Beginners and Beyond

Mo sun, Mo heat, MonDAILIES (Read 47 times)

Half Crazy K 2.0

Scottydawg, finally! Someone whose house is warmer than ours. The coolest we keep the AC is 77, we let it get up to 81 during the day. We then keep it cool in winter, but have 2 gas fireplaces for extra warmth.

LRB

He's 9, so I only expect this phase has ended already.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I guess my wife and I are lucky we both like it warm.  We don't even turn our A/C on in the summer until the temp hits the 90s.   And even then, we have our a/c set around 82 to 83 degrees.  We probably have one of the lowest electric bills in San Antonio during the summer, lol.  Which makes up for our 'winter', because on cold days we do crank the heat up.

If you ever visit San Antonio, we can put you up...but if you don't like it WARM in the house then you might prefer a hotel/motel, lol.

People turn off their ACs?  We never do!

Damaris

adkkev

What is this "a/c" gadget y'all are referring to??  

LRB

It is 73 in our office today but routinely is 68 which is too damned cold.

I could not imagine it being 66, I would have to smack someone if I had to sit in that all day!

DavePNW

I wish I knew.

Dave

Zelanie

Even though we live in the PNW, we put in AC after we got our house.  It's in a new neighborhood built on farmland, so there are no trees or any shade.  Plus we have a ton of southern-facing windows.  It got so hot upstairs without AC!  It has been really warm this summer- I've already lost count of the 100+ degree days, so it's been a good purchase!  Plus we can feel less guilty running it once we get our solar panels installed, right?  Since we're keeping track, we keep ours at 76-78.

Today I am planning for 8, plus I have a ton of stuff to do because we're heading to Colorado to visit my family tomorrow.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

It's called cross ventilation, which you can get by opening two windows, and if necessary turning on a fan.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                        06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

cjones1

It's called cross ventilation, which you can get by opening two windows, and if necessary turning on a fan.

This reminds me of my grandparents house back in the 80s.  It could be 120 degrees outside, and they would never turn the air on.  They just had this giant metal fan the size of a Buick sitting in the living room blowing air hot enough to burn your nose hairs off.

PRs:

5k - 20:51 - 9/5/15

10k - 47:00 - 5/25/15

15k - 1:10:19 - 11/21/15

13.1 - 1:42:25- 4/25/15

26.2 - TBD (someday)

Hip Redux

This reminds me of my grandparents house back in the 80s.  It could be 120 degrees outside, and they would never turn the air on.  They just had this giant metal fan the size of a Buick sitting in the living room blowing air hot enough to burn your nose hairs off.

You could catch a cold if you got a chill!

At least that was the logic of my grandparents, who kept their house at a temp that would rival Death Valley in July.

LRB

The answer to everything back then was to sit still and stop moving, then we would not be as hot. 

Hip Redux

The answer to everything back then was to sit still and stop moving, then we would not be as hot. 

Yes, I heard that more than once.

And my grandparents had one of those plastic covers on the couch, so it meant you were to sit and not move while the plastic basically melted to your thighs.

onemile

10 miles at recovery tonight, after work. Btw, I finished the week with 61 miles, not 64 like I was hoping. I went out last night and had too much wine. I was too tired when I came home for even just a short 2-3 miler. So Dave, you win.

I'm proud of you!

LRB

Yes, I heard that more than once.

And my grandparents had one of those plastic covers on the couch, so it meant you were to sit and not move while the plastic basically melted to your thighs.

lol - I remember those, and carpet runners, and hanging beads.

It's like if you didn't have those three things (along with a floor model TV and a stereo console), your family was nowhere man. lol

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Even though we live in the PNW, we put in AC after we got our house.  It's in a new neighborhood built on farmland, so there are no trees or any shade.  Plus we have a ton of southern-facing windows.  It got so hot upstairs without AC!  It has been really warm this summer- I've already lost count of the 100+ degree days, so it's been a good purchase!  Plus we can feel less guilty running it once we get our solar panels installed, right?  Since we're keeping track, we keep ours at 76-78.

Today I am planning for 8, plus I have a ton of stuff to do because we're heading to Colorado to visit my family tomorrow.

We don't have solar panels and we also keep it at those temps all the time.

Damaris