Beginners and Beyond

Penguin Family Weekend (Read 18 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Intergeneration Day!

Take the family for a run!

"Number one is to just gain a passion for running. To love the morning, to love the trail, to love the pace on the track. And if some kid gets really good at it, that's cool too." --Pat Tyson

PADRunner

6 this morning 56 degrees and 50% humidity. Great morning run!

Fall has arrived!

Good luck weekend racers!

Zelanie

Hi PAD!  Sounds like perfect running weather!

Don't know how much "intergenerational" stuff my 17 year old wants to do.  Maybe I'll help her work on some essays for her exchange program application.

Pot has been legal here for a few months, but it's only been since Thursday that you can just go to a store and buy some.  The place by my house had a line around the block, balloons, etc.  Then on my run last night, there was a couple in their 70s in the park super late that had a certain smell about them.  And after I passed, I heard a lot of coughing, lol.

Today is "dog day" at the local pool.  I'll take the dogs there to get some playtime in the madness, then run 8 with strides later.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

'Morning PAD and Zel.

3.7 cold, windy run in the forest preserve.  Took a while to find my winter beanie, but at least I can still run in shorts.

PR, 5K tomorrow.

GinnyinPA

Good luck to all the racers this weekend.

PAD - sounds like a nice day to run.

Z - you mean you haven't convinced your daughter of the joys of running yet?  I understand.  Only one of Jim's kids hikes at all, and that's only because his son is a Boy Scout and Jim's son is a co-leader.  They've started training for Philmont.  Both of them did a little running, but as soon as their 5k was over, they stopped. I saw how busy the pot shops in California were the last time we were out there.  At the price, I'm a bit surprised.  From what I heard on the news, it's not cheap any more.

Jerry - we got out our wool hats and gloves last night for our evening walk with Ben.  Fall has fell indeed.  Good luck tomorrow.

AFM:  I may take my rest day today. I've had a good week, mileage wise. The rain has mostly stopped, but it's really windy.  50 feels like 41.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have 6 tonight.

Ginny, that's some awesome weather.  Sans rain, of course.

Damaris

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!  I did a streak run today.  Tomorrow I'll be running a half marathon - thankfully I think that weather will be clear.  If I feel good I'll go for a PR, if not I'll probably have another 2:24 or so performance, which seems to be what has happened this year when I've been giving a moderate effort but not super going for it.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

PAD, the weather sounds perfect!

Zelanie, have a blast with your fur family today!

Jerry and Jill, good luck tomorrow.

Ginny, enjoy the rest.

Damaris, have a good 6.

AFM - 5k done, new PR of 26:56. Also FE with Lurch; I'll write up a brief RR.  Now I'm home waiting for the AC guy (now that the weather has finally cooled off, of course)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Congrats on the PR, Bri.  I'll have to hustle to match that time.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Beautiful run/walk today! No race scheduled today, so I slept in a bit - weekend rarity for me, lol! - and then ran at 11 a.m. or so at Fort Sam Houston. Lovely weather: 69 degrees, sunny, and a nice 'sweet' wind bloding. Planned on 3 but felt so good went ahead and did 4 miles. Nice.

My October race events; Have Camera Will Travel
                      Oct 10 - Beat Parkinson's Disease 5K at U. of Incarnate Word
                      Oct 17 - Alamo Beer Hillotes 5K
                      Oct 18 - Pink Heals 5K in San Marcos
                      Oct 24 - Brew-Ha Round Up 5k in Bulverde
                      Oct 30 - Day of the Dead 5K at Lady Bird Johnson Park
                      Oct 31 - Hocus Pocus 5K at Valero

As for Oct 25 - can't make up my mind. HATE IT when 2 good events are on the same day. In this case, St. Mary's University 5K and the Boxer Boogie 5K, both on Oct 25. I did both last year, as they were on different days. Love both of these events! Kinda leaning toward St. Mary's because it only has a $10 entry fee, and as many races as I do a year, a $10 entry fee sounds pretty good, lol. OTOH, the "Boogie" has lots of dogs - I love dogs! - some in costume, and it's great fun taking photos at this event. Also, my first dog ever was a boxer-mix, so I usually do this one in memory of good ole Rusty. Decisions decisions!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Scotty - nice to have so many options, especially now that it's cooling off for you.

