Beginners and Beyond

Friday (Read 27 times)

Cyberic

Maybe start with some strides? If that's not good, then you probably aren't ready for speed work.

Let's say I run 8 strides. My first two or three I'm working my way up, but then I hit a pretty high pace since I'm working my amplitude and running mechanics. My point is that for people who do them like me, intervals at 10K pace might actually be easier on the body than strides. YMMV.

DavePNW

The nice thing about strides is that they’re short, and the pace & quantity are pretty flexible.

Costco free samples for lunch today. 

Dave

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Maybe start with some strides? If that's not good, then you probably aren't ready for speed work.

Or some short fartlek

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
              06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour, 35.82 miles

Cyberic

I bought a foam roller. Never foam rolled  before in my life.

Carry on.

DavePNW

I bought a foam roller. Never foam rolled  before in my life.

Carry on.

I still never have. So am I the last holdout, or are there other non-rollers out there?

Dave

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I still never have. So am I the last holdout, or are there other non-rollers out there?

Non-roller here

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                    06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour, 35.82 miles

LRB

Non-roller here

And 50+ years of running? So much for that debate!

LRB

I bought my roller around Thanksgiving. Like anything else, it's a tool, not a cure all.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I own a roller.  I don't use it.

I only use the foam roller when the fascia itches on the bony part of the inside of the knee (I put the roller on an ottoman), and sometime the right shoulder blade

Cyberic

I bought my roller around Thanksgiving. Like anything else, it's a tool, not a cure all.

I kinda relieved some of the pressure off my Achilles last Spring by stretching and self massaging the calf, and rolling (tennis ball) the under foot. Some dude on youtube said that  releasing the tightness on both ends of the Achilles would relieve tension on it. Made sense so I tried. Self massaging the calf was tough and I wish I had a tool for that. Now I have one.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

We even do Pilates on the foam roller and it’s hard. Between the fascia release and trying not to fall I get quite a workout.

taped my knee and so far so good on my run. Not freaking out that the same ITB and areas that hurt last time I tore the meniscus hurt now. All for fucking tripping.

Damaris

LRB

I kinda relieved some of the pressure off my Achilles last Spring by stretching and self massaging the calf, and rolling (tennis ball) the under foot. Some dude on youtube said that  releasing the tightness on both ends of the Achilles would relieve tension on it. Made sense so I tried. Self massaging the calf was tough and I wish I had a tool for that. Now I have one.

I use a stick for the calf. For me, it gets more directly to the point.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I use a stick for the calf. For me, it gets more directly to the point.

I use the sticks for knots and tension in the muscles but the foam roller for fascia release.  One works better for muscles and IMO is the stick.

Damaris

sdWhiskers

I own a roller.  I don't use it.

+1