Beginners and Beyond

Thunderous Thursday Penguins (Read 17 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!  I am heading out very soon for my run.  I didn't wind up running yesterday.  It took a long time for my sinus headache to go away and by the time it did I didn't have the motivation to run.  Thankfully I didn't wake up with one today so I can get out there and get some miles done.  I'm more of a morning/daytime runner anyway.

It turns out that a woman who helped DH during the race contacted him and a bunch of his friends on facebook to see if he was okay.  It went to my "other" folder so I didn't see it nor did my husband.  Our friend is a facebook addict and checks her other folder - she let us know that she'd received a message from this person and was very concerned about what had happened to DH - we haven't exactly been broadcasting the news widely my family and some running friends know, but that's about it.  Anyway, DH is now in touch with the woman and getting more details from her about what happened since he remembers none of it.  He has a cardiologist appointment today so we'll hope that goes well.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

That's so nice, sapf! There are good people out there! How's he feeling?

About to head out for probably 4ish miles. This will be my 3rd day in a row running, as I'm bumping up my run days from 4 to 5 days a week this week. It has been many months since I've done 3 in a row as I've been doing Tues, Thurs, Sat, Sun for a long time. I'm feeling pretty good though.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

From the Internet.

Morning everyone! 5 miles with 2 at tempo done. Almost got hit by a car running a red light - I was in a crosswalk, 3/4s of the way across the street, in broad daylight, wearing a BRIGHT yellow singlet, and the dude still didn't even pause at the stop line until I rapped the side of his car with my hand. Hopefully that scared him into obeying traffic laws for a while!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning, sapf and Kristin.

Hope the cardiologist visit goes well, sapf.

Nice streak, Kristin.

Easy 5 for us, unless the nice weather forces us to go longer.

Have a happy National Hamburger Day.  Burgers on the grill for us tonight.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

hi Lauren !!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Doctor's appointment today, so off work as I get to go play with needles and scopes and stuff...some fun!

Interesting group run or walk after work yesterday, for which people could do a 6-mile route or a 3-mile route.  I did the 3 mile route, which actually was about  3.2 miles when we finally got done.   Held by the San Antonio Chapter of Team RWB (Red White Blue), a veteran's organization, this was a late Memorial Day Flag Run in honor of our veterans, as well of a show of support for parents  who had lost a son.  Run time was 6:30 pm. and there must have been almost 200 people that showed up, so quite a nice turn-out.  It was almost like a race event, with a local running store - Soler Sports - and Under Armour there to let everyone try out the new outcoming Under Armour running shoes; and Wounded Warrior Project was there too, providing post-run kiolbassa sausages or brisket to participants.  And, of course, beer from the VFW bar, sweet.   The temp at our star time was 88 degrees.

We went from the VFW down to The Alamo.  Once at The Alamo  a few photos were taken of our huge group in front of The Alamo.  I am kind of in the middle between the flags, right next to that guy in the white shirt, who is on my right.

After that, several of us ran down to the Crossfit facility to show our respect and support for a family there because of a recent tragedy.  On Monday, Memorial Day, several Team RWB folks were working out with some Crossfit folks and one of the Crossfit guys - and he was also a veteran -  had a seizure and dropped to the ground.  Several of the RWB members trained in CPR, etc., rushed to his aid and worked on him until the ambulance got there but he could not be revived and later died at the hospital.  This guy was in really great shape too...so you just really never know, do you?  His out-of-state parents came in on Tuesday to take him home later this week.  So for Wednesday night, arrangements had been made to have a small memorial service at the Crossfit location.  Team RWB showed up en masse, with flags flying, and short ceremony was done in which one of our flags was folded and then presented to the parents. The parents also got to meet the RWB folks who had worked on their son.    Then the parents kindly went and thanked each and every one of us for being there for them.   There were a few wet eyes in that place, let me tell you!

Roy Orozco's photo.

Our Team Leader, Roy, with the father....the mother is sitting to the left...

After that, it was a return trip to the VA where beer, sausages, and brisket was enjoyed...you could sign up early at a discount for some local area races, and there was a raffle for a drawing of several various prizes.   Very nice event and I didn't even get home until around 9:30 pm.

The VFW along the San Antonio Riverwalk....and some of our RWB folks partying...

Paul Baltutis's photo.

Today, just a planned very short and easy run of about 3 miles.  With the holiday weekend this past week, I guess I've gotten a bit carried away because today will be my 6th day in a row of running, lol.  I usually don't run more than 3 in a row.   I think it's okay though, because at my slow pace I probably really won't hurt anything. 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

sapf- Hoping for good news at the appointment today!

Lauren- Scary!  Glad you're OK!

Scotty- That sounds like quite a moving event.  Glad you were feeling good enough to get out there and participate.

Yesterday the legs were feeling good again (except for the piriformis, but that was back to the "normal" not good), so I had a really nice 6 miler.  Today, hopefully I will run with the club.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Adding in the two new PT exercises takes a lot longer than I realized, so my PT routine is closer to 45 minutes than 30 minutes, and I was a bit late for work.  Doh!  But I'm slowly setting my alarm earlier, hopefully in a few weeks I'll have time for everything and not be quite so rushed.  Most of my PT exercises are ho-hum, but throwing a ball at my mini-trampoline while standing on one foot is oddly FUN!!  It helps that I'm much better at catching than DH, so at least ONE of these exercises is easier for me ....  Today is my Thriday, as I have a chorus thing in Raleigh this weekend.  I have to leave the house at 3:00 tomorrow, so I decided to just bag the whole day.

sapf -- hope your run went well, and that DH's appointment is good!!

kristin -- hope the 3rd day works out for you!!

