Beginners and Beyond

What I dislike about Wednesday (Read 48 times)

LRB

(I'm curious to see how I do in the 5K in cooler temperatures, though.  I suspect I am better in the heat.)

If you limit your warmup run to 26.2 miles, you might surprise yourself. Tongue

LRB

I wanted to NYCMQ this year but it doesn't look like that will happen.

(I wouldn't run it either)

I hear you. I've been reduced to wondering how many STEPS I can run at half marathon pace.

onemile

I hear you. I've been reduced to wondering how many STEPS I can run at half marathon pace.

Mine is 7:01. I'd like to think I can run a few miles at that pace at least. 

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I find training for a spring marathon to be much more difficult than training for a fall marathon. It's a huge struggle to convince myself to run more than 8 miles in training during the week in the winter when it's frigid, dark and windy.  I'd rather get up early to avoid the heat than to try to do a long run when the roads are all covered with snow.  I'd rather wear shorts and a tank top than 3 layers of tops and 2 layers of bottoms.  And I'd so much rather run on my normal bike path than loops around the neighborhood because my path is covered in a foot of snow.

Agree 100%, but I will still bitch about it 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

DavePNW

I find training for a spring marathon to be much more difficult than training for a fall marathon. It's a huge struggle to convince myself to run more than 8 miles in training during the week in the winter when it's frigid, dark and windy.  I'd rather get up early to avoid the heat than to try to do a long run when the roads are all covered with snow.  I'd rather wear shorts and a tank top than 3 layers of tops and 2 layers of bottoms.  And I'd so much rather run on my normal bike path than loops around the neighborhood because my path is covered in a foot of snow.

^agree with all this. Spring marathon training involves a LOT of treadmilling.

Although that should thankfully be changing for me now, since we don't have real winter here. So I will have no excuse. 

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

Qualifying for NYCM is even tougher than qualifying for Boston.  Neither of which is apparently going to be happening for me anytime soon. 

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I am the reverse (hard to train for a fall marathon here) but I still train for a stupid fall marathon every stupid year. Sigh.

Damaris

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I signed up for the Land Between the Lakes marathon on March 12 , I got an email from them back on August 27 saying that registration was now open and without a second thought I signed up...... 

So if I survive IMM and recover afterwards, I'll have to suck it up and stick to my training.... no matter the weather.

It's a good thing this is a trail race and I am just wanting to enjoy it, experience it and take on the challenge..... I figure if I can handle a trail marathon, then I've got an alright chance of surviving a 50 mile trail race. ....

Yes damn it, I am still considering it .    

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

happylily

Thank you my dear dear friends for all your kind words! It's good to know you, all of you, and you each inspire me everyday, in your own different ways. You are the best!

I had a great 12 miles (gave myself a break and I skipped the 2 miles that were the w/u and c/d). Tonight I'm eating out and I can't wait for it, I'm starving!

I like spring marathons, because the temperature in my garage in winter is always around 50F, which is actually great for training. I've had good races in the fall as well, but never had to suffer a summer as hot as the one we had this year. I'm a little worried about how it's going to translate in my fall races...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Tweaky63

I AM running!!!

Opening my door to say Happy Birthday Lily! Welcome to 50-54 A .G! Wear your bikinis with style...we can wiggle because we don't jiggle! We are runners. Embrace & enjoy!

The mircle isn't that I finished. The mircle is that I had the courage to start.

~ John Bingham

happylily

Opening my door to say Happy Birthday Lily! Welcome to 50-54 A .G! Wear your bikinis with style...we can wiggle because we don't jiggle! We are runners. Embrace & enjoy!

Thank you so much!!!! 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Baboon

delicate flower

I ran.  Treadmill progression run.  60 minutes, 8.5 miles, 7:05 avg pace.

<3

Cyberic

I'm not sure exactly what the temperature will be like on Sunday, but all sites agree that although it won't be ideal, we're still damn lucky as it will be the coolest day of the week.

The weather network (in Celcius, but you can see it's the coolest)

Weather.com

Weather.gc.ca

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I was thinking of the same.  The days before's high is 84F.  The day of the race?  Between 64 and 70F.  You are very lucky indeed (we, actually).

Damaris

bluerun

Super B****

I realize I am a freak and in the minority here... but that temperature looks absolutely perfect to me.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog