Beginners and Beyond

Wonderful Wednesday Penguins (Read 23 times)

Philliefan33

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Philliefan33

Today is going to be a wonderful day!  Low humidity, temps in the mid 70's...if I didn't have to work it would be a perfect day.

6-7 miles tonight.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

There's the penguin thread!

Enjoy your run tonight Phillie!

I had a short, slow jog this morning. I took 3 rest days ina row, 2 planned one not, so I wanted to do a really easy run before the longer or harder runs planned for the reat of the week.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning!!!   Short run planned for this afternoon, then heading downtown for a retirement party for one of my former co-workers.  Should be fun, but hate to see everyone getting old.  At least the runners stay young...lol.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

1 mile warmup and 6 miles at 8:30 avg with my speedy neighbor.  Last mile was at 7:30.  Woohoo!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Speedy awood!

Jerry I hope runners stay young forever!

My RR for my 10 mile race is up for anyone interested.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I'm baaaack!

What a crazy weekend and next couple of days!  Here is a short recap:

Saturday:  Did my 35th event of 2013, the Doggie Dash 5K.  BTW, if you tried to review my report recently, my apologies on the photos. I had exceeded my free monthly bandwidth limit on my photobucket account.  I have now upgraded my account, so the photos are back again.  Here is the link to the report:  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/d4721f0e1f3c426286f3076eae20f532/0

Sunday:  Up at 2:15 a.m., at the airport by 4 a.m.   Flew to St. Louis and then on to Reagan International at D.C.  Took the metro to Rosslyn in Virginia, then a short cab ride to the hotel.  Days Inn in Arlington, on Arlington Blvd, right across from Fort Meyer.  Room was kinda small, but a nice one, and we were only staying for 1 night, and a pretty good deal in the DC area for  only $69, so what the heck.  So did the "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles' thing, lol.  Gail and I were pretty exhausted, so just stayed in, caught up on our sleep, watched movies, had room service.

Monday:  Up at 6 a.m. and went for a run in the area around the hotel.  I grew up in this area, but have not been back since 1994 so recognized NOTHING, lol.  The streets, buildings, etc, can sure change in 19 years! Joking   I should have been wearing this dog tag when I was out running that morning:

Never-the-less, it was fun even if I did get myself lost.  And the weather, compared to San Antonio weather, was beautiful.  A little overcast, 62 degrees, low humidity, low dewpoint.  Sweet. Ran through a lovely neighborhood with these huge and beautiful houses;  got to give a treat to this HUGE and beautiful Irish wolfhound a guy was walking in the neighborhood;  then tried to figure out which street would take me back toward my hotel and came upon 5 ladies out doing a group run, wearing shirts that said Arlington Runners Club or Arlington Road Runners Club, or something like that.  Anyway, they were out doing a training run for an upcoming race and were actually heading back toward my hotel, so they invited me to run with them and would show me the way, sweeet.  So I ended up getting a nice "touring" run in the Arlington area with 5 lovely ladies, got to see a great dog and a beautiful neighborhood, and had lovely weather.  Nice!  Ended up putting in just a little over 4 miles.  And lots of hills, Arlington area is very hilly!   Also saw lots of other runners out doing their thing, apparently this area has a plethora of runners.  After my run, Gail and I chilled for a while, then had lunch at a very nice place across from the hotel.  Then my cousin picked us up and we went to Arlington Cemetery to inter my mom's ashes with my Dad's.  Also got to spend time with my daughter, who came up from PA, and my sister, who lives in VA.  The ceremony was very nice, the military Honor Guard always does such a great job!   After the ceremony, back on the metro, then to the airport for the trip home...and the flight was delayed by 4 hours due to bad weather from  St. Louis on out to the east coast.  Great! We finally got to St. Louis very late...and found out since we were on the last flight to San Antonio for the night, Southwest had actually held the plane for all the incoming passengers from DC - there turned out to be about 10 of us going to San Antonio - which was nice of them.   So we made our connecting flight, thank you Southwest!  Supposed to arrive in San Antonio by 11 pm originally, but due to the delay did not get there till about 2 a.m.  Got home and just crashed and did not wake up until around 9:30 on Tuesday morning.

Tuesday:  Had the day off, thankfully!  Gail and I went woke up still feeling VERY lethargic.  We headed to Randolph Air Force Base, where I did 3.2 mile run/walk and Gail walked for an hour, shaking off that jetlag, aahh, nice, and much better.  Since we did not get to the base until 10:30 the weather was quite different from DC:  already 80 degrees, 87% humidity, and  a dewpoint above 73.  I was drenched in sweat when I finished and the cold shower I took post-run felt great.

