Beginners and Beyond

Wet Weekend Penguins (Read 14 times)

GinnyinPA

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

GinnyinPA

At least some of us will get to experience rain, sleet and/or snow.

I plan on 4-6 later, but first the dog gets his rainy walk.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I'm hoping the snow holds off until after my half is over tomorrow...  That's all!

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

PADRunner

It got cold here but stayed dry. I still ran on the TM this morning though. I put out a yard of mulch in the garden this afternoon.

Zelanie

The experiment of trying to roll lots and run normally this week has made my leg worse.   I think I need to stop running and go get xrays.

GinnyinPA

Melanie - does it feel broken?  I thought you were able to feel knots in it?  In any case, rest should help.

PAD - nice early start on the gardening.

Jill - good luck tomorrow.

Spitting rain, but not serious while I ran. Tomorrow is supposed to be worse, so I did 8 today and will do shorter tomorrow if I have to do TM.

Zelanie

Melanie - does it feel broken?  I thought you were able to feel knots in it?  In any case, rest should help.

I couldn't tell if it was a knot in the muscle right under the bone, or the bone itself.  In any case, there's one super tender spot right on the inside of my leg (sort of up under the back of the bone), and that's where it hurts.  Stretching does nothing for it.  Rolling loosens up the muscles around it, but I haven't been able to find a knot.  But running hurts with every step, and doesn't get better as I warm up into the run.  I can sometimes not notice it as much if I'm doing speedwork, but then it starts hurting even when I'm not running.  Last night was a miserable run.  It was like I had no ability to push off the ground with that leg at all, in addition to how it hurt.  I almost felt like my foot was sliding backwards with every step.  Today I ran a mile on the TM just to see if the constant pace would help.  It hurt.  Not as bad as yesterday, but still that feeling every time my leg hit the belt.  Tomorrow I rest for the first time since November.  Hopefully I don't have to wait too long to get in somewhere.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I couldn't tell if it was a knot in the muscle right under the bone, or the bone itself.  In any case, there's one super tender spot right on the inside of my leg (sort of up under the back of the bone), and that's where it hurts.  Stretching does nothing for it.  Rolling loosens up the muscles around it, but I haven't been able to find a knot.  But running hurts with every step, and doesn't get better as I warm up into the run.  I can sometimes not notice it as much if I'm doing speedwork, but then it starts hurting even when I'm not running.  Last night was a miserable run.  It was like I had no ability to push off the ground with that leg at all, in addition to how it hurt.  I almost felt like my foot was sliding backwards with every step.  Today I ran a mile on the TM just to see if the constant pace would help.  It hurt.  Not as bad as yesterday, but still that feeling every time my leg hit the belt.  Tomorrow I rest for the first time since November.  Hopefully I don't have to wait too long to get in somewhere.

Zel - that sounds terrible.  I don't know if your area has ZocDoc but I've found them useful for finding appointments quickly.  There are user reviews of all of the doctors and you can filter by your insurance.  When I sprained my ankle a couple of years ago I immediately made an appointment with an orthopedist using ZocDoc instead of going to the ER where I would have sat around for hours in pain.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

Zel - that sounds terrible.  I don't know if your area has ZocDoc but I've found them useful for finding appointments quickly.  There are user reviews of all of the doctors and you can filter by your insurance.  When I sprained my ankle a couple of years ago I immediately made an appointment with an orthopedist using ZocDoc instead of going to the ER where I would have sat around for hours in pain.

Good idea- thanks!  There's a new fancy sports medicine facility in town, so I'm going to try to get in there first.  I have no idea what the wait will be- I put on the request form that I'm in marathon training and time matters, hopefully they will be sympathetic.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Did my 20th race of the year on Saturday, March 19th.   Report and photos on the front page somewhere.

Followed that up by doing a run at Lackland Air Force Base this morning.   Took a few photos along my route, showing some of the base flags flying, the overpasses I ran over, plane displays.   Slideshow - http://s1173.photobucket.com/user/nru443/slideshow/Lackland

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

It was cold and gray and windy so, after walking Ben, I had no desire to spend any more time outdoors.  I got on the TM to run six and had the same weird issue I had last week:  I kept feeling like my foot was slipping and I was about to fall.  I had to hold on to the handles for the first couple of miles before I got my normal sense of balance, and even then, every once in a while I would lose it.  I've run hundreds of miles on this TM without any problems, so why am I having such a hard time now?  I kept the pace really slow, though that almost seemed to make it worse.  I think my cadence was really slow, so my foot was on the belt longer than usual.  It has been a month since the marathon and I'm still not back to usual speed.

Half Crazy K 2.0

It was cold and gray and windy so, after walking Ben, I had no desire to spend any more time outdoors.  I got on the TM to run six and had the same weird issue I had last week:  I kept feeling like my foot was slipping and I was about to fall.  I had to hold on to the handles for the first couple of miles before I got my normal sense of balance, and even then, every once in a while I would lose it.  I've run hundreds of miles on this TM without any problems, so why am I having such a hard time now?  I kept the pace really slow, though that almost seemed to make it worse.  I think my cadence was really slow, so my foot was on the belt longer than usual.  It has been a month since the marathon and I'm still not back to usual speed.

I started having trouble on the treadmill over the winter. I think running outside on hills, my cadance varies, while on treadmill, it has to stay consistent. I also had sinus issues with the flip-flopping weather, which definitely contributed to feeling off. I wish I could say I found a solution, but it's only been to not run on the treadmill.

Zelanie

That's so weird!  I wonder if it's some sort of inner ear thing?  Maybe you've been fighting something but not really getting sick enough to notice at other times?