Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #133 (Read 30 times)

Half Crazy K 2.0

We've been getting carryout at a local steakhouse. They have a nice deal where you get 4 entrees and 8 sides. It works out to be several meals.

Around here, the "big" cancellations are fireworks for July 4th. Some June & July races have started either cancelling or going virtual. The Baltimore Running Festival thinks it will be holding their events for 20,000 people in October. LOL.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I don’t think there are any restaurants reopening here, other than for takeout. Incidentally there is a good Mexican place near us which has been completely closed; just today there was a post on our community FB page that they’ve re-opened for takeout. We’ll need to hit that. In fact we’ll need to be hitting more takeout in general; we have been doing virtually none, to keep the spending down. But on Monday I start my new job, and DW is back to full time (she’d been cut back to 2 days/week with Covid), so we can start to re-open the spigot a little. Which is nice. 

11 miles.

Fortunately, I don't know of any one here that didn't stay open for takeout. They've been open this whole time, fortunately, for us. Some chains decided to close and some others but most of them are giving it a try.

I don't think things will be better in the Fall. In fact, with all the states reopening before they hit peak, it's highly likely we will have to reclose some if not all those reopened when the cases or deaths shoot up dramatically. Fauci just testified that it is unlikely we will have a vaccine in 1-2 years.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Out state still wants to do the Indy 500.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Breathing

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Damaris

onemile

LOL! You know plenty of us would give up a kidney to be able to run a 5k. I’m wondering about the parkruns. They’re usually pretty small, around 50 people. Maybe they’ll restart before some other stuff. Although once they do, people will probably swarm and they’ll get big after all. Who knows.

they just announced the cancellation of an annual 8k race here (~1200 ppl) which was scheduled for Sept 12

it looks like I won't be going back into the office for at least 4 months

Half Crazy K 2.0

Docket, I think NASCAR starts up again this weekend. I wonder if the idea with the Indy 500 is it is no spectators? And test every crew member there? Sort of like what UFC did in FL, everyone had to get tested, I think one guy was asymtomatic and was not allowed to fight. Now, that said, given the sorry state of testing, I don't agree with sports being given the green light to test anyone & everyone while nursing homes & hospitals can't.

Runshortii

Fortunately, I don't know of any one here that didn't stay open for takeout. They've been open this whole time, fortunately, for us. Some chains decided to close and some others but most of them are giving it a try.

I don't think things will be better in the Fall. In fact, with all the states reopening before they hit peak, it's highly likely we will have to reclose some if not all those reopened when the cases or deaths shoot up dramatically. Fauci just testified that it is unlikely we will have a vaccine in 1-2 years.

The 12-18 month timeline is absolutely crazy to me. The quickest a vaccine has been developed is 4 years. I know they’re pushing everything through quicker, but still. I really don’t see us having a safe effective vaccine anytime soon.

I think things will look better in the early fall, but will get worse in the late fall when flu season starts. That’ll be fun. Is it flu? Is it covid? 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Docket, I think NASCAR starts up again this weekend. I wonder if the idea with the Indy 500 is it is no spectators? And test every crew member there? Sort of like what UFC did in FL, everyone had to get tested, I think one guy was asymtomatic and was not allowed to fight. Now, that said, given the sorry state of testing, I don't agree with sports being given the green light to test anyone & everyone while nursing homes & hospitals can't.

No, they want to specifically hold it as usual but later (in August).

Damaris

DavePNW

Out state still wants to do the Indy 500.

Like, with people in the stands???

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

The 12-18 month timeline is absolutely crazy to me. The quickest a vaccine has been developed is 4 years. I know they’re pushing everything through quicker, but still. I really don’t see us having a safe effective vaccine anytime soon.

I think things will look better in the early fall, but will get worse in the late fall when flu season starts. That’ll be fun. Is it flu? Is it covid? 

I thought there was a vaccine for swine flu quicker than that? Or is that different since the flu shot is a combo of what the experts expect to be the most common flu strains? So not really a "new" vaccine?

Runshortii

I thought there was a vaccine for swine flu quicker than that? Or is that different since the flu shot is a combo of what the experts expect to be the most common flu strains? So not really a "new" vaccine?

I believe so. They already knew how to make an influenza vaccine so it wasn’t new per say. There has never been a coronavirus vaccine developed as far as I know. Not to say it’s definitely not possible, there’s so many people working on one...I guess I just wouldn’t put all my eggs in the “we’ll have a vaccine in 18 months” basket

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Like, with people in the stands???

Yes!

Damaris

Cyberic

I follow UFC, and I think they did a good job at keeping everyone as safe as possible. They spent way more money at it than what nursing homes and hospitals are able to spend. There will be two more UFC events this week in Jacksonville (Wed and Sat), and altogether the promoter says that about 1100 people will have been tested after the 3 events. Maybe that's exaggerated a bit, but still many people: fighters, judges, refs, corners, medical staff, media people...

The fighter and the two of his cornermen who tested  positive are quarantined in Fla  paid by the UFC. The adversary who couldn't fight gets paid also. Lots of money in pro sports. Especially when you are the ONLY pro sport going in the WORLD.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

How the fuck is that even true when everybody has been rationing tests and a lot of people are getting denied testing (especially in FL)? Did he go to the same math school as the president?

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

How the fuck is that even true when everybody has been rationing tests and a lot of people are getting denied testing (especially in FL)? Did he go to the same math school as the president?

There was a story about how Beyonce, her sisten, mom & basically all family members got tests so they could spend Mother's Day together. The testing rules change if you have money or are orange.

The way the FL stats are, now they can claim 1100 more tests and only 1 more case

DavePNW

it looks like I won't be going back into the office for at least 4 months

Wow, it’s surprising they’re planning this far ahead. My new company is currently all working remotely other than manufacturing personnel, since operations are still running. Apparently they’re currently developing a plan to phase in getting people back.

Dave