Today I have the day off also.  It is a rest day from running, but I will probably mow the lawn today.  After that, just chill out, maybe even nap in the middle of the day on what is normally a work day, how 'decadent."  Wink  Then tomorrow back to work, where I will probably be playing 'catch-up' for two days!

That's been my week so far!  OK, on to some personals.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Good luck with your miles tonite, Margo.  Your weather sounds nice.  It is HOT in Texas...in the 90s here all week.

Good luck with your upcoming harder runs, Kristin!  Congrats on your 10 mile race too!

Enjoy the retirement part, Jerry!

Gee, Awood, maybe your neighbor was thinking you were the one who was speedy!  Congrats on your miles!

Lots of penguins on vacation or sleeping in today?  Is Damaris back from San Fran yet?

OK, off to mow my lawn...and then nap!  Joking

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Another day off work since I have a fever, but I feel better today.  SRD

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Tonight there is a Worship Leaders Appreciation Dinner at our church.  DH is on the cooking team, and as a singer I get to go be appreciated.  It'll be very nice, hanging out with a lot of friends, good food, etc.  Then hopefully we can get home at a reasonable hour and get up early for W1D2 tomorrow morning.  I don't try to get up early the morning after quartet or chorus practice, since I don't get home until 11:00 or so.  So we might only get 3 days in this week, instead of 4.  It's all good -- the program is 3 days per week anyway, I just wanted to get in a fourth so that we're spending a little more time on the road.  Anyway ...

Phillie -- sounds like a wonderful day!!  Not so much here, it's supposed to be mid 80's and rainy.  Humidity was 91% this morning.  Tomorrow should be better, though, the rain should move out overnight.

kristin -- woo-hoo for your easy run!!

Jerryb -- my dad retired this year too -- he's been retired for about 4 days now.  He's loving it!!

awood -- woo-hoo for your and your speedy neighbor!!

Scotty -- welcome home!!  Glad your trip was so nice, and awesome that you have today off too!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Bin Running

Just returned home to see it covered in haze. The slash and burning from Indonesia is blowing over. With the air quality at an healthy level, no running for me. Hope some rain or wind will bring us some relieve.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Zelanie

Morning!  Ran 3 this AM, but should have stopped at 2.  My knee is definitely swollen and hurts to bend.  Going down stairs sideways.  PT today, we'll see what he has to say.  Also volunteering at the local track meet.

But for now, going in to work (yes, I know it's summer, still somehow working 5 days this week between weight watchers and teaching committees and such).

GinnyinPA

Margo - enjoy your run this evening.  It's coolish here, but still feels humid, though the wind may blow some of that damp away.

Kristin - did the miles this a.m. go well?  Maybe do two or three this evening as well to make up the planned miles?

Jerry - have fun at the party.

Awood- nice paces.

Scotty - I'm glad your trip was generally a good one, aside from too much time spent in airports.  Enjoy your rest day.

Damaris - I'm sorry you're still sick.  Hope the fever passes quickly. How's the tummy?

HopesMom - have fun at your appreciation dinner.  That's a nice idea, showing appreciation to the many people who make things happen.

Bin - did you do a race report?  I hope the wind shifts, so you can run soon.  Smart not to push it though.  I've been out in heavy smoke and ash, and it's hard on the lungs and eyes.

Zelanie - I hope your PT can help this time.  Is the track meet today?  Have fun.

AFM:  I'll do a short recovery run this afternoon, probably on the TM to keep it easy.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Scott:  Glad you had a successful trip.  Reminded me of my early days in the government when I felt like "The Virginian Apts" in Arlington was my second home.  Always liked going to the "Top Deck" for Happy Hour.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I just ate lunch.  Ask me in 1-2 hours.  First real food in days.

Margo - enjoy your run this evening.  It's coolish here, but still feels humid, though the wind may blow some of that damp away.

Kristin - did the miles this a.m. go well?  Maybe do two or three this evening as well to make up the planned miles?

Jerry - have fun at the party.

Awood- nice paces.

Scotty - I'm glad your trip was generally a good one, aside from too much time spent in airports.  Enjoy your rest day.

Damaris - I'm sorry you're still sick.  Hope the fever passes quickly. How's the tummy?

HopesMom - have fun at your appreciation dinner.  That's a nice idea, showing appreciation to the many people who make things happen.

Bin - did you do a race report?  I hope the wind shifts, so you can run soon.  Smart not to push it though.  I've been out in heavy smoke and ash, and it's hard on the lungs and eyes.

Zelanie - I hope your PT can help this time.  Is the track meet today?  Have fun.

AFM:  I'll do a short recovery run this afternoon, probably on the TM to keep it easy.

Damaris