles, 6 miles etc. until I was able to resume MRT in mid September.

I ate a crap ton of leafy vegetables and root vegetables believing that the nutrient value from them surrounding the injured area would help to heal it.  I'm not sure if any of it mattered, but I suffered the injury on August 18, 2012 if I recall correctly, and managed to make it to the start line at Detroit in October and finished with a PR.

Thanks, and sorry for missing what you said before.

And yeah, I think total rest is worse. No idea whether this would be more aggravated by speedwork; I have actually done nothing but easy runs since my HM on 1/21, although of course that is scheduled to change next week.

Dave

LRB

Thanks, and sorry for missing what you said before.

And yeah, I think total rest is worse. No idea whether this would be more aggravated by speedwork; I have actually done nothing but easy runs since my HM on 1/21, although of course that is scheduled to change next week.

If it's okay to run once you warm up, it should be okay. If it's aggravated by speed work, you might have a problem. Although truth be told, I didn't do any real speed work during that time. I did MP but that isn't really "speed work".

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Have you tried taping the Achilles, Dave?  No experience with Achilles issues but thinking maybe tape might help with the pain/ache while running.

Meanwhile, I am walking around the office and have graduated from an 80 year old lady pace to a 60 year old.  The knee does not hurt.  Everything else (lower back, legs) do.

Damaris

Cyberic

Have you tried taping the Achilles, Dave?  No experience with Achilles issues but thinking maybe tape might help with the pain/ache while running.

Meanwhile, I am walking around the office and have graduated from an 80 year old lady pace to a 60 year old.  The knee does not hurt.  Everything else (lower back, legs) do.

If you get down to a 20 year old, I'm getting that operation!

No more marathons

I ran 7 with 6 x 100 and what was supposed to be 90 second recoveries, except at 90 seconds of the first recovery, nothing happened. So I was jogging along for what seemed an eternity wondering what the hell happened before ultimately realizing I programmed the recoveries for 90 MINUTES. 

#idiot

BwaaaaHaaaaaHaaaaaa.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

No more marathons

Well - didn't have any much  trouble hitting my 5K Target paces in a 8 X 400 workout.

Wish I could believe that means I could run that pace for a 5K.

We'll see in a couple of weeks.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

LRB

Well - didn't have any much  trouble hitting my 5K Target paces in a 8 X 400 workout.

Wish I could believe that means I could run that pace for a 5K.

We'll see in a couple of weeks.

Aw shit.

Runshortii

Either 5 miles on the treadmill or SRD. I haven't made up my mind. I ran yesterday so I could rest if I wanted, but I work 12 hour shifts the next 3 days and I hate running on the dreadmill after work .

Supposed to race a 5K on Sunday that starts at 10:15, but now I have to go bridesmaids dress shopping at 11:30.  I really want to get a 5K in before I start HM training so I know how horribly out of shape I am.  There's a 2nd 5K that's closer that starts at 9am..but it's the first year they're doing it and those are always iffy, and I already paid for the first 5K. OR the first 5K also has a 10K option at 8:15 that I could make..and if I'm reading the athlete guide right they let you switch up until the race...

Dave - Hope the achilles feels better. I had achilles issues a few years ago, and it was a pain in the butt.  But I agree that I felt a little running was better than no running.  I also read somewhere that doing eccentric calf raises is supposed to help with achilles issues...so now I do those. Do they actually help? Who knows lol

DavePNW

Mine was sore stiff anytime I got up from sitting/sleeping and started walking. It would loosen up after a little so I could walk without hobbling. Actually I still get this part. And then it would be mildly sore in the beginning of a run and after 3-4 miles turn into a burning pain where it felt like my achilles was going to tear or something

I think if I get this, I'll stop.

So how did this go away? Just time? Continued to run on it?

shortii: I don't do eccentric calf raises; I used to have a lot of calf problems, and always heard this was a good thing to do, but never got into it. I do have a stretching routine I do after every run which includes an achilles stretch. FWIW.

Dave

Baboon

delicate flower

26 miles of skiing in fresh Colorado powder.  133 miles for the trip.  I am tired and I hurt.  My vacation was all that I hoped it'd be.  Smile

<3

LRB

26 miles of skiing in fresh Colorado powder.  133 miles for the trip.  I am tired and I hurt.  My vacation was all that I hoped it'd be.  Smile

You skied a marathon? Whoa...I think. lol

Baboon

delicate flower

You skied a marathon? Whoa...I think. lol

Twice this trip!  Wife kept asking if we hit marathon distance.

<3

Half Crazy K 2.0

3 easy. Got home a little late and didn't start til it was mostly dark, so went with capris and a light weight long sleeve.The area hit a record high today of 72.