Beginners and Beyond

Sunday Penguins are NOT sleeping in... (Read 32 times)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Well, at least I am not...

First off, congrats to Kristin, Zel, Docket, and D2 for great races. Scotty, it goes without saying that you raced so well done, but more leg pics are in order!

On Saturday I was at a track meet ALL DAY for older DD. It was an SRD for me so no run, High school track meets are the worst because they always seem to be a minimum of two hours behind. DW and I had a list of things we needed to do but we only had time to do a mad dash through Costco. Our new thing is the almond milk. My band played Saturday night so that is why we had to rush. I just got home from playing and I am always amped so I cannot go to bed straight away... I got a beer (Natural Lite for Awood) and am doing this. The rest of the house is asleep. In six hours (6:30 my time) I am going with DW to meet a friend and we are running an easy 10.

Have a good Sunday, Pens, and enjoy your runs, rest, and family time.

Bin Running

Jack, You are early..

Congrats to Kristin, Mel, Dave, Scotty and Damaris on the race..

Ran 10k @ 47:25 (time on Motoactv) Nice weather as the run started with just a little drizzle..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Not sleeping in, either.  Gail will be back later today, but she was in Florida yesterday for her niece's funeral.  When she is gone, I just cannot sleep at night knowing she is not there beside me. The cats were beside me, but it's not quite the same thing, lol.  So I am up early this Sunday and thinking about maybe going for a short very early morning run (it is 4:47 a.m here right now), then a quick nap, then off to the airport to pick Gail up, and then my 5K later today at 2 PM.  And THEN I will probably sleep very well tonite after all that activity and with her back home.

Jack, quite an active day for you!  Almond milk?  Gail is into coconut milk now.  She is the one who gets the groceries, I am the one who make up the 'needed items' list for her and on the list I put "your funny milk" and she knows exactly what that means, lol.    Good luck with your 10 later today!

Congrats on your 10K, Bin!  You are up pretty early too!  What time is it where you are? WHERE the heck are you, again?  I know you have probably told me before...but I'm old, so my brain holds memory like a spaghetti strainer holds water, lol.

BTW, right now it is almost 5 a.m. my time, the temp is already 49 degrees w/ 'feels like' temp of 51 and we are heading to 77 degrees high today.   Out of curiosity  I looked up the weather in Miami and it is already 74 degrees there at 5 a.m., sheesh!  Poor Damaris!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Bin Running

Scotty, I'm at Singapore. Woke up 545am for the race today. Enjoy your #14? Race later.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Good morning friends.

I am about to go out for 8 easy miles. The weather in south texas is really warming up, 58 with 98% humidity (wtf).

Make today great,

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

URD. Not happy about missing miles (only 1.5 on tap today, recovery pace. But when I am only running 8.5 miles a week right not, it kind of makes a difference). I need to listen to my body though and last night I definitely felt a niggle in the knee. Not always and not very painful but enough to make me know I need to rest it.

Have a great day!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I now know what happened at the HM yesterday.  I got a migraine the whole day so the nausea and stomach issues that made me walk a lot was caused by that.  Slept 11 hours last night and I finally feel almost normal.  8 miles tonight.

Jack, enjoy the 10.  Great job to DD.

Bin Running, nice 10K.

Scotty, yeah, poor me.  That is typical lately.  Pretty soon it will be in the 80s at 5am.  Hope Gail arrives quickly.

Tomas, enjoy your run.  I would love that weather instead of 75F and 100% humidity at 5am.

kristin, URD is the best choice.  Try to enjoy it.

Damaris

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Jack - we are fans of almond milk, though we don't get it often. Good stuff.  You are SO right about high school track meets - having run in high school I remember it was also late getting back and my parents were always ticked.

Bin - nice time!!

Scotty - while I do truly understand overheating, I miss the heat right now!  It was 28F here yesterday and that was warm.  Warm enough there were several areas the crappy-half slush-half packed snow stuck to my shoes and make each weight nearly a pound more a piece, literally.

T-rod - hope the run goes well.

Kristin - good looking out on that.

Damaris - the simple fact you gave it a show with a migraine is pretty freakin' awesome.  I've tried running through them - sometimes it works, sometimes it gets worse.  Sorry we weren't able to meet for a couple of short miles last week - it would have cool.

AFM - I've been a bit lax .  First run in a week was yesterday.  12 miles.  It was aweful.  Snow covered trails.  I bonked at mile 10 and had to run/walk my way back to the Jeep.  An hour later I went snowshoeing - very leisurely pace.  However, that night I could hardly walk for sake of my knees.  Iced and much much better this morning.  SRD for me today and probably tomorrow also.  HOW I miss the warmer weather of the tropics - even if it was only 48 when we hit Florida!  Anywho, I've found a 25k that starts/finishes about 1/2 mile from my house - and it is a single/double track trail run - how do I not register for that!  I will be registering for that later this week.  It is on my beloved trails - can't wait.

