Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Boerne YMCA Turkey Trot 5K and 10K (Read 7 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full commentary report below.     

Photos Slideshow (no commentary):

https://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%2520Race%2520Reports/2019%2520Race%2520Number%252062%2520Boerne%2520YMCA%2520Turkey%2520Trot%25205K%252010K?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 62nd race of 2019 was The Boerne YMCA Family Turkey Trot 5K.  There was also a 10K, a 1-Mile walk, and a Kids Run.  Event was held at the Town Square in Boerne, Texas, about a 30-minute drive from where I live in San Antonio.  Weather was pretty cooperative, although a bit chilly before the start, at 43 degrees or so.  Warmed up quite nicely to around 47 after the sunrise.  Nice sunshine and blue skies for us.  I arrived with about an hour to go to the 8:05 a.m 5K start – the 10K started 5 minutes before the 5K- and got a few pre-start photos.

Boerne Town Square area

photo IMG_6735_zpsvzb2qp0o.jpg

photo IMG_6736_zpscva4brhr.jpg

photo IMG_6739_zpsy9vc5skx.jpg

photo IMG_6745_zpsyez5qmlt.jpg

photo IMG_6747_zpsk3yijvq6.jpg

Before the race crowd arrives

photo IMG_6740_zps7sfu0ub2.jpg

Company that did the race set up, timing, results, etc

photo IMG_6741_zps10exo8mw.jpg

This is part of the Boerne Riverwalk area, where the 1-mile walk took place

photo IMG_6734_zpsauctgtxi.jpg

photo IMG_6733_zps3yo1qu5t.jpg

Various participants, volunteers, etc

photo IMG_6738_zpsi43boyx5.jpg

You better, if you want that post-race Cowboy Breakfast

photo IMG_6742_zpsz7nenk3f.jpg

photo IMG_6743_zpszzd6hedc.jpg

photo IMG_6744_zpsnzicqkrs.jpg

photo IMG_6746_zps3j1lsnf9.jpg

Volunteers got long-sleeved pink tech tees

photo IMG_6748_zpsrudadahx.jpg

Participants got long-sleeved green tech tees

photo IMG_6749_zpsbufeu7cj.jpg

photo IMG_6750_zpsf64oeh5d.jpg

photo IMG_6751_zpsr9pgdayl.jpg

photo IMG_6752_zpsour8ae6w.jpg

photo IMG_6753_zpsp6sxhu2s.jpg

photo IMG_6754_zpsy1tsvtit.jpg

ON THE COURSE

We started on one side of the Town Square, went about halfway around it, then through a parking lot to some adjacent streets.  From here we were on paved streets taking us through some pretty nice neighborhoods.  I soon realized we were pretty much doing the same course as last year, except this year the course was done in reverse.  That was nice because it gave us only 1 uphill on the way to the finish line, and the ‘bigger’ hill – an uphill on the way out on last year’s course – was downhill now.  Pretty flat to the finish, with one incline to go up right before we finished.  I did okay, 5th in my age group (60 – 69), 34:52 time, and my mile 2 to mile 3 was 10:11.  I had negative splits for this course, but my left foot “popped” right before the finish line – ouch!  I thought maybe I had a stress fracture, but was able to walk around a bit post-race and, while my foot still hurt, it felt better as I moved around; can walk okay, but definitely can’t run on it; so I think maybe I have a bit of tendonitis in there – bottom of the left foot, right underneath the middle outer edge of my foot – and might have to take some time off for a bit; so much for my planned races for Thanksgiving week.

