Beginners and Beyond

RR:Magellan Group's Chicago Spring Half Marathon To Benefit the Northwestern Brain Tumor Institute (Read 90 times)

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

So you ran your first HM in a sub 1:45 time with no watch nor Garmin, no hi-tech running shirts,  no mention of fuel (gel or shot blocks) and wearing some white socks  which look out of the laundry pile?  Committing running blasphemy!

Damn impressive Mr.Namtor!

+1

I've ran 5 HMs and haven't gotten to your time yet. Great job! It's a fantastic first HM.

- Andrew

MrNamtor

@docket: Thanks D. I do have questions I'm going to ask you so I can improve in my next race.

@lily: Thanks for all your support, advice and general help. Good luck on your race this weekend as well!

@coralie: Thank you.  I did definitely push myself, I think more than any prior race.

@LRB: Yes, I was lucky to have (by accident) found that pacer for the first half of it. Otherwise it might have been tougher. I'm definitely going to get at least a watch if not a garmin for my next race.

@DaveP: LOL, Yes it's true i don't post on running related things that much, although i do read running related posts and learn a lot from them.  Thanks for your kind words about my running and my time. I'm trying to get my mileage up to the level you've been running lately. If you keep that up you're going to be super fast.

@Jack: Thank you man. I appreciate your fast 1st half marathon time more now. I've got a way to go to reach that.

@Ginny: Yes, it was a perfect day. Thanks. I wish i had taken some photos of the day and just the general surroundings.

@Oski: Thanks O. lol, yeah the gif is funnier if you play ridiculous music in the background.

@Bozy: Thank you! Yes those are my lucky socks. At least I scared up some real running shorts. Usually I wear some old baggy cotton shorts from New York Sports Club. What can I say? I'm old school Big grin

@SIAR: Thank you for your input! You're going to be one of the people I've got questions for.

@Brrrrr Thanks!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Impressive HM debut.

MrNamtor

From what I have glimpsed, I think it's all an act.  I think he's a softie that does not let that show.

Thanks Damaris. There are a few mean people on this site, and the internet in general. I hope I'm not one of them. I really never have any intention of putting anyone down or hurting anyone.  I'm not even totally sure how i got the reputation I've got.

You're not really that hard yourself either, from what I've gotten to know about you Big grin

And I think those are running shoes, the ones I run in. At least that's what they told me at the store. I seriously know almost nothing about running gear, even shoes. I guess that's not good.

MrNamtor

Impressive HM debut.

Thank you Jerry!

Nicely done Namtor. Michigan Avenue and the lakeshore is a beautiful place for a race. Is that really you running in the pictures? Looks a little different from your avi. LOL.

my first 5k was with 10's of thousands other runners last November at the Hot Chocolate Run And ended near the fountain.

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

Zelanie

Congrats on completing your first half!  Too funny that the plan didn't even survive the starting line, much less the first mile!

No trouble from the knee during the race, then?

MrNamtor

@sparker - yes, i am still in awe of the chicago waterfront. Congrats on your first 5k. Have you run other races since then? & LOL I'm one of those people who looks different in every picture.

@zelanie - I don't read the dailies, so I don't know how your knee is. How is it? Is your treatment helping?

Mine still bothers me, and it's been 6 weeks. It didn't bother me during the race though, probably because I rested a lot the week before. I have noticed that it hurts more to climb stairs or jump than it does to run.

Love the Half

Dude, that middle picture is a classic bad race picture.  You need to save that one somewhere for the inevitable bad race picture thread because it's a doozy.  Joking

The middle miles are always the toughest.  The excitement of the start is over, your legs are no longer fresh, and the finish is nowhere in sight.  Somewhere between Miles 6 & 9 will inevitably be my slowest mile of the race.  Congrats on getting out there and running by effort rather than based on what some electronic device tells you that you "ought" to be running.  My guess is that you probably ran 5 minutes faster because of that.  Nice race.

P.S.  I would never have just scowled at you; I'd have given a solid "FU" shout out.  Big grin

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Zelanie

I'm glad it didn't bother you at all during the race!  That's a good sign.  Mine doesn't bother me at all unless I'm running, and will be fine until some point during my run.  But I'm up to 2 mile runs now, and hopefully with PT and the exercises I should be able to start adding some distance gradually.

It's cool that your race benefited a brain tumor institute.  My dad is a brain cancer survivor (15 years post-op).

Hey Namtor, my 2nd race was in Decatur Illinois back In march where I aggravated my knee (still nursing it)but killed my previous PR. And just had a fun 5k with the DW in SW Florida a couple weeks ago. I'm kind of hoping I can get in shape for a HM around September for my 50th birthday and looking for one in the Chicago area. I'm in Springfield which is 3 hours or so fRom Chicago?

@sparker - yes, i am still in awe of the chicago waterfront. Congrats on your first 5k. Have you run other races since then? & LOL I'm one of those people who looks different in every picture.

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

MrNamtor

@LTH yeah that pic is bad. I wouldn't have even published it if not for what it illustrated, but at least I know a future purpose for it.

Anyway, thanks for the encouraging and complimentary words. That guy only looked like you. Besides not just out and out telling me to f#@! off as you would done had you seen me, he also lagged behind the 1:40 pace group before dropping off probably at mile 4 or 5. If it had been you I'm pretty sure all I'd see is the back of your head getting smaller and smaller.

@Zelanie Glad you are improving and I really hope (and I'm sure) that you will just get better and better over time till you are healed. Congrats and best wishes to your dad as well. It takes courage to fight something like that and survive. I have a friend right now with a brain  tumor and he's not expected to live for very long. But no one ever is. If you'd like to pm me with whatever details of your father's experience you would care to,  maybe i could pass it on to him and give him hope. Even though everyone's experience and circumstances are different, it might be useful. Don't feel obligated to do it, just if you want to

@Sparker: Great stuff! Let me know if you run a half then, and maybe we can run in the same race.

Love the Half

. If it had been you I'm pretty sure all I'd see is the back of your head getting smaller and smaller.

My head has never gotten smaller - only bigger.  Cool

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

RSX

Welcome back and congrats as I missed it the first time!! The race report and time were impressive

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I only run so that I can come on this site and be a general jackass. Everyone has different motivations, and that's mine.