Bri - congratulations on the PR and FE

sapf and Jerry - good luck and have fun tomorrow.

D - I hope your run went well.

It ended up being misty all day.  Not a real rain, but very wet.  We went out on a couple of errands then out to dinner, but aside from walking Ben, I stayed in the warm and dry.  He still has the stomach upset, but the limp seems to be gone.  OTOH, we haven't done anything over 2 miles in a while.

hog4life

Zel, does that mean anybody can buy it? Or do you have to have that medical Rx?

I did a 10k this morning with no real intentions other than getting miles in. I hit the first mile in 7:44, which I didn't really want to do. After that the miles slowed down, and I finished in 53:20 which got me 3rd in AG. Then we had a 5k that the Angels pushed 3 riders. My team finished in 28:20, which earned everyone an AG place. My ankle feels okay tonight, which is a woohoo!

Zelanie

Zel, does that mean anybody can buy it? Or do you have to have that medical Rx?

I did a 10k this morning with no real intentions other than getting miles in. I hit the first mile in 7:44, which I didn't really want to do. After that the miles slowed down, and I finished in 53:20 which got me 3rd in AG. Then we had a 5k that the Angels pushed 3 riders. My team finished in 28:20, which earned everyone an AG place. My ankle feels okay tonight, which is a woohoo!

Mitch, anybody 21+ now.  They had a donut party over there this afternoon. 

Congrats on the great showing in your races today!  Glad the ankle healed up well!

Brilliant- Nice work, speedy!  Congrats on the PR. Smile

Good luck, sapf!

Scotty- Sounds like a lot of great stuff coming up!  I don't know which one I'd pick for the 25, either.  Hope you have a great time whichever one you do!

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!  Happy Sunday!

PAD, Zel, Allsion- Thanks for the good luck wishes, I'm going to need them!

Allison - Amazing job on the PR - I'm convinced that if  you do come run the brooklyn half I'll be solidly behind  you and at least 15,000 other runners the whole time.

Ginny - the wind is killer

Scotty - I'd do the cheaper race, but that's just because as much as I love dogs I can't breathe around most of them :-D

Jerry - good luck!!

Mitch - I take it your ankle is all better?

AFM - Of course I woke up super congested today.  At least the Claritin D has 3 hours to work its magic so I can breathe through my nose during the race Big grin  Also going to the doctor for all of my tiredness issues means I have a fancy new inhaler.  I even set an alarm on my phone to remind me to use it before the race ;-)  Oh the hazards of having generally well controlled exercise induced asthma -- I'm not in the habit of using my inhaler before every run.  It is like my glasses.  I can see well enough without them, so I put them down random places in my apartment and then can't find them when I'm leaving and need them to function outdoors and do things like read street signs.

Is today shorts and tshirt racing weather?  55 "feels like" 51 at the start, getting up to 57 "feels like" 53 at the finish.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

I woke up super early for a group run, wondering if we'd get it done before the rain.  While I drank my coffee it started raining.   So I won't let that stop me from running this morning, but I'm disappointed that the group run is cancelled.  (unofficially, everybody just knows not to show up if it's raining)  Anyway, we need the rain so I'm really not complaining! Oh, and I have air conditioning again as of yesterday, just in time for our first cool rainy day of fall, haha.

Zel & Jerry - thanks. Smile

Jill, I hope your breathing was OK in the race today. It's probably too late to advise you, but yes, shorts & t-shirt weather!

Ginny, I'm glad the limping is gone.  Hope Ben is fully recovered soon.

Scotty, what, no run in the greater SA area on 10/11?

Mitch, what a great day for you!  Congrats on the AG award and then the 5k Angels race.  That's an amazing time for folks pushing a rider!