Beginners and Beyond

The 1st Fridailies (Read 33 times)

onemile

Correct.  I have a couple of tech hoodies that I wear for cold weather (anywhere from 35 degrees down).  When it gets really cold, I just wearing a thicker base layer.  My body doesn't get cold...the feet and hands are my problem areas.

ETA:  8 degrees with a steady -10 wind chill.  Note the frost on my head.  Big grin

That looks like a jacket to me

Baboon

delicate flower

Donuts at work this morning.  I ate one and now my stomach feels blah.  This is why DW calls me "delicate flower."

<3

KCRuns

(I actually didn't need the jacket, it was too warm for that, but I needed the hood because otherwise my hair would run.  Problems.)

Why don't you do like old ladies leaving the salon and wrap a plastic bag around just your hair?  You can knot or clip it into place.  Then you don't need the jacket.  You'll look ridiculous, but it at least would be more comfortable.

Cyberic

Even when it's 5 degrees out? I can't imagine not wearing a jacket on those cold days.

I wear a jacket in the cold, but it's extremely breathable. Half of the arms are made of Spandex (underneath), and the whole back is Spandex. There's mesh in the arm pits. So the front, the shoulder area and the top of the arms are made of fabric that actually shields from the wind. It's  actually a softshell, and not a jacket, as it is tight.

It does not have a hood, but I don't think I would use it anyways.

I would not wear a real jacket, like Gore-Tex all around, even in the dead of winter. I like to keep dry, if possible.

KCRuns

Correct.  I have a couple of tech hoodies that I wear for cold weather (anywhere from 35 degrees down).  When it gets really cold, I just wearing a thicker base layer.  My body doesn't get cold...the feet and hands are my problem areas.

ETA:  8 degrees with a steady -10 wind chill.  Note the frost on my head.  Big grin

I see frost on your head and a jacket on your body.

Cyberic

That looks like a jacket to me

+1

bluerun

Super B****

Why don't you do like old ladies leaving the salon and wrap a plastic bag around just your hair?  You can knot or clip it into place.  Then you don't need the jacket.  You'll look ridiculous, but it at least would be more comfortable.

That's not a terrible idea, actually... I wonder if a cap would stay on my head if I put a shower cap under it??

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

+1

The man is wearing a full zip, sweatshirt hoodie - or so he'll claim. Nice jacket though Smile

I actually love a good running jacket, and probably have about 37 too many.

Good runs last night...ended with about 15.5, and the run home from the trail engendered a little less suffering than usual, so that was a plus. Something like 6 to 8 tonight just to keep the ball rolling.

Hope everyone is having a pleasant Friday!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I see I'm not the only one who accumulates sweat in the bends of my elbows.  No frost there.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Greta's Run 5k, 5/19; Scotch Plains 5k, 6/12

KCRuns

That's not a terrible idea, actually... I wonder if a cap would stay on my head if I put a shower cap under it??

IDK.  They do make rain covers for just your head, I bet a shower cap would stay in place under one of those, but I guess it depends on what kind you use.  They also make shower caps now that have pretty strong elastic.  One of those might be enough on its own, especially if you add a couple of hair clips on the side.  It's worth playing around with some different options.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I actually love a good running jacket, and probably have about 37 too many.

I have a couple, but what I really need is a good running windbreaker.  I've given up on staying dry as I always break a sweat in the first mile even if I'm so lightly dressed that I'll be cold after an hour.  So, since I'm always damp, I tend to need a windbreaker to keep the effects of wind on wet clothes from chilling me too much, especially late in a long run.  I have two jackets that would qualify, but one is too lose (it's really a camper's rain jacket) and the other too warm.

KCRuns

I have a couple, but what I really need is a good running windbreaker.  I've given up on staying dry as I always break a sweat in the first mile even if I'm so lightly dressed that I'll be cold after an hour.  So, since I'm always damp, I tend to need a windbreaker to keep the effects of wind on wet clothes from chilling me too much, especially late in a long run.  I have two jackets that would qualify, but one is too lose (it's really a camper's rain jacket) and the other too warm.

I use a windbreaker vest over my layers.  It's amazing and then I don't get too wet from the sweat, but my core stays nice and warm, even with the cold wind.  When the wind is really high, I add a wind proof base layer like they make for cyclists, it has the wind panel in the front and arms and mesh in the back for venting.

bluerun

Super B****

IDK.  They do make rain covers for just your head, I bet a shower cap would stay in place under one of those, but I guess it depends on what kind you use.  They also make shower caps now that have pretty strong elastic.  One of those might be enough on its own, especially if you add a couple of hair clips on the side.  It's worth playing around with some different options.

I don't need to do this ALL the time, just until I'm sure the color has set enough so it won't run out onto my clothes... which should be any day now.  But this lovely weather gives me a few more days to try things out.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Morning Runners

Easy 4 plus drills and some strides. Tomorrow’s forecast is looking terribly hot and humid. Hoping the forecasted lightning doesn’t affect the event.

I usually dont bother trying to keep dry with a jacket. You always get wet no matter what.

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I use a windbreaker vest over my layers.  

I never heard of a windbreaker vest.  Sounds like a great idea.  I'll have to see where I can find one.