Beginners and Beyond

Woman Runs London Marathon Without a Tampon, Bleeds Freely to Raise Awareness (Read 99 times)

emmbee

queen of headlamps

You know, I think it works as activism.  It has everyone talking about it, and lack of access to hygienic ways of dealing with monthly bleeding means that (for example) many girls have to quit school once they start menstruating in some parts of the world, so it is a significant problem.  This isn't just a matter of tampons for sports, but having to use sawdust, dirty rags, etc.

I mean, also, ew.  But if she's going for memorable and attracting publicity, she's done it.

Hip Redux

You know, I think it works as activism.  It has everyone talking about it, and lack of access to hygienic ways of dealing with monthly bleeding means that (for example) many girls have to quit school once they start menstruating in some parts of the world, so it is a significant problem.  This isn't just a matter of tampons for sports, but having to use sawdust, dirty rags, etc.

I mean, also, ew.  But if she's going for memorable and attracting publicity, she's done it.

Do you think anyone has donated time or money to this problem because of this lady?   I mean, I haven't even bothered to look up any sort of charity that might support the cause.

bluerun

Super B****

Missed opportunity!

There's always next month 

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Do you think anyone has donated time or money to this problem because of this lady?   I mean, I haven't even bothered to look up any sort of charity that might support the cause.

You've never heard of The Crimson Tide.

You people have issues 

Hip Redux

You've never heard of The Crimson Tide.

War Eagles!

onemile

It's been done.  Surely you don't want me to resurrect that picture...

He should have claimed it was intentional! A source of pride!

Mmmmm...beer

I get that there are a lot of women in the world who don't have access to tampons/pads (or food, clean water, etc., etc.), but is period shaming really a thing?  Does that mean that the promotion of soap and deodorant is a form of body odor shaming?

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

bluerun

Super B****

I get that there are a lot of women in the world who don't have access to tampons/pads (or food, clean water, etc., etc.), but is period shaming really a thing?  Does that mean that the promotion of soap and deodorant is a form of body odor shaming?

Someone should run a race without deodorant.

I actually did that.  Except NOT ON PURPOSE.  And there is the fact that I don't sweat all that much, so it kind of defeats the purpose... it needs to be someone who is a heavy perspirer.  Hm.

chasing the impossible

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

In some cultures, it is.

Well, she did something right, because everybody is talking about what she did.

Damaris

bluerun

Super B****

In some cultures, it is.

So ... now women who don't have access to tampons will have access to tampons??  Not quite sure how having everyone talk about her is actually HELPFUL.

chasing the impossible

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

True, although she wanted "awareness", not tampons for everybody, so technically, she achieved that.

Damaris

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

True, although she wanted "awareness", not tampons for everybody, so technically, she achieved that.

So back to the shitter...  Not-intentional I presume, but he raised awareness successfully as well.

"Hey look! Sometimes you crap yourselves on long runs! and you can keep running! Yay!"

***Insert a long diatribe that rambles off until the soapbox is found - rant rant - off soapbox, closing statement.  Done***

Mmmmm...beer

In some cultures, it is.

Some cultures suck. (and sometimes ours does too!)

She definitely raised awareness!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

onemile

Couldn't she have just had a shirt printed that said "HELLO! I HAVE MY PERIOD!" instead of making a gross mess ? But I guess blood stained tights are more... dramatic.

LRB

Couldn't she have just had a shirt printed that said "HELLO! I HAVE CRAMPS! GET OUT OF MY WAY BEFORE I RIP YOUR FUCKING HEAD OFF! ROAAAAR!" instead of making a gross mess ? But I guess blood stained tights are more... dramatic.