Beginners and Beyond

Forerunner 620 (Read 54 times)

Cyberic

My 610 has frozen up on me twice already, and although I *might* give it another try and hope it was because the foot pod's battery was dying, it will definitely not survive a third time.

So I'm shopping. Right now there's a good deal on the 620 at Costco Canada. When I look at user reviews on Amazon, there seems to be some issues with that watch also. I don't want to pay just to swap my poison for another poison.

I think a few people here own 620s. Any issue at all? I'm talking current issues, and not old issues that have been fixed, like Baboon's early adopter's bugs.

MTA: I'm thinking the 230 is interesting also because of the 44% larger display space with the same physical watch size.

LRB

My 610 has frozen up on me twice already, and although I *might* give it another try and hope it was because the foot pod's battery was dying, it will definitely not survive a third time.

So I'm shopping. Right now there's a good deal on the 620 at Costco Canada. When I look at user reviews on Amazon, there seems to be some issues with that watch also. I don't want to pay just to swap my poison for another poison.

I think a few people here own 620s. Any issue at all? I'm talking current issues, and not old issues that have been fixed, like Baboon's early adopter's bugs.

MTA: I'm thinking the 230 is interesting also because of the 44% larger display space with the same physical watch size.

I am not sure of what issues there may be, but my 620 is the girl I took home to meet my parents. Now granted, it's only my third GPS watch (so I don't have a lot of experience with them), but in a word; it's wonderful.

onemile

I like my 620 a lot.  I like the size. The wifi upload is so much easier than the old ant+ stick deal.  The bluetooth upload is handy.

The V02 stats are entertaining.  The cadence/accelerometer is inaccurate.

The only "issue" I have had is with the sync cable and getting it to recognize my watch is plugged in.  I have had to reset my garmin a couple times in order to get my computer to recognize it.  I have also had one cable stop working and had to replace the cable itself.

Cyberic

I like my 620 a lot.  I like the size. The wifi upload is so much easier than the old ant+ stick deal.  The bluetooth upload is handy.

The only "issue" I have had is with the sync cable and getting it to recognize my watch is plugged in.  I have had to reset my garmin a couple times in order to get my computer to recognize it.  I have also had one cable stop working and had to replace the cable itself.

I heard some compaints about wifi not working... Yeah, the Ant+ stick works for me, but still sucks, so wifi is definitely a feature I would enjoy.

The cable issue thing is ok now? Or does it still happen at times?

onemile

I heard some compaints about wifi not working... Yeah, the Ant+ stick works for me, but still sucks, so wifi is definitely a feature I would enjoy.

The cable issue thing is ok now? Or does it still happen at times?

95% of the time, my run is uploaded automatically when I step in the door.  The other 5%, I have to either press the upload button on the watch or garmin connect is down or something.  I had more problems getting it to upload with the ant stick. Unplug/replug the Ant, Open/Close the garmin app.

The cable thing still happens on occasion. It seems resetting my garmin gets it working again.

Zelanie

Love my 235.  Gives me all of the useful stats I used to get on the 610, plus new bells and whistles from the wrist HRM (I never wore the strap on the 610).  For my purposes, I'm liking getting heart rate data back from my runs to make sure that I don't train myself into the ground this time around.  Plus the 235 does resting heart rate, too, so another good indicator of recovery.  I really didn't see anything in the 600 line this time around that made me feel like I needed it vs. the 235.

delicate flower

My 620 was finally operating like a champ when I got rid of it.  If I didn't start doing triathlons, I'd have kept the 620 and would have been perfectly happy with it.  There are probably good deals to be had on the 620 because the 630 is out now.

Re: 620 vs 230, the latter won't give you all those newfangled HRM-based running dynamics the 620 provides, if you care about avg vertical oscillation and shit.

<3

Cyberic

Re: 620 vs 230, the latter won't give you all those newfangled HRM-based running dynamics the 620 provides, if you care about avg vertical oscillation and shit.

I know, but I figure I'll wear the strap like 5-6 times for the new dynamics data, and when I know my ground contact time and vertical oscillation... well I'll know it. No use wearing the strap anymore. And not sure it will be useful to me.

The 230 doesn't have wifi and there's no touch screen (I love the 610's touch screen and read that it is even smoother on the 620). Those are the features I THiNK I'd miss out on by going with the 230, and not the dynamics.

Maybe I'm wrong and I'll start wearing my strap, but I doubt it.

Cyberic

I am not sure of what issues there may be, but my 620 is the girl I took home to meet my parents. Now granted, it's only my third GPS watch (so I don't have a lot of experience with them), but in a word; it's wonderful.

Bells and whistles are nice, but the watch must do the basic things correctly, like not freeze up during a workout, charge correctly, get GPS signal, upload the workouts... my 610 did all that until very recently. Now I need a new girl. I might be willing to try your girl's sister Smile

If it uploads by bluetooth & wifi, what do you need the cable for?

I could not be happier with my 220. I don't use a HRM or footpod, and have no interest in anything other than mileage & pace. Knock wood but it has never frozen up on me (yet), and the bluetooth sync with GC & RA has been (so far) trouble-free.

Dave

Zelanie

Honestly I don't miss the touchscreen even though I liked it.

I also like getting the first line of emails and texts to my watch if I'm on Bluetooth range.

LRB

I've never used the wifi feature, I upload 100% with Bluetooth via the Garmin app on my phone. I also get my custom workouts from Garmin Connect the same way. I only use the cable for charging, but what this shows is there are many ways to upload data (the same applies to the 220), which is cool.

I never really had a problem with the Ant+ stick and my 410, you just needed it to upload data. Whereas now, you don't.

Cyberic

I have a Windows phone, so bluetooth/garmin app is no good for me because, as usual, the app installs on iOS and Android

Cyberic

But since I have computers everywhere, I suppose I could enable Bluetooth on them and use the normal Garmin Connect app?

I have a Windows phone

There's yer problem.

Dave