Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES - Have you hugged your treadmill lately? (Read 33 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Signed up for CIM this morning, the self-proclaimed "fastest marathon in the west."  

I am weary of proclaimed net negative elevation races.  Remember LA!  But CIM does have a reputation for being fast.  Good luck!

BTW, you were the one that ran SF, right?  I might run it again as my first full post surgery, but don't tell anyone, LOL.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I am really curious those treadmills with the digital screens where you can type in a destination and run those trails/pathways.

I was close to buying the Nordick Trak that had that feature but it weighed 200lbs more than the one I bought and the guy almost left mine at the door imagine the NT.  A friend of mine has done some courses in his and he loves it.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Did you guys hear/read about the explosion in East Harlem?  They said one apartment building collapsed.

Damaris

Just B.S.

My friend has one of those and raves about it. You can  now buy apps now for your tablet

such as this. I am thinking about buying one of the courses just to try it out. She BQ's

every year and loves training to the Boston  route during our long winters as motivation for race

day.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/virtual-runner/id566294794?mt=8

We have a great set up with a home gym in the basement, treadmill, weight machine, bike trainer

and spin bike, yoga mats etc........with a TV and surround sound. Great for us because hubby

and I can be there together (which is what we did last night). After he finished his treadmill run

I did mine run while he was spinning. He listed to music using headphone while I listened to the

TV.

I am really curious those treadmills with the digital screens where you can type in a destination and run those trails/pathways.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

If Damaris was in court today, some poor sucker is losing the case....

3 miles stead at 6:35, that is impressive, LRB!  I can do that pace for about a block...wait...no I can't. 

Sounds like your legs earned some deserved rest, FreeSoul!   I also really need to do some ab/core workouts today, I've been slacking on that and my upper body workouts  +1...I've been slacking on my weight training, etc. that helps with my arthritis.  Gotta get back into it - no pun intended - or I face a future scolding from my doc.

Flooding is inevitable.  "Ark!  The flood comes!"  Well, glad it does not get to your residences, Baboon!

Scotty, what brought you to San Antonio? Did you choose the location for your future retirement or was it a work related relocation? SO and I have started thinking about buying a house somewhere in the US for our future winters, when retired. We're considering either Florida, New Mexico, Arizona or San Antonio. What do you think?   Lily, you already know what I think, lol. Bring those Great Legs of yours here!  Florida is nice, I guess, but may be a lot more humid than San Antonio is, depending on where you go, I guess, Damaris can tell you more about that.  But, compared to where she is in Miami, we do get very hot in the summers like Miami does..but the difference is on our hot days our humidity is usually quite low.  Don't really know anything about New Mexico.  Arizona has similar weather to ours, hot summers, fairly mild winters. We have the occasional few cold days and once in a while we may get some freeezing rain, etc., but our cold passes pretty quickly and we warm up pretty quick.  This winter I think we had TWO days that were below 25 - RARE - but then within 2 days we were back to the 70s. As many years as I've lived here - it will be 20 years this August - the winter temp here has NEVER fallen below 25 degrees in the San Antonio area.  We also have LOTS of parks to run in (no traffic) and, as you know from my reports, lots of winter races, usually more than 1 a weekend.  I originally moved here when I was in the Air Force.  I was up at Wright Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton Ohio and my last winter there it snowed in May! I said 'That's it!" and called my Air Force assignment guy at Randolph Air Force Base and said "Some place warm please, with NO winter!"  He said "How about Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio?" and I said "Done!"  We moved here in 1994, liked the city a lot, I retired in 1996 and right after I retired the university here offered me a job  and Gail got a good job offer too and so we stayed.  As someone who grew up in the Washington DC area and is an AVID Redskins fan, I never thought I'd end up in Damn Dallas Cowboys Country, lol.  But we like it quite a bit. Pretty nice weather for most of the year, really low cost-of living, lots to do, 2 hours away from the beach (Corpus Christi), and with San Antonio, you get '2 cities for one" since Austin is only an hour's drive from us.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Miami is too hot and humid all year long to consider it  and everything will be too costly to spend every year here, so I recommend the West Coast of Florida, like Naples or Sarasota.  Middle Florida has great weather during the Winter.  They still do at this moment while we are fucked.

