Beginners and Beyond

Woman Runs London Marathon Without a Tampon, Bleeds Freely to Raise Awareness (Read 99 times)

happylily

Rick... hahaha...

She wasn't trying to get attention on a Third World problem. She was just trying to get attention on herself. Because she's a "star".

Anyway, my grandmother, who was born in 1909, did not have tampons and she lived just fine. Women around the world have worse problems than not having access to the finest sanitary products. Let's just start when honor killings, denied access to education, forced marriages and female genital mutilations. I think those problems are a little more important than not having any tampax.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Nope, just saw it on Facebook but I am on my phone so I can't post the link. She was pretty much doing it for the "Free Bleed" movement. 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Nope, just saw it on Facebook but I am on my phone so I can't post the link. She was pretty much doing it for the "Free Bleed" movement. 

Bleeding liberal?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Zelanie

Rick... hahaha...

Let's just start when honor killings, denied access to education, forced marriages and female genital mutilations. I think those problems are a little more important than not having any tampax.

The one thing I've read that connects is that many girls stop going to school when they starting having periods,  especially if they don't have access to sanitary products and there aren't good toilet facilities or water at their schools. So it becomes an education /economic issue at that point.

happylily

The one thing I've read that connects is that many girls stop going to school when they starting having periods,  especially if they don't have access to sanitary products and there aren't good toilet facilities or water at their schools. So it becomes an education /economic issue at that point.

Zel, you could convince me of anything, because it's you and I know you\re intelligent. I don't need you to perform a stunt to explain something serious to me. Thank you for pointing this out. You are right. It does have consequences in these girls' lives.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

StepbyStep-SH

If anyone is truly interested in helping girls in those countries, this is one organization: Days for Girls. I have not been personally involved, but I know that some of the families in DS's 4-H club have volunteered with a local group, possibly through their church, to make kits with reusable sanitary pads.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Zelanie

Thanks for the link.

If there's more awareness raising that we need, apparently we can tweet our periods to Donald Trump. Bonus points if we do it while running a marathon?

cjones1

Just dropping by to say this thread is fantastic.  Very entertaining.  Ok, carry on. Smile

PRs:

5k - 20:51 - 9/5/15

10k - 47:00 - 5/25/15

15k - 1:10:19 - 11/21/15

13.1 - 1:42:25- 4/25/15

26.2 - TBD (someday)

Brilliant

If anyone is truly interested in helping girls in those countries, this is one organization: Days for Girls. I have not been personally involved, but I know that some of the families in DS's 4-H club have volunteered with a local group, possibly through their church, to make kits with reusable sanitary pads.

My friends and I have sewn pads for Days for Girls.  It's life-changing for the girls who receive the kits, to have a discreet, hygienic way to deal with their monthly flow.  Otherwise they literally stay home during their cycle, because of the taboo.  (they'd be horrified at the photo of Ms. Gandhi, even though she says she did it for them).

Brilliant

Thanks for the link.

If there's more awareness raising that we need, apparently we can tweet our periods to Donald Trump. Bonus points if we do it while running a marathon?

Haha, I think 30 years from now the only thing I'll remember about the 2016 presidential election is "blood coming out of her wherever."

DavePNW

Haha, I think 30 years from now the only thing I'll remember about the 2016 presidential election is "blood coming out of her wherever."

Don't be so sure. It's not over yet.

Dave

Hip Redux

(and yes, that is satire)

tracilynn

BUT, but the chafing!

~~~~~~~

Traci