Have a great day!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Vance, I didn't know I had a migraine; but I should've identified the symptoms and take it easy.  I was fine for 5 miles and then BAM!  But I did not want to get up that morning, which is a sign.  Sigh.

Damaris

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Scotty, I'm at Singapore. Woke up 545am for the race today. Enjoy your #14? Race later.

Singapore, nice!  Visited there when I lived in Asia (1973-1979), my home base was the Philippines.  I'm sure it has changed quite a bit since I was there, but I remember how beautiful it was...and also how beautiful the ladies there were.  Big grin  I'm sure they probably still are.

Zelanie

Good morning, penguins!  I was just enjoying some almond milk with my cereal when I opened the thread!  I do eat dairy, but try to avoid it before I've gotten my run in for the day.  And milk itself kinda grosses me out, always has.  I like milk products, just not milk itself!

Today I have 6 easy miles to run.  I think I'll take the dogs.  And then we will probably go to an Oscar party at DH's parents' house.

Jack- I hope you're enjoying your morning run and have a more relaxing day today!

Bin- Nice time!  Is that a PR for you?

Scotty- So sorry you can't sleep!  It will be good to have Gail back today, and good luck on #14!

T-rod- Good luck on the miles with that humidity!  Good think you didn't sleep in today!

kristin- It makes sense to be careful, I agree!  Hope that you feel better tomorrow!

D- Sorry your HM was so unpleasant yesterday.  Hope today is better.  11 hours sleep sounds nice!

Vance- Sounds like 12 was a little ambitious since you haven't been running consistently.  It will come back, though!  When is the 25K?

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Morning!  I now know what happened at the HM yesterday.  I got a migraine the whole day so the nausea and stomach issues that made me walk a lot was caused by that.  Slept 11 hours last night and I finally feel almost normal.  8 miles tonight.

Jack, enjoy the 10.  Great job to DD.

Bin Running, nice 10K.

Scotty, yeah, poor me.  That is typical lately.  Pretty soon it will be in the 80s at 5am.  Hope Gail arrives quickly.

Tomas, enjoy your run.  I would love that weather instead of 75F and 100% humidity at 5am.

kristin, URD is the best choice.  Try to enjoy it.

Her first flight had a delayed take-off, she and all the other passengers sat on the plane for 30 minutes beyond take-off time.  Consequently, she missed her connecting flight in Houston, so they put her on a later one.  So now she will be in at 11:30.  So I will pick her up, hustle on home, drop her off, and then have to hustle up to my 5K, which is in the Kerrville area, about an hour and 18 minutes drive from San Antonio.  Flippin' United Airlines.  Oh well, if I miss my race, so be it.  Taking care of Gail is way more important to me than doing a race.

Tomas, hope your 8 miles went well!  Yeah, this humidity sucks.  But at least we have it a lot better than Damaris has.  Big grin  So count your blessings, it could be worse.

Sorry the knee is acting up again, Kristin, that sucks.  Maybe it's time to go see your boyfriend again.   It won't help your knee, but at least you'll feel better otherwise. Big grin

Who are you kidding, Damaris?  You'll never be 'normal.'  Joking  I don't think any of we runners will ever be 'normal', lol.  Golfers and runners...I think we two groups are the most fanatical active people who will do-and-try just about anything to keep on getting out there and do our thing, no matter what the weather, even if we are ill at times, and if we hurt, then we're in denial that we're injured. We probably all need professional help cuz we really are nuts at times. Big grin  Glad you are feeling better, health-wise.

Dang, Vance, first run in a week and you started off with 12 miles?!!!   Bonked...and then went snow-shoeing.  Knees hurting and could hardly walk...and yet race registration still 'called out" to you.  You're one of the Poster Boys for my case above, lol.  Glad your knees are feeling better today and good luck with the upcoming race.  Hope the weather gets better for you!

Zelanie, hope your miles went well!  Enjoy your party later with Oscar.  Who's Oscar? Wink

hog4life

Hey everyone Smile . I'm about to head off to church. Not sure if I'm running today after yesterday's 16 miler, but the weather is really nice so I may go out for a few recovery miles.

Bin, nice time! I'm with Zel, is that a PR?

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!

Definitely feeling the effects of yesterday's race, but not too bad.  Gonna get some recovery miles in today, no idea how many tho, we'll see how the legs feel when I get out there.

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!