Beginners and Beyond

Ummm just realized it is my Runniversary! (Read 68 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

So with excitement and panic all rolled into one, I realized that it is exactly 2 months until my first half marathon. And then I got to thinking that last year it would have been 2 months before my first 5K, which was my first race ever, because my first 5K was part of the same running festival that my half this year is. I began training right after I registered for the race and I knew I had about 2 months so I looked up in my email archives and I had indeed registered for the 5K one year ago!!!!!

I had done some jog/walks for exercise in the past before one year ago, when I've been on vacation and away from the gym, times in between gym memberships after I'd moved to a new location and hadn't decided on a gym, days where it was just too nice to exercise indoors, ect. but never really stuck with a program. What finally got me running for real was registering for the 5K one year ago. I started running on a regular basis and never looked back!!!

In the past year I have completed 16 races.... 8 5Ks, 4 10Ks, 3 4Ms, and a 10M (and as of Saturday will do a 15K). I have raced in New York City, New Jersey, Maryland, DC (and Saturday I will race in PA). I have raced under 4 NYC bridges: The George Washington Bridge, the Verrazano Bridge, the Brooklyn Bridge and the 59th St/Queensboro/Ed Koch Bridge. I have formed close "virtual" relationships with other runners here on the B&B, as well as a Facebook group called Tiaras on the Run who are a group of ladies who talk about running, cupcakes, and Disney (I met a woman during a race because we were running a similar pace and both wearing SparkleSkirts, she invited me to join the facebook group.... turns out she lives a street away from my boyfriend and we have met up for runs), and the I Run 4 organization (I will be telling you guys more about that soon, probably after the 10K I am running on Labor Day). I have shaved almost 9 minutes off my 5K time since my first, and now run my easy, long runs at around the pace I raced that first 5K.

It has been an amazing year of running and I can't wait to see what the next brings!!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Zelanie

Happy runniversary!  I was thinking about you and how well you were doing when I was on my run today and thinking about how nice it would be to stop for some wine & grilled cheese. Smile

hog4life

Kristin, congratulations! I think you're doing great.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Happy runniversary!  I was thinking about you and how well you were doing when I was on my run today and thinking about how nice it would be to stop for some wine & grilled cheese. Smile

Aww really? Thanks! Ha yeah that wine and grilled cheese was AMAZING after my run yesterday.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Don't forget you have run with your Dad as well, a pretty cool accomplishment.

Gratz and hopefully we get to FE next week.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Yes my dad and I have run 2 awesome 5Ks together!

Don't forget you have run with your Dad as well, a pretty cool accomplishment.

Gratz and hopefully we get to FE next week.

Robert31320

Team TJ

Happy Runniversary!

Running for TJ because he can't.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Do NOT make mention of this in L & O!  Big grin

Oh & congrats!  You're doing great!

Randy

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Haha I will not! only in my unicorn and rainbow place!

Do NOT make mention of this in L & O!  Big grin

Oh & congrats!  You're doing great!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Happy Runniversary!

Damaris

tracilynn

Yay!  Happy runiversary!'

~~~~~~~

Traci

Luke79

Nice, keep it going!

Love the Half

Congrats.  Sticking with it for a year makes it much more likely that you will stick with it over the long term.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

happylily

Congratulations, Kristin!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Rock on! Congrats!