Beginners and Beyond

Mo sun, Mo heat, MonDAILIES (Read 47 times)

DavePNW

Even though we live in the PNW, we put in AC after we got our house.  It's in a new neighborhood built on farmland, so there are no trees or any shade.  Plus we have a ton of southern-facing windows.  It got so hot upstairs without AC!  It has been really warm this summer- I've already lost count of the 100+ degree days, so it's been a good purchase!  Plus we can feel less guilty running it once we get our solar panels installed, right?  Since we're keeping track, we keep ours at 76-78.

They just don't do A/C around here. Saw some stats on this. Nationwide, 87% of new construction homes have central air. In Seattle, it's 25%.

The house we are moving into was built in 2003, and is reasonably upscale, but has no A/C.  It has been pretty tough in my apartment for some stretches this summer, there is no cross-ventilation. Hopefully by the time we get into the house (10 days!) we will have missed the worst of it for the year. But if we have another summer like this next year, I imagine we will want to put it in. Bedroom windows face east, which I guess is a good thing.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

This reminds me of my grandparents house back in the 80s.  It could be 120 degrees outside, and they would never turn the air on.  They just had this giant metal fan the size of a Buick sitting in the living room blowing air hot enough to burn your nose hairs off.

That fan is now used for running on the TM...at my house.

Damaris

cjones1

Yes, I heard that more than once.

And my grandparents had one of those plastic covers on the couch, so it meant you were to sit and not move while the plastic basically melted to your thighs.

Yes, and my they called the couch a devinette.

Grandma: "Stop running around and sit down on the devinette (pointing towards the couch.)

Me:

PRs:

5k - 20:51 - 9/5/15

10k - 47:00 - 5/25/15

15k - 1:10:19 - 11/21/15

13.1 - 1:42:25- 4/25/15

26.2 - TBD (someday)

cjones1

That fan is now used for running on the TM...at my house.

Be careful, I'm pretty sure that thing blew hard enough to influence the tides.

PRs:

5k - 20:51 - 9/5/15

10k - 47:00 - 5/25/15

15k - 1:10:19 - 11/21/15

13.1 - 1:42:25- 4/25/15

26.2 - TBD (someday)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Be careful, I'm pretty sure that thing blew hard enough to influence the tides.

I cannot wear anything with sparkles while running there for fear they would fall off!

Damaris

happylily

I'm proud of you!

haha...  (it's not that I'm wiser. I'm just getting too old for both drinking and running on the same day )

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

They just don't do A/C around here. Saw some stats on this. Nationwide, 87% of new construction homes have central air. In Seattle, it's 25%.

It must be cost prohibitive, otherwise it would be a no brainer. No biggie though, I can always send my man Chauncey out there to hook you up if necessary.

LRB

haha...  (it's not that I'm wiser. I'm just getting too old for both drinking and running on the same day )

I was going to do some stuff on the BOSU last night but thought better of it for the same reason. It was like common sense kicked in and asked, "Dude? Seriously?". 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

It must be cost prohibitive, otherwise it would be a no brainer. No biggie though, I can always send my man Chauncey out there to hook you up if necessary.

That might be it.  In PR, hardly anyone has central AC.  They might have a box AC in the bedroom.  Why?  Because even turning that AC anything longer than 6 hours will turn the electric bill into a $500 WTF bill.

Damaris

StepbyStep-SH

This reminds me of my grandparents house back in the 80s.  It could be 120 degrees outside, and they would never turn the air on.  They just had this giant metal fan the size of a Buick sitting in the living room blowing air hot enough to burn your nose hairs off.

But talking through a fan was wonderful fun! As was sticking little pieces of paper into it - at least until you got caught.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Cyberic

We turn on the AC for a total of maybe 10-14 days per year. We wait until it goes to above 80 in the house, and if it's humid, we start it. We put it on 75-77, which might not look like a big difference, but it kills the humidity, and that it huge for my comfort.

DavePNW

I'm told there is usually about a week every summer you wish you had it. So people don't bother having it. This summer has been very unusual.

Dave

DavePNW

10 miles at recovery tonight, after work. Btw, I finished the week with 61 miles, not 64 like I was hoping. I went out last night and had too much wine. I was too tired when I came home for even just a short 2-3 miler. So Dave, you win.

Truly a rare occurrence, I will have to mark my calendar!

Dave

LRB

I'm told there is usually about a week every summer you wish you had it. 

The same can be said for 4-wheel drive in the Midwest. Like who in their right mind would sacrifice a year's worth of not as great gas mileage for a couple of uses in the dead of winter when they probably should just stay at home anyway. 

Zelanie

I'm told there is usually about a week every summer you wish you had it. So people don't bother having it. This summer has been very unusual.

Yeah, but last summer was "unusual" too.   I think what it is is that people won't pay enough more for a house with AC that the builders can count on making their money back if they put it in.

We were able to get a 0% finance deal that seemed reasonable, so it wasn't too painful to put it in.