Beginners and Beyond

TuesDAILIES! (Read 37 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I have caught the post marathon blahs. 

Damaris

LRB

At least you have done some workouts.  

Yeah that is just a function of who I am as a runner, I train for speed. Without returning to it I would lose my way. I understand your dilemma though, it is a valid point.

DavePNW

At least you have done some workouts.  I haven't. I'm not really worried about not achieving my goal time because to be honest, I have failed to do that in every 5k that I have run since... fall of 2012.   

I'm no expert but I'd think in your marathon shape you would kill a 5k right now. What's your goal time anyway?

Dave

onemile

I'm no expert but I'd think in your marathon shape you would kill a 5k right now. What's your goal time anyway?

I wanted to run sub-21.

DavePNW

I wanted to run sub-21.

You don't think you could do that right now?

Dave

happylily

I wanted to run sub-21.

You would have no problem doing that. I ran two 21:30 (or somewhere there) before running my 3:27. You are definitely in sub-21:00 shape now.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

onemile

You don't think you could do that right now?

No.  I really don't.  I just can't seem to hold a 6:45 pace. Which I should be able to based on my other race times.  I don't know.

DavePNW

You would have no problem doing that. I ran two 21:30 (or somewhere there) before running my 3:27. You are definitely in sub-21:00 shape now.

I ran a 21:33, about 6 weeks after a 3:52 marathon. I would sure think you'd be able to do a lot better than that off a 3:23.

Dave

LRB

I just can't seem to hold a 6:45 pace.

Once we get you on a regular "R" pace regimen (if MRT permits), you are going to be blown away at what you are capable of.

onemile

I ran a 21:33, about 6 weeks after a 3:52 marathon. I would sure think you'd be able to do a lot better than that off a 3:23.

After I ran a 1:37 half, I assumed I could run sub-21.  But I don't know. I seem unable to hold a fast pace. I can only run decent at moderate paces.  My current half PR predicts 20:23.

delicate flower

I wanted to run sub-21.

I ran my current PR of 20:42 last December, while nursing hip and abdomen injuries.  I'm doing the same race in two weeks and I expect to beat that PR.  I think you'll have little problem going under 21.

<3

onemile

I ran my current PR of 20:42 last December, while nursing hip and abdomen injuries.  I'm doing the same race in two weeks and I expect to beat that PR.  I think you'll have little problem going under 21.

Just because you can, doesn't mean I can.

happylily

Training for an excellent 5k is entirely different from training for an excellent marathon. Some of us have to make choices, we can't have both. Also, for myself, I know I am not built for real speed. Short legs, little muscle mass, old heart, stupid lungs...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

The key for her is "holding" the pace, an endurance/stamina quandary.  I had the same problem, it can be fixed with the right mix of economy and lactate workouts.

DavePNW

After I ran a 1:37 half, I assumed I could run sub-21.  But I don't know. I seem unable to hold a fast pace. I can only run decent at moderate paces.  My current half PR predicts 20:23.

You have some kind of wacky inverse McMillan formula.

Dave