Beginners and Beyond

Break Out The Egg Nog Saturday Penguins! (Read 176 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Christmas shopping.....DONE. !!!!

LOL...if I wasn't done, I'd feel really bad spending that on shoes.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

SheCan

Christmas shopping.....DONE. !!!!

Run for the day.....DONE. !!!!  Went ahead and made myself do it Smile

So glad you got your shoes Awood!  Nice gift for yourself.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Jerry: we watched a good movie last night, "Trouble with the Curve." I enjoy the grumpy Clint Eastwood.

As for me... Christmas shopping DONE!  Rest day for me since I did a long run yesterday. Tonight we are going to a party so I will do my Awood imitation and do some drinking. If I am up to it I will do a run in the morning.

Enjoy your evening, everyone!  Smile

Bye Pens

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Damaris - What a bummer on the crash, sounds like she read Venom's race manners post. Hope the knee heals quickly - looks like you might need to spend some quality time with an ice pack tonight.

Awood - gotta rest up your knee too. Nice score on the new kicks!

kristin - I too agree with the others - go out and see how you feel. I don't think doing 12 miles is too much. I have also been thinking about advice for your next 10K. I would definitely try to get a fourth day in. I think you said you had a 6 week window for your next race. Here is an idea for you to consider starting next week:

Week 1 - 3,2,3,5 = 13 miles  or  3,2,2,5 = 12

Week 2 - 3,3,3,5 =14 miles  or  3,2,3,5=13

Week 3 - 3,3,3,6 = 15 miles  or 3,2,3,6=14

Week 4 - 3,3,3,6 = 15 miles  or 3,3,3,6=15

Race week - 3,2,2,6.2 = 13.2 miles

This adds a fourth day, increases mileage, and doesn't have a distance that you have not already run. The second set of numbers would be if you are concerned with adding a 3 mile day to your running week. Of course see how you feel  and adjust as needed.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

hog4life

Awood, I'm going to get the GTS 13's for my next pair, couldn't wear the 12's though. Another alternative I like are Nike Structure 14's and 15's.

I ended with 10.04 total miles. 6 easy, 3 at HM pace plus 15 seconds, and 1 easy cool down. Oh, shopping is done.

Docket_Rocket

Thanks for all the comments, guys.  DH said I can run as early as tomorrow.  We'll see how it feels during the night.  It's still swollen but going down.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Hi Pens...

Jerry: we watched a good movie last night, "Trouble with the Curve." I enjoy the grumpy Clint Eastwood.

As for me... Christmas shopping DONE!  Rest day for me since I did a long run yesterday. Tonight we are going to a party so I will do my Awood imitation and do some drinking. If I am up to it I will do a run in the morning.

Enjoy your evening, everyone!  Smile

Bye Pens

Jack - This is going to sound insane, but I've found a run is the quickest way to get over a hangover.  You may dry heave or even throw up, but you'll get rid of the hangover a lot quicker than if you just lay around.  So, go ahead and cab it home tonight.  Drink several glasses of water before bed, and then run it off in the morning.  If you're struggling to bring yourself to do it, "suck it up buttercup".  You won't regret it.

Oh...I almost forgot.  I walked the dog for a couple of miles in one of the new shoes to help break them in a bit.  It may just be in my head, but the knee is feeling pretty darn good.  I think I could run a few easy miles tomorrow, but with new shoes and a sore knee I'm going to avoid the long run for now.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Damaris - What a bummer on the crash, sounds like she read Venom's race manners post. Hope the knee heals quickly - looks like you might need to spend some quality time with an ice pack tonight.

Awood - gotta rest up your knee too. Nice score on the new kicks!

kristin - I too agree with the others - go out and see how you feel. I don't think doing 12 miles is too much. I have also been thinking about advice for your next 10K. I would definitely try to get a fourth day in. I think you said you had a 6 week window for your next race. Here is an idea for you to consider starting next week:

Week 1 - 3,2,3,5 = 13 miles  or  3,2,2,5 = 12

Week 2 - 3,3,3,5 =14 miles  or  3,2,3,5=13

Week 3 - 3,3,3,6 = 15 miles  or 3,2,3,6=14

Week 4 - 3,3,3,6 = 15 miles  or 3,3,3,6=15

Race week - 3,2,2,6.2 = 13.2 miles

This adds a fourth day, increases mileage, and doesn't have a distance that you have not already run. The second set of numbers would be if you are concerned with adding a 3 mile day to your running week. Of course see how you feel  and adjust as needed.

I like this Gustav. That seems manageable for me. Will get me more confident in the 6 mile range (since my last training plan only got me up to 5.5 before the 10K) and also adds a 4th day without getting too crazy with increasing mileage and risking injury! Thanks!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Awood, I'm going to get the GTS 13's for my next pair, couldn't wear the 12's though. Another alternative I like are Nike Structure 14's and 15's.

I ended with 10.04 total miles. 6 easy, 3 at HM pace plus 15 seconds, and 1 easy cool down. Oh, shopping is done.

Mitch, I usually steer clear of Brooks.  When I first put them on, I always seem to find a weird bump in the bottom of one shoe.  I don't know why.  I tried these on though, and they both felt great.  The Saucony seems to be a bit more cushiony, and a bit lighter.  I like the fact that they both feel good, but feel different.  It will give me a chance to see which I like more for different types of runs.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

And thanks everyone for the advice on my run tomorrow. I will go for an "open ended" run around the park near my apartment, try not to get too far away, and just stop when I feel tired.

Now...on to "don me now my gay apparel" aka put on my ugly sweater and head off to my ugly sweater party!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Thanks to everybody for the encouraging words on the knee.  There's a part of me that would have just run on it until I couldn't run any more.  That's just how I am.  I missed 6 weeks at the gym once because I worked out the day after bench press nationals.  That's not smart, and I knew it wasn't.  My workout partners didn't even show up, but I'm stubborn.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Mmmmm...beer

Hey everyone!

Sorry I missed you guys yesterday, things were a lil crazy around here.  Broke my streak, just ran out of time in the day.  Not a big deal tho, made it 30 days, I'm happy with that.

Awood, as I said in your other thread, rest is good and a streak definitely isn't worth risking injury.  Great job on your streak!

8 miles for me this afternoon, great run, pretty fast, but felt super easy.  I guess a day off after running 30 days did me some good. lol

We're heading to the land of no internet (the inlaws) for Christmas, so my posting will be hit or miss, hope everyone has a great holiday! (whichever one you celebrate!)

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

LOL...if I wasn't done, I'd feel really bad spending that on shoes.

And my shopping was done when Fedex pulled up a few hours ago, a half hour after DW left for the day.  I was a little worried when the tracking number was not working.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Dave - That's encouraging!  Now, I look forward to seeing what a day off does for me.  Of course, I'll consider two off if it doesn't feel 100% by tomorrow.

Jerry - Now that's what I call coming down to the wire.  Whoa!

Kristin - I love ugly Christmas sweaters.  Pics!?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I will post a pic later Smile

Dave sorry you broke your streak Sad SO AMAZING to have made it that far though! awood what'd I miss with your knee....thought I read everything today....I read about your new shoes but missed the knee thing....I could scroll back but I'm too lazy right now to read through everything again