Beginners and Beyond

Hey, don't forget that other thing ThursDAILIES (Read 38 times)

DavePNW

DaveP MI, have a safe drive. Great job doing nine miles this morning. How do you decide how many to do at tempo.

Ha, you are asking the wrong person about anything training related, since I have never done a formal plan & just kind of wing it. I decide based on reading the kind of things other people post in the dailies. I never did anything truly speed-oriented till 1-2 months ago, then decided to add something tempo-ish. Although my choice of tempo pace was pretty arbitrary, since I don't have many good race data points. But I have been putting 2 easy miles at the beginning & end. Started with 3 tempo in the middle, worked up to 4, and today tried 5 since I had the time. Worked out fine, although a little rough at the start, I think because I ran last night. Although morning runs are always rough at the start.

Dave

From the Internet.

Morning folks! 4.25 miles on the treadmill this AM with a few pickups between miles 3-4. Felt good to open my stride up a little - I've been using strides/pickups once or twice a week to *really* work on keeping good form while moving a little faster and it's feeling much more natural now, hopefully it'll pay off when I'm able to do real speedwork again.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Jeeze, you're one cranky old man...  I was just trying to be friendly. I feel sorry for the women in your household. And sorry about your trip in hell. Oh and please report to the Passive Aggressive thread in L&O. 

He sure sounds like he does not like this trip to Canada.

Damaris

happylily

He sure sounds like he does not like this trip to Canada.

I think he still has gold medal envy. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Morning everyone, no running today - upper body and core workout day, I've been slacking this week.

Ten day forecast is promising temps near the 50's and a couple of days close to 60, I am trying not to get my hopes up but damn it I can't help it.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

DavePNW

Jeeze, you're one cranky old man

I did not intend to sound so cranky, I think I just did not use the proper emoticons in my post. (Old -- I will own that one.)

Just a long boring drive, no different than most of the ones I have in the US.

Dave

Hip Redux

No running for me but I DID just take an internet IQ test that said I was "brilliant" so I have that going for me.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

No running for me but I DID just take an internet IQ test that said I was "brilliant" so I have that going for me.

Great!  Do you prefer to be called your Internet Highness or what?

what is going with you on the hip front?

Damaris

Hip Redux

Great!  Do you prefer to be called your Internet Highness or what?

what is going with you on the hip front?

Nothing new yet.  Meet with the orthopedic surgeon on Tuesday though, hopefully will know more then.

I think we could just go with Oski, the Almighty.   You know, keep it simple.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Good luck!!!!

Damaris

LRB

And how long have I been saying that? 

Dave, I did not think you sounded cranky at all.  You prefixed your statement by excluding those who may have taken offense.    After that it is snooze city.  ZZZZZ's

Boon, meetings come down to endurance.  As a runner, you can appreciate that.

Good morning Catleesi, that sounds like a good way to introduce swiftness without risking injury.  Nice job!

Enjoy your off day lily...which by the way, I never know if I should capitalize your name or not because you do not.  So sometimes I do, and others I do not.  If you have ever noticed it that is why....not that you ever have. 

Nice workout Z!  Could a sub-7:00 training pace be in your future?  Do not be afraid to dream the impossible dream.

Hi HL!  I like that you are enjoying your weather.  I hope to  join you soon.

Blueberry pancakes are awesome Step!  But so are pancakes, yummo!

Fingers are crossed for your run this weekend Drew!  How long has it been?

B, tempo runs have different meanings and properties depending on what plan you are following.  Daniels tempo pace is the most aggressive of all and therefore the shortest in duration, usually around 20 minutes for steady state runs.  There are variables but I do not want to bore you with all of that crap.

As for me, it was cold as fuck this morning!  I was so disinterested but I just did not want to run on the belt today, mostly though I had two hours to burn from time bank so that is why I went out there.

It took a few miles to warm up (literally), but once I did, I had a decent easy run.

I am meeting someone for lunch this afternoon at 1:30.  So of course I just finished a lite lunch a few minutes ago.  I mean, you do not expect me to go that long without eating do you? 

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Fingers are crossed for your run this weekend Drew!  How long has it been?

I think my last run outside was January 17th. So it'll be 7 weeks. It's planned to be mostly MP except the WU and CD. Hopefully the crap melts off the roads so I can get good footing.

- Andrew

LRB

I think my last run outside was January 17th. So it'll be 7 weeks. It's planned to be mostly MP except the WU and CD. Hopefully the crap melts off the roads so I can get good footing.

G Damn!

LRB

Live today for sure.  You never know if tomorrow is fucked up. At least that is my motto.  

I like you!

StepbyStep-SH

I ended up doing 9 at a 9:45 overall pace on the "rolling hills" setting on the TM and skipped the strength class. I finished my run an hour before the class was supposed to start and just didn't feel like it made sense to kill time waiting around. Plus I've worked my legs over fairly well with runs and martial arts the last 48 hours.

I'm with Andrew in regard to hoping to get outside for my long run Saturday. I still can't trust sidewalks (way too many places where the snow has started to melt then frozen into solid sheets of ice), but I will run in the middle of some of the streets that are clear but don't get a ton of traffic. I did run outside once or twice in February, but I am still looking forward to scenery other than the front of a treadmill.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.