Beginners and Beyond

Ban Fireworks (Read 88 times)

Half Crazy K 2.0

That's the worst part of the amatuer-hour fireworks.... midnight Friday night, 10am Saturday, Tuesday afternoon.... STOP ALREADY.

YES!!!!  Seriously, what is the point of shooting them off during daylight hours? Or at least here, wait until tomorrow and shoot them off while the gun range up the street is open. Get all the noise over with at once.

Our former next door neighbor liked to shoot them off his deck. Unfortunately, Darwin never caught up with him.

GinnyinPA

In PA there are fireworks stores everywhere.  We get to hear them on an almost nightly basis for about a month in June/July and again at New Years.  I used to love fireworks.  They are beautiful to see, especially a really good expensive display.  Now that I have a dog who is terrified of them, I don't appreciate them nearly as much. When the neighbor kids set them off in front of our house, they are hard to ignore.  I hate seeing our dog's fear and being unable to do anything to stop the cause.

As a hiker and backpacker, I have also run into more than one fire set off by fireworks.  In the east, that isn't necessarily a big deal, as it's so damp.  But it can be.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

In PA there are fireworks stores everywhere.  We get to hear them on an almost nightly basis for about a month in June/July and again at New Years.  I used to love fireworks.  They are beautiful to see, especially a really good expensive display.  Now that I have a dog who is terrified of them, I don't appreciate them nearly as much. When the neighbor kids set them off in front of our house, they are hard to ignore.  I hate seeing our dog's fear and being unable to do anything to stop the cause.

As a hiker and backpacker, I have also run into more than one fire set off by fireworks.  In the east, that isn't necessarily a big deal, as it's so damp.  But it can be.

That may be, but it is illegal to set them off without the proper municipal permit(s). Residents may not purchase them legally for personal use and non-residents must immediately convey them over the state line.

Fireworks FAQs

Fireworks shows by qualified personnel are great and I love to see them, but it seems all too easy for them to get into the hands of people, including kids, who have no idea how to properly handle them. That I'm not a big fan of, and haven't been since I was a teen and a group of kids drove by in a car and threw a firecracker at my face. That was in Illinois.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LRB

...now there's this, FFS:

"A new report says the hand injury suffered by Tampa Bay Buccaneers cornerback C.J. Wilson in a Fourth of July fireworks accident was very serious.

The Lincoln Times-News in Wilson’s hometown of Lincolnton, North Carolina reports that Wilson lost two fingers in the accident. The report cites sources close to the family and says the incident occurred at home in Lincolnton, with family and close friends present."

Half Crazy K 2.0

If you are a highly paid NFL player, why aren't you paying someone to shoot the fireworks off for you? And get the permits, etc.

DavePNW

If you are a highly paid NFL player, why aren't you paying someone to shoot the fireworks off for you? And get the permits, etc.

Same reason they like to drive their own cars when going out partying and get DUIs, rather than just riding around in limos all the time. Because they're idiots.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

Same reason they like to drive their own cars when going out partying and get DUIs, rather than just riding around in limos all the time. Because they're idiots.

There's actually some sort of ride service they can call through either the NFL or players union. It's been discussed fairly often on Baltimore sports radio since they seem to have a bit of an arrest problem over the last few years.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Same reason self-driving cars will never fully take over (save for a government git in your shit and make you - ban)

Some things are just fun to do yourself.  Though I have a high level of confidence blowing his own fingers off was not part of the plan.   However, stranger things have happened.

Self mangling is much better than mangling of others.  (in this case)

LRB

Same reason they like to drive their own cars on suspended licenses, keeping it real, foo.

Hip Redux

Same reason self-driving cars will never fully take over (save for a government git in your shit and make you - ban)

Some things are just fun to do yourself.  Though I have a high level of confidence blowing his own fingers off was not part of the plan.   However, stranger things have happened.

Self mangling is much better than mangling of others.  (in this case)

You know what's fun?  A $60M contract.

Half Crazy K 2.0

With the NFL players, was alcohol involved with the fireworks? Seems like that tends to be the case in a lot of these situations.

LRB

With the NFL players, was alcohol involved with the fireworks? Seems like that tends to be the case in a lot of these situations.

There is a report that JPP had (or is having) his index finger amputated, so both guys lost fingers.

Incidentally, that report by Adam Schefter contains a picture of JPP's medical chart that he tweeted out. 

Half Crazy K 2.0

There is a report that JPP had (or is having) his index finger amputated, so both guys lost fingers.

Incidentally, that report by Adam Schefter contains a picture of JPP's medical chart that he tweeted out. 

Just saw the article that JPP had a finger amputated. And that sounds like a major HIPAA violation.

Other: seasonal controls / bans.

We're pretty light this time of year, so fireworks are kinda pointless. But many years - like this - we are really dry, and fireworks along with any open flame is a danger to many people. I forget how many homes were destroyed about 10 yr ago in a fire started by fireworks. This year 55 homes were destroyed plus other damages. No definite cause assigned yet, but neighbors heard fireworks. (These are about 50 miles from me, so no danger here, but many friends.) Heck, it's been so dry, even the fireworks stands had no intention of opening - voluntarily.

We had a very quiet 4th.

We'll usually have fireworks around Christmas-New Years, IF there's snow. No snow and dry grass is dangerous also. The town I live in allows fireworks for about 4 hrs (iirc) around New Years (9pm-1am).

We finally got a bit of rain the last couple days so they've removed some burn restrictions.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                              LRB

Just saw the article that JPP had a finger amputated. And that sounds like a major HIPAA violation.

ESPN issued  a statement that HIPPA laws do not apply to news organizations. Regardless, it was published in very poor taste if nothing else.