Beginners and Beyond

NRR: Olympic Snowboard Cross (Read 40 times)

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

So... we have been dishing on snowboarding because of the subjective judging, etc. The exception to this the snowboard cross which is my new favorite winter olympic sport. If you haven't seen it, it's basically BMX on snowboards on a very crowded track with jumps and banked turns. I think this is the 3rd Olympics to have it.

What I love about it (besides the chaos and total unpredictability of it) is that it's pure sport. No tricks, no judging, just all out racing, first across the line wins. They time it but even the times are pretty irrelevant.  Just beat people across the finish line and you advance. Is it a made-for-TV, contrived event? Sure but I'm cool with that because it's fun to watch and there's no judging or incomprehensible rules.

Who's with me?

Hip Redux

This passes my sports event test.

No subjective judging.

Head to head competition.

No sequins.

No cheesy music.

This passes my sports event test.

No subjective judging.

Head to head competition.

No sequins.

No cheesy music.

High potential for mayhem

FYP.

It is indeed truly awesome. Wish there was more of it.

Dave

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I have qualms about some of the events, I suspect I might be a bit of a snob.

Pulling some dude off the slopes to do some rad trick that he has been goofing with for a few years seems a little less... organized than say, cross country racing or any other endurance type competitions.

... dunno...

Hip Redux

Pulling some dude off the slopes to do some rad trick that he has been goofing with for a few years seems a little less... organized than say, cross country racing or any other endurance type competitions.

... dunno...

There are no tricks in snowboard cross.   Or am I misunderstanding?

GinnyinPA

I agree.  The unpredictability of it makes it fun and you can see the strategies being played out too.  I've enjoyed watching it more than any of the other events this year.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I liked it.  And what Oski said.

Damaris

There are no tricks in snowboard cross.  

Unless you consider unintentional midair collisions to be tricks.

Dave

Unless you consider unintentional midair collisions to be tricks.

Or the maneuvers when they try to avoid the rider that just crashed in front of them.

Count me in. This, plus ski cross, are the only "X Games" type events that have been added to the Olympics* since the '90's that I really enjoy.

Mayhem factor is a bonus and it comes with the highest risk of being injured. What's not to like? 

*I am of the opinion a majority of these events have been added to pump up the medal count, therefore the interest, of the American television viewers thus pumping up the broadcast rights fees. Follow the $'s. Yes I tend to be cynical about these things. It is also why I believe team figure skating has been added. YMMV.

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

Nope, no tricks. In fact they try to get as little air as possible over the jumps. It's faster to stay on the snow, and it's all about just getting to the finish as fast as you can. Pretty loose rules too from what I can tell. You can't purposely push people but "incidental contact" is fine. Plenty of bumping and jostling for position, which leads to spectacular wipeouts and chaos. Good times.

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

*I am of the opinion a majority of these events have been added to pump up the medal count, therefore the interest, of the American television viewers thus pumping up the broadcast rights fees. Follow the $'s. Yes I tend to be cynical about these things. It is also why I believe team figure skating has been added. YMMV.

It's no secret that many of the events added in the last 10-15 years have been because they are TV friendly, especially US TV. Beach volleyball, the snowboarding events, team figure skating are all examples. The IOC happily admit they are trying to grow the games' popularity and commercial appeal. They gave up trying to maintain the illusion of "amateurism" long ago.

I'm fine with it, if the games aren't commercially viable they will fade away eventually.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Quote from Slymoon Runs on 2/19/2014 at 3:10 PM:

... dunno...

yup misunderstanding.

It's no secret that many of the events added in the last 10-15 years have been because they are TV friendly, especially US TV. Beach volleyball, the snowboarding events, team figure skating are all examples. The IOC happily admit they are trying to grow the games' popularity and commercial appeal. They gave up trying to maintain the illusion of "amateurism" long ago.

I'm fine with it, if the games aren't commercially viable they will fade away eventually.

I completely understand that amateurism has long since disappeared. I wouldn't go as far as saying the IOC happily admits it but it is clear as to why they add sports. But I'm a traditionalist and the other snowboard stuff just doesn't cut it for me.

Yes I'm getting old. Get off my lawn.

Hip Redux

Quote from Slymoon Runs on 2/19/2014 at 3:10 PM:

yup misunderstanding.

OK, so what was your point?  Do you like cross or not, man?