Lauren -- woo-hoo for your 5 done!!  I'd probably pay more attention if someone suddenly tapped on my window ...

Jerryb -- enjoy your easy 5!!  Hee hee, I typed "easy 55" first!

scotty -- wow, sounds like an incredible evening all around!!

Zelanie -- woo-hoo for your nice 6, and enjoy the club run!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Brilliant

Lauren, that is scary!  I've almost been nailed a couple of times in cross-walks.  Drivers are in such a dang hurry.

Jill, I hope your appointment with hubby goes well.

Kristin, good luck with your increasing miles!

Jerry, have a nice 5.

Scotty, that sounds very fun last night!

Zel, glad your recovery is going well.

HopesMom, I'm glad your enjoying your PT; I'm about to join you in that. Sad

So, I've been MIA the last few days.  Since Sunday I've had an assortment of symptoms ranging from severe headache to low-grade fever to pain in my rear (hard to describe - either the coccyx or the joints, it's a generalized pain that sort of radiates). On Memorial  Day I went to urgent care where the Dr didn't seem too concerned about anything but sent me home with an Rx for hydrocodone because I was in so much pain I was crying.   By yesterday fever was gone and headache mostly so, but still even worse pain in my rear, so I went to my primary care dr who ordered x-rays of my hips, and also PT, and told me not to run until I get x-ray results and get advice from PT.   She thinks the headache and fever were unrelated to the hips and just happened unfortunately at the same time.  I actually feel much better this morning; I only masked the pain with hydrocodone for 1 day and have been on Advil since.  I couldn't get a PT appt until Tuesday (when I agreed with my dr not to run, I assumed I'd get an appointment for today or tomorrow, grr).   Anyway, that has been my sad week. 

PADRunner

Morning Penguins. I felt the need for speed this morning! (not really but I needed to do it anyway.)

4x400 1x800 2x400 1x800 4x400 a mile warmup & cool down.

Nice run and gesture Scotty. I'm sure the family appreciated it.

GinnyinPA

sapf - I hope your run today went well and that the sinuses behaved.  Good luck to DH with his doctor appointment.

Scotty - good luck with your doctors this afternoon.

Kristin - I hope your early run went well.

Lauren - crazy driver!  I'm glad he missed.  Our very short rail trail goes right across the main highway through town.  It has a crosswalk, but no light.  People are supposed to stop there, but most of the time they don't or one lane will stop and the other will just cruise on through.  It's scary both as a pedestrian and a driver.

Jerry - I'm glad you have nice weather for a change.  Enjoy your five plus.

Melanie - enjoy your group run this evening.  I'm amazed at how quickly your legs recovered.  Envious too.

HopesMom - enjoy your long weekend.  Is it a competition?  Good job on the PT.

Brilliant - sounds like an awful week for you.  I hope they figure out what was going on.

PAD - good job on the speed work.  Was it a group workout or on your own?

AFM:  I'll do five or so later, probably on the TM since the feels like temperature is going to be 93. Not quite as humid as yesterday (DP of 62 not 69) but bad enough.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Busy, busy, busy...  Last night was high school graduation for DD1. After the kids went off and did their thing, we ended up with some friends and one beer led to another... Late night. Now DD1 is off to the river for five days of skiing, tubing, etc... Today is DW's last day of school, DD2's last day of school, and MY last day of school!  Tomorrow (finally), is my appointment with the doc. I hope to be running again but I doubt it. It looks like I might join a gym and use the elliptical stuff. We'll see.

Brill: I hope everything is ok with you.

sapf:  Good luck with the cardiologist appt. I hope he gets cleared to run (if he even wants to).

Kristin: Lots of great pics on FB. Smile Did you pick a marathon yet?

Lauren: I have learned you can NEVER be too careful out there. There is always going to be some idiot not paying attention, especially when you are running against traffic and they are making a right turn.

Jerry: Hi to you and DW. When is the next HM?

Scotty: AMAZING pics of the flooding. I hope you and Gail are good.

Z: Do you have a lacrosse ball? That is the one thing that helped my piriformis.

HsM: I might be doing PT as well. Bleh...

PAD: Last night I found out a friend of DD1 is going to a small school in Dallas called Dallas Baptist.

GInny: "Feels like" 93 is bad enough. Time for the TM.

See ya.

PADRunner

PAD - good job on the speed work.  Was it a group workout or on your own?

It was on my own. No group this week and I missed them last week. That's why I need it. Smile

PAD: Last night I found out a friend of DD1 is going to a small school in Dallas called Dallas Baptist.

Cool, DBU is just across the lake from Grand Prairie.

Singer who runs a smidge

I have to laugh a little at Brilliant and Jack's "meh" response to PT.  Maybe it's because I came to PT from a couple of years of not being able to run at all and being in constant pain, every single step I took.  For me, being able to just walk from my car to my lab with less pain feels like I've been set free.  Who knows if I'll ever be able to run again, but I feel stronger and more able to live my life.  The only annoying thing is, I had tried most of the exercises that I now do (squats, clamshells, glute bridges, hamstring stretches, even standing on one foot for balance and proprioception).  I just didn't do as many reps, didn't do them with a stretchy band tied around my knees, and didn't do them every day.    And although I'm aware that I'm incredibly stubborn and I wanted to get back on my own, it's possible that maybe, just maybe, I should've tried PT a little earlier.  Like 2013. 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.