Beginners and Beyond

Frozen hands: I am not going through this crap again! (Read 147 times)

LRB

Last winter, I caught natural hell trying to keep my hands warm.  Specifically my left hand, which often felt like a block of ice by the time my run was done.  So I doubled up, went fleece, went knit and fleece, but with a steady diet of winds in the teens, and single digit wind chills, nothing worked.

So this year I have sworn that that would not happen again and went out and bought wind-blocker gloves, and another pair with 60 grams on insulation and you know what?  no matter what combination I have tried thus far, it is last year all over again, and it is only November!

So what do you peeps do to keep your paws warm?  I considered using hand warmers, but that would just be one more thing for me to forget try to remember when going out for a run.

Thanks

Zelanie

I  am trying hand warmers this year. We don't get cold temps like you get there, but there are enough mid-30 and raining days out here, and my hands turn white and go numb.

I bought a whole box on hand warmers, but it's only been cold enough to use them once so far. I am thinking they will go well with mittens.

rainmakerrc

Mittens are the way to go.  Make sure the liner is also a mitten (and not a glove).  Keeping your fingers together will help to keep them warm.  I bought a pair of Brooks Utopia 2-in-1 mittens last year, and they have worked well for me.

PADRunner

I've got some thin UA  gloves. I try to use them < 50. They help block the wind but < 40 they still freeze. Hands & feet both!

hog4life

I keep hearing mittens are the wat to go.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

I did a 12 mile run this morning and it was 28 with a feels like of 18. My hands warmed up around mile 4.  I wear cheap brown jersey gloves but I know they aren't good for much colder temps. Mitten would be a better choice - I am looking for some myself. One thing I was thimking of trying this morning was to wear surgical gloves under my cheapo gloves - they would break the wind but the downside is your hands will probably sweat. I want to try them just to see if the sweating is an issue i.e. soggy hands or getting cold because of wet hands. When I raced motorcycles in the winter we would wear the surgical gloves to mostly break the wind.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Wear a hat. Wink

Love the Half

+ a bunch to mittens.

Or just run a lot harder.  Joking

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Do you have Raynaud's, LRB?

Running is dumb.

LRB

Do you have Raynaud's, LRB?

I dunno.  I do not know anything about it.

happylily

I dunno.  I do not know anything about it.

It's caused by slow blood flow. Your fingers, toes, etc... don't get warmed up by your blood circulation in a normal way. It's often hereditary. My mother has it and so do I. In general, it's nothing serious, just a pain in winter. Are your toes freezing as well, or only your hands/fingers? I agree that mittens are much better than gloves. Nothing like skin against skin to help stay warm.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Nothing like skin against skin to help stay warm.

Well said.

Dave

LRB

It's caused by slow blood flow. Your fingers, toes, etc... don't get warmed up by your blood circulation in a normal way. It's often hereditary. My mother has it and so do I. In general, it's nothing serious, just a pain in winter. Are your toes freezing as well, or only your hands/fingers? I agree that mittens are much better than gloves. Nothing like skin against skin to help stay warm.

No my feet/toes are fine and my right hand does not get as cold as the left one.  It is really only a problem when the temps and or wind chill drops below 20, which unfortunately around these parts, happens quite often.

U wearing your watch on your left wrist? Taking it off will help. Happens to my left hand all the time.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                              LRB

U wearing your watch on your left wrist? Taking it off will help. Happens to my left hand all the time.

Yep, I should hang that stupid thing from a lanyard and put it around my neck!