At  .74 miles in

photo IMG_6755_zpskle2tqd9.jpg

photo IMG_6756_zpsypyjryyl.jpg

photo IMG_6757_zpsb6y9ihno.jpg

photo IMG_6758_zpsersglw8w.jpg

Passed this colorful "Texas decor' house

photo IMG_6759_zpseso2tytq.jpg

photo IMG_6760_zpshoeg8qvt.jpg

A bit past the halfway mark now

photo IMG_6761_zpsnc6zegm8.jpg

photo IMG_6762_zpsydi9fy22.jpg

photo IMG_6763_zps8flftdkj.jpg

photo IMG_6764_zpsiqyjrank.jpg

After that, ran non-stop back to the finish.  Then after I finished, went and stood near the crest of the incline we all had to climb to get to the finish and got this photo of other people coming in, and 2 folks going out; they had finished before me, so I assumed they were going to out to run some friends in, or doing a cool-down run

photo IMG_6765_zpsxhkyrhjo.jpg

After My Finish

I think this event is one of the best-kept secrets in the San Antonio area running community. It has grown – there were around 800 participants this year – but still not as well-known as some of the more popular events for this weekend in New Braunfels, San Antonio, etc.  People see YMCA in the race title and probably think low-key laid-back race with not a lot to offer.  So wrong.  The first time I did this race…just wow….and this has become one of my favorites to do every year. Post-race there was a Cowboy Breakfast served up for all who wanted it; massage tables; Arrosti onsite for those who needed injury advice, massage, etc; two different local beer brewery vendors; brisket taco wraps; one of these self-photo booth cameras; all kinds of fruits, other drinks, freebies from sponsors, and vendors;  a “Turkey” going around  start/finish area you could get a photo with;  and more; so many booths I can’t remember them all.  I went around happily munching and having my one beer, and taking photos of people I encountered, chatted with, etc.

Various

Brisket wraps, served up by these ladies

photo IMG_6766_zpsdvmr4cm4.jpg

Beer!

photo IMG_6767_zpsjgcxgc3t.jpg

This kid is not too sure of that non-family member, lol

photo IMG_6769_zpszccwydoe.jpg

This company had team members doing the event

photo IMG_6770_zpsptjlptwj.jpg

photo IMG_6771_zpsoq3aehme.jpg

Cowboy breakfast served up

photo IMG_6772_zpssqe7hiab.jpg

photo IMG_6773_zpsphqw3lvc.jpg

photo IMG_6774_zpsvjuwxbzc.jpg

Thanks to the officers out there for us

photo IMG_6775_zps3ngj1sqq.jpg

photo IMG_6776_zpss1ekwoda.jpg

This is a dog friendly event

photo IMG_6777_zpsrwqxa9d4.jpg

Friend Bernadette, 1st place in her age group

photo IMG_6778_zpspl3vguu8.jpg

Friend Robert, 1st place 75+ age group

photo IMG_6779_zpszqqabv0p.jpg

EPILOGUE

As noted, really nice event, one I will continue to do.  If I can’t run it, I will walk it. Very nice goodie bag too, chock full of stuff, and the race shirt is a very nice quality long-sleeved tech tee.  Color for participants was green and the volunteers had a pink shirt.  I wanted to buy one of those pink long-sleeved shirts for whenever I did a Breast Cancer event – very nice shirt and very colorful, one of the best pink tech tee shirts I’ve ever seen - but unfortunately after they were distributed to all the volunteers, none were left. Oh well.  I really enjoy this event and will continue to do it in the future.  Most assuredly, would recommend it.  And for those who want to ‘sleep in’ a bit and make a weekend of it, there is a really nice hotel right beside the starting area/town square. Boerne has some nice shoppes and its own Riverwalk – smaller than San Antono’s but still quite nice – you can walk or run along – so well worth a visit to Borne if you’ve never come.

Many thanks to all the people who made this one happen for we participants, including all the sponsors, vendors, volunteers, EMTs and police officers out there for us; all the drivers along the course for their great patience as they waited for us to pass; Redemption for doing the course set-up, timing, and results; and any others I may not have mentioned here.  Thanks so much for what you do so we participants can have this race.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Scotty - sorry you hurt your foot. Hopefully it's just a temporary strain and will heal quickly. I hope you spent the afternoon with your feet up and an ice bag.