Beginners and Beyond

FallThursDailies (Read 35 times)

LRB

Truer words have never been spoken.

I ran 5 with my run group, and when we got back to our cars (when they were going to leave, and I was planning on logging some more miles) we noticed that 2 of the ladies had their cars broken into. Sad I Felt so badly for them. So, no extra miles were logged, and a whole lot of phone calls were made. Poor ladies. Sad

That's awful. I haven't had to deal with that...yet

Half Crazy K 2.0

Not cool

I'm fairly certain there are notes on my file that they should not piss me off. Each time they have, it is always that they dramatically underestimate how long it will take. I DGAF that you only have 1 machine to do alignments, if you said there service would take 90 minutes and at the 2+ hour point you tell me that, I have every right to be pissed. And you act put off that I interrupted your lunch ordering decisions.

Let's just say I rarely feel the love at Subaru

Half Crazy K 2.0

ROS, sorry the favorite crime in my area made it out your way.

Cyberic

Toronto is/was on my short list of international races and at the time when I was looking at it the plan was to wear a pace band in miles and just use the course clock or my watch as a timer in the event something got screwed up. Other than that I wouldn't put too much energy in it as I suck at math on a warm day while sitting under a tree. That suckage increases tenfold when running so there is no point in me doing anything but something extremely basic!

Great things are said about the Totonto marathon. Just saying.

I am pretty good at converting distance from miles to kms and the other way around,  it's pace that confuses me: there's the 1.6 (or 0.6 depending in what direction) conversion from miles to kms, but the 60 seconds to a minute add a layer of complexity that my brain won't process in (near) real time like when I'm just converting distance.

Maybe I should spend time really figuring out if I could come up with a quick way to approximate pace conversion. But as of now, I have none.

LRB

I am pretty good at converting distance from miles to kms and the other way around,  it's pace that confuses me: there's the 1.6 (or 0.6 depending in what direction) conversion from miles to kms, but the 60 seconds to a minute add a layer of complexity that my brain won't process in (near) real time like when I'm just converting distance.

This might as well have been written in Hebrew, in which case I would need blue to make sense of it for me!

Cyberic

This might as well have been written in Hebrew, in which case I would need blue to make sense of it for me!

# kms x 0.6 = # miles

# miles x 1.6 = # kilometers

That is not the exact conversion factor, but close enough.

I know this does not really interest you, but I'm still going to explain how to calculate it fast.

Say you want to convert 26 miles. You have to multiply by 1.6.

Multiplying by 1.6 is the same as adding the number + half the number + 0.1 x the number  (1 + 0.5 + 0.1 = 1.6)

So converting 26 miles to kms is roughly the same as adding 26 + 13 (half) + 2.6 (0.1) = 41.6 kms

The actual conversion is 41.84, so pretty close

The other way around, if you want to convert 50K, you multiply by 0.6

Multiplying by 0.6 is the same as adding half the number + 0.1 x the number (0.5 + 0.1 = 0.6)

So 50 K is 25 (half) + 5 (0.1) = 30 miles

The actual conversion is 31.07, so again, close enough.

bluerun

Super B****

# kms x 0.6 = # miles

I know this does not really interest you, but I'm still going to explain how to calculate it fast.

Multiplying by 1.6 is the same as adding the number + half the number + 0.1 x the number  (1 + 0.5 + 0.1 = 1.6)

So converting 26 miles to kms is roughly the same as adding 26 + 13 (half) + 2.6 (0.1) = 41.6 kms

Multiplying by 0.6 is the same as adding half the number + 0.1 x the number (0.5 + 0.1 = 0.6)

This is way too much math to do on a run. It's way too much math to do not on a run! (My "close enough" is just for 5K ... 25:00 is 5:00/km and close enough to 8:00/mile for me to be okay with it.)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

From the Internet.

Little over 5 miles done and I'm super hungry all the time and feel like I need to be running more, lol. I'll do a workout tomorrow and that will keep some of the taper crazies at bay!

DavePNW

# kms x 0.6 = # miles

LRB should be clear now.

Dave

LRB

LRB should be clear now.

Crystal. Like:

bluerun

Super B****

The easiest thing to do with international marathons, really, is to change the distance on your watch to km but keep the pace in miles... that way you know if you're relatively close to the official distance, but your pace actually means something to you. You can change it back to miles after the fact. (I only know this because I did it when I ran my age.)

chasing the impossible

Cyberic

You guys are not even trying.   I'm sure if you tried a little bit to understand what I wrote, you could easily do it.

But I expected as much. Why even bother, right?

LRB

The easiest thing to do with international marathons, really, is to change the distance on your watch to km but keep the pace in miles... that way you know if you're relatively close to the official distance, but your pace actually means something to you. You can change it back to miles after the fact. (I only know this because I did it when I ran my age.)

bluerun

Super B****

You guys are not even trying.   I'm sure if you tried a little bit to understand what I wrote, you could easily do it.

But I expected as much. Why even bother, right?

I understand it. I can't do math like that in my head, and I'm not about to run with a calculator, so it doesn't help me while I'm running a race.

chasing the impossible

DavePNW

That makes sense, although I wouldn't bother. All I really look at is my pace for each mile anyway. If I see the course is long, I'm not going to try to run faster. Incidentally the race I did had mile markers every 5 miles.

Dave