Beginners and Beyond

To London or not to London? Thursdailies (Read 20 times)

DavePNW

That is the question! What will Damaris do? (MTA: I guess we have the answer. Man that sucks.)

No run for me this morning as I have my 6pm Thursday brewery group. I still generally don't like running in the evening as much, but I'm finding it kind of nice to have one morning that I don't have to get up so damn early. I usually do anyway out of habit, but today I gloriously slept in till nearly 6am. Also it's nice because Wednesday is my usual workout day, so I have an extra half day to recover.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

We are likely not. The next question is, should I even try to find a marathon to cover it or let it go?

I have 3 miles but I didn't sleep. I don't know if I want to run.

Damaris

DavePNW

We are likely not. The next question is, should I even try to find a marathon to cover it or let it go?

If it were me, I'd definitely be looking for a backup race, because I'd be so mentally ready (and ideally physically ready) to run one. This time of year, there should be options. Have you ever run the Glass City Marathon in Toledo? It's next weekend, it's driving distance for you, and I've heard good things about it.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I have been there to run it and did the half instead. I have time to decide and it's driveable. It's my first priority although the forecast looks horrid. I am off Friday which would work great to drive solo and find a hotel.

Damaris

Baboon

delicate flower

YO.  I hit the pool this morning for the first time since November.  2200 yards done.  I took it easy and it was slow going, but I didn't get as tired as I thought I would.  I've got a run to get done and will wait for the rain to stop for that.

Docket, sorry to hear about the flight problems.  That truly sucks.  It's astonishing how bad the airline industry has gotten and it seems it will not got any better any time soon.

From yesterday:

Cool! Do you have another one before then? I can’t remember your fall/winter plans. Hartford again? Some kind of Disney BS?

I do not have an Ironman before next August.  I took this year off because I needed the break after doing two in eight months.  I've got a couple of 70.3's this year but they are not goal races.  I'll run the Hartford Marathon again because it's in my backyard and it's free.  I usually run that full marathon just for training, but I'll put some effort into it this year and go for a PR and 2026 BQ.  I won't abandon the swim and bike training though like I did for Boston this year.

<3

sdWhiskers

Just 3 miles for me. Trying to get out there every day but on the mornings I do school dropoff, I just don't have the will to get up earlier. Next year, I think Kid will ride his bike to school so freedom is coming soon!

Huge bummer Docket. Toledo is not London, lol but hopefully you're able to take advantage of your recent training.

For our flight from Switzerland last year, it wasn't cancelled but we weren't able to pick our actual seats, even with DH calling Lufthansa almost 30 times in the months beforehand (half the time they hung up on him, half the time they confirmed seats but then the next day it would disappear from the system). Completely infuriating. When traveling with Kid for a long flight, we needed to confirm that at least one adult was seated with him, no matter the cost. But no.

DavePNW

Toledo is not London

What? So close! I had it on the schedule to run in 2015; it was when I lived in Detroit and it was about an hour away. It was actually on the exact day of my 50th birthday, so it was going to be kind of a big deal. But I got injured, then moved to Seattle, so never ran it.

When traveling with Kid for a long flight, we needed to confirm that at least one adult was seated with him, no matter the cost. But no.

Worst case for that, you get to the gate and the flight attendants figure something out, because they aren't going to want the kid to sit by himself either.

I feel like I need to contribute an awful airline story! Although one that comes to mind is not in any way a similar situation. I had a flight (economy) returning home from Shanghai to Detroit, changing planes in Tokyo. I always like to get an aisle but none were available. Instead I picked a center seat in the 5-across middle section, because there were empty seats on both sides. Shortly before the flight, another flight from Tokyo to Chicago got suddenly cancelled. They ended up piling all of them onto my flight to Detroit, so that filled everything up. I then end up with two people between me and the aisle on both sides, for 14 hours. Of course the other 4 people slept, and I was awake the whole time. I usually like to stay hydrated on flights, but I was just taking tiny sips of water, because I didn't think I'd be able to get out to use the bathroom.

Dave

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I have 3 miles but I didn't sleep. I don't know if I want to run.

Illinois Marathon, Champaign-Urbana,  is next weekend.  Of course to get from the finish line to anywhere else including post-race food, you need to climb the stadium steps.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

sdWhiskers

Worst case for that, you get to the gate and the flight attendants figure something out, because they aren't going to want the kid to sit by himself either.

I'd like to think so but human decency sometimes goes out the window when you enter an aircraft. I'm also not entitled to think someone needs to move their seat because I didn't plan ahead. We try!

We're finally at the point of skipping the early bird Southwest add on for flights <3 hours. Worst case, Kid can sit by himself for a shorter flight. He's 11 and has been flying since birth, certainly better behaved than many adults. But no way on an overnight/international flight.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Illinois Marathon, Champaign-Urbana,  is next weekend.  Of course to get from the finish line to anywhere else including post-race food, you need to climb the stadium steps.

Their weather forecast is horrid. Thunderstorms and mid 70s.

We might have booked another one through NY with Delta. What's another $2200?????? Wish us luck.

Damaris

DavePNW

We might have booked another one through NY with Delta. What's another $2200?????? Wish us luck.

Yikes! Thoughts & prayers. I know someone who ran Berlin, overslept for their flight home, and ended up paying something ridiculous like that. A little different, because you gotta get home!

Dave

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Our recent Cuba trip almost had a flight horror story on the way home. A female passenger was really giving the flight attendants a hard time while boarding. Belligerent and difficult. And probably drunk. The flight attendant almost had to have the plane turned around to have her removed. Thankfully the woman stfu and we were able to fly. The passenger beside me showed the attendant her prison guard badge in case she needed her assistance in removing her or whatever needs to be done in situations like this.

Still no running for me. My mojo is likely on a flight somewhere

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Baboon

delicate flower

Baboon - how did it feel vs 2019 (when I ran it)? Seems like similar temps and sun, but not sure about today's humidity - it was bad in '19.

So officially, Boston was 73 degrees this year, which was the hottest since 2017.

<3

DavePNW

So officially, Boston was 73 degrees this year, which was the hottest since 2017.

Wow!
                              What time do the use for the “official” temp? I think no way it was that warm at the start.

MTA: I know it’s way too early, but my race day start temp forecast is 43! Ohpleaseohpleaseohplease

Dave

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Dave - a 43º start temp sounds like someone sold their soul.  Too good to be true.  I hope you get it.

Damaris - Let us know whether we should be tracking you Sunday (if any of us are up that early).

Baboon - 73º should make me feel better about finishing NY in 65º, yet, oddly, it doesn't.

I ran 4 today, working out some soreness from Tuesday's intervals.  Hoping for track work tomorrow.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                                10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19