Beginners and Beyond

Break Out The Egg Nog Saturday Penguins! (Read 176 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

My knee has been getting a little wonky the last few runs.  Today was the first day that I felt it walking around.  Decided to break the streak and rest for a day, and re-evaluate.  I think it's going to be fine.  It's only been 24 hours since my last run, and it already feels like it's almost 100%.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

NEVERMIND awood.....just saw your post about the knee on the board. I think a rest day was a good idea. Both you and Dave making it so far in the streak is awesome but your health is most important.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

My knee has been getting a little wonky the last few runs.  Today was the first day that I felt it walking around.  Decided to break the streak and rest for a day, and re-evaluate.  I think it's going to be fine.  It's only been 24 hours since my last run, and it already feels like it's almost 100%.

Good Smile then you made the right decision!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

On Saturday, Dec 22, 2012, I participated in the End Of The World 5K in Seguin, Texas. This was especially meaningful for me personally this morning, as my Mom passed away in Virginia in the early hours of this morning (Dec 22) after a long illness.   Running is often my therapy and doing this race I had already scheduled helped me to cope.  She had been ill for a long time, so her demise was not unexpