Beginners and Beyond

Faint FriDAILIES (Read 27 times)

DavePNW

In the suitcase. Why is it you never take 2 weeks or more? Because of work, or because you don't feel like it?

Mostly work. I get 4 weeks/year total, which is actually not bad by American standards. You hire into a new job, usually it's 2 weeks/year, which you have to build up with seniority. Ad more than a week away from work in general is tough to manage.

Dave

Cyberic

Mostly work. I get 4 weeks/year total, which is actually not bad by American standards. You hire into a new job, usually it's 2 weeks/year, which you have to build up with seniority. Ad more than a week away from work in general is tough to manage.

I don't have any more yearly vacation than you do. I actually have an extra day (4 weeks + 1 day), but I'm also taking a 2 week leave without pay this summer.

Since I'm a programmer, I can pretty much take my vacation whenever I want, but it's tougher for the woman, as she's customer support.

This might be our last big vacation as a family because a) we can't afford it every year  b) kids are getting older

onemile

I also get 4 weeks + 1 floating holiday... I wouldn't mind taking some unpaid time off but I think that would be frowned upon here.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I get 3 weeks until I am here for 15 years after which I get 30 days.  But I know lots of people on the private sector that get 1 week, if at all.

Damaris

DavePNW

we can't afford it 

This is another reason I don't take more vacation than I do. Shit gets expensive.

Dave

LRB

Taking a month off from work is virtually unheard of in the states, even if you have the time. There was some scuttlebutt regarding the practice during the Clinton years about how other countries and cultures do it (and others that take naps) and it was basically laughed into oblivion.

I am a 5 to 7 day guy for a myriad of reasons, chief of which is I usually want to come home after about a week. I've done 10 days a couple of times and just really was over it all by day 8.

I suppose if I was on a cross-country excursion or went out of the country or to Hawaii, I would view it differently. But I have yet to do either of those.

onemile

Taking a month off from work is virtually unheard of in the states, even if you have the time. There was some scuttlebutt regarding the practice during the Clinton years about how other countries and cultures do it (and others that take naps) and it was basically laughed into oblivion.

I think if you were able to take a whole month off here people would think your job function really isn't needed.  Or things would fall apart and you would be to blame.

But I prefer to spread my vacation time out a little more.  1-2 trips (1 week or 2 weeks) and then a few random days here and there.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

My boss is on week 1 of his 2 month vacation, but that is not normal.  Being the boss that took some doing and I am still suspecting something to do with the two bitches at work, but I'll wait until September to find out more.  Ha.

Damaris

LRB

I think if you were able to take a whole month off here people would think your job function really isn't needed.  Or things would fall apart and you would be to blame.

But I prefer to spread my vacation time out a little more.  1-2 trips (1 week or 2 weeks) and then a few random days here and there.

+1 on all counts.

But to each his or her own. It's all good. I really don't knock anyone on how they spend their time off. I sure get a lot of shit on how I spend mine though; "oh my god, I can't believe you went to _ _ _ _ _  and only stayed five days. I would need 12 days, MINIMUM"

Well good then, the next time you go there, stay 12 days. Bitch. lol

Cyberic

I kinda get it. But we've been trying to hire programmers with the same expertise as me (I'm not unique where I work, but we need more) and there aren't many available, and those who are either don't want to work for the salary we offer, or are bad programmers.

I'm saying this because I could take 6 months off and still be welcomed with open arms when returning. Of course my current "position" would be filled by someone else, but they would have plenty of work for me.

Cyberic

Well good then, the next time you go there, stay 12 days. Bitch. lol

Smile

A co-worker goes to Disney World (or Land? In Florida?) every 3 years or so. He (and family) spend as much in two weeks as I spend with my family in 28 days in Europe. We both can't understand each other, lol. I would NEVER spend that kind of money to see fake princesses, and Mickey Mouse mascots and all. I don't really get it, and I try not to judge Smile

Cyberic

I also have kids, with vacation in the summer which kinda limits when familiy vacation can be, and a woman who has a strong opinion on how to spend a vacation. I just follow. She has to put up with my running, so I let her decide how we spend our vacation almost without complaining, because I'm soft like that.

onemile

I also have kids, with vacation in the summer which kinda limits when familiy vacation can be, and a woman who has a strong opinion on how to spend a vacation. I just follow. She has to put up with my running, so I let her decide how we spend our vacation almost without complaining, because I'm soft like that.

This sounds fair 

Cyberic

Do you get lots of burnouts in the US? From what I understand the work pressure is stronger than here. Of course I chose that kind of job, but even so, the way you describe it, it seems tougher than up here. Plenty of burnouts here.

onemile

Smile

A co-worker goes to Disney World (or Land? In Florida?) every 3 years or so. He (and family) spend as much in two weeks as I spend with my family in 28 days in Europe. We both can't understand each other, lol. I would NEVER spend that kind of money to see fake princesses, and Mickey Mouse mascots and all. I don't really get it, and I try not to judge Smile

I totally don't get Disney at all. I know several adult couples who go there without children on vacations, frequently!  It's baffling to me. While I am looking at places like Israel for my next trip... people are very different I suppose