Beginners and Beyond

TuesDAILIES! (Read 37 times)

LRB

Short legs, little muscle mass, old heart, stupid lungs...

Stop it you. 

You could do anything you want if you set your mind to it. 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

After I ran a 1:37 half, I assumed I could run sub-21.  But I don't know. I seem unable to hold a fast pace. I can only run decent at moderate paces.  My current half PR predicts 20:23.

But you were not doing 5K specific workouts.  You will now under a 5K training.

Damaris

DavePNW

Training for an excellent 5k is entirely different from training for an excellent marathon. Some of us have to make choices, we can't have both. Also, for myself, I know I am not built for real speed. Short legs, little muscle mass, old heart, stupid lungs...

I will let you know when I do one of these.

MTA: I will let the WHOLE WORLD know.

Dave

happylily

Stop it you. 

You could do anything you want if you set your mind to it. 

Right now I want to teleport myself to a tropical island... Hrrggh, I'm trying... I'm trying... Nope, not working. Liar.

onemile, I bet 5 weeks of shorter runs that focus on good speedwork a la LRB would help you considerably.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

onemile

But you were not doing 5K specific workouts.  You will now under a 5K training.

Yes. I. Was.  I did an entire Hansons 5k training plan last winter.

onemile

The key for her is "holding" the pace, an endurance/stamina quandary.  I had the same problem, it can be fixed with the right mix of economy and lactate workouts.

Yes, I can hit the proper paces for interval workouts.

DavePNW

onemile, I bet 5 weeks of shorter runs that focus on good speedwork a la LRB would help you considerably.

Well it's gotta help. But her point (and your point) is well taken - everyone is different, and the race time predictors are stupid.

Dave

onemile

Training for an excellent 5k is entirely different from training for an excellent marathon. Some of us have to make choices, we can't have both. Also, for myself, I know I am not built for real speed. Short legs, little muscle mass, old heart, stupid lungs...

+1 except make it fat legs and little muscle mass.  and -1 on the old heart.

LRB

Right now I want to teleport myself to a tropical island... Hrrggh, I'm trying... I'm trying... Nope, not working. Liar.

You are funny!  How is the fam?  Will you be online with us when you get to where you are going?

From the Internet.

Evening dailies! Short but intense day at work (procedure that I hate doing, it stresses me the hell out every time but I don't have any alternatives for this experiment :C), followed by 3.25 miles in shorts and short sleeves to destress, cloudy and breezy but 59F. Taking tomorrow off and then holiday streaking begins! I got my HRM today so I will take that for a spin on Thursday, but it might be a very short spin, what with the snow and rain and freezing temps we're supposed to get tomorrow and all - snow doesn't bother me but ice definitely does!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yes. I. Was.  I did an entire Hansons 5k training plan last winter.

True.  I forgot that.  But, did that time come out after that period of training or was it during marathon training?  I don't recall.

Damaris

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

+1 except make it fat legs and little muscle mass.  and -1 on the old heart.

NOT FAT LEGS!!!! I have fat legs, those are not fat legs!!!!!  Give me those legs any day of the week, damn it 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Cyberic

I have never run a 5k, or a marathon. Does that mean I have to pass on this conversation? Yes it does!

onemile

NOT FAT LEGS!!!! I have fat legs, those are not fat legs!!!!!  Give me those legs any day of the week, damn it 

OMG There is a reason why I normally don't post pictures here!  

onemile

I have never run a 5k, or a marathon. Does that mean I have to pass on this conversation? Yes it does!

You are a smart man. Half marathons are where it's at.