Damaris

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Sorry about the bad year for you, Moth, but look what you went through too.  You have made an amazing recovery!

Nice tempo run, Andrew!

Wow, 50 mph winds. And I thought San Antonio was getting rocked with the 30 mph gusts we are having today. Stay safe, outoftheblue.

Damaris, I have an exercise machine on display in the garage.  My wet sweaters and clothes dry very nicely hanging from it.  Explosion in Harlem?  Have not heard about that...went to read the article after you mentioned it...very sad...gas explosion...2 dead so far found..22 injured...awful.

I had a rowing machine like that, FreeSoul.  Loved that thing.  You had all kinds of options.  You could watch a screen and have a view like you were looking at the water ahead of you, and see the buildings on either side of the shore.  Or you could have another 'boat' on there and then race that boat.  The damn program cheated though...if you started getting too far ahead of the other boat, a helicopter would come flying onto the screen over the water, fly over the other boat and drop more rowers into it!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Just B.S.

I have friends who are vacationing this week and spending some time in Miami.

I am pretty sure they were at Doral for the golf tournament. They said on their facebook

updates that the weather was fabulous during the last week!

Miami is too hot and humid all year long to consider it  and everything will be too costly to spend every year here, so I recommend the West Coast of Florida, like Naples or Sarasota.  Middle Florida has great weather during the Winter.  They still do at this moment while we are fucked.

Hello dailies:

No date with the TM today, since it's down in civilization and I'm up here at home, with yet another stormy day off.

Rick - lemon slushies maybe

Beth - ugh, be safe

Lily - hah, that's ok as long at the TM doesn't talk back, I guess.

DaveP - I have something to print about snow, families or not

Baboon - enjoy the speedwork

Step - outside was nice yesterday... today, not so much

Scotty - good 4.2

Free - huh, if I get a home treadmill it will go out in the Alaska room with a stereo, and that will be just fine

Lauren - way to beat the storm

Brr - yup, thanks for the thought, lol.  It's worthy of purple right now.

jblack - nice workout

Moth - great job on staying outdoors though this atrocity of a winter.

OOTB - CIM, cool!

D - yes, I heard about the explosion... gas leak? Meth lab?

Snowblowing and keeping the wood burner stoked have been the order of the day.  Some miles out in the crap in a bit to keep the streak alive.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I have friends who are vacationing this week and spending some time in Miami.

I am pretty sure they were at Doral for the golf tournament. They said on their facebook

updates that the weather was fabulous during the last week!

We had a cold front last week.  Highs of 79F, lows in the 60s.  coming from a record warm Winter in the high 80s, last week was awesome.  Right now it's 87F.

the only thing I disliked about that tournament is the traffic as it is a block from my house.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

D - yes, I heard about the explosion... gas leak? Meth lab?

I heard gas leak too.  We had a similar tragedy in PR in 1996 caused by the same thing that killed 30 or so people.  So sad.  I have contacted all my NY friends and all but one have responded.  Hope no deaths (although I heard 3 are presumed dead).

Damaris

LRB

LOL, that was a figure of speech, but you confused Andrea in that she thought I was being cynical as to where the TM was located!

Yeah sarcastic was the wrong word but the only one I could think of at the time.

Jay, lemon slushies sounds about right.  My damn socks are wet from being in this crap all day!

Just B.S.

We had a cold front last week.  Highs of 79F, lows in the 60s.  coming from a record warm Winter in the high 80s, last week was awesome.  Right now it's 87F.

the only thing I disliked about that tournament is the traffic as it is a block from my house.

I saw that on their FB. They said it's "heavenly" Smile  Of course when you are heading home

to 25F and 12-16 inches of snow I am betting it looks pretty great there right now!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

It's heavenly, yes, unless you run in it all year long.  For the beach and vacation, it's perfect weather.  Although the beaches here are meh.

Please tell them not to make fun of the biker on the sidewalk this evening.  It's the only way we can bike there.  And I don't look like a cyclist in my quirky helmet.

Damaris

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

8.1 yesterday. 4.1 today. Didn't have as much time today as electrician was here to do warranty work and I had a call to do for work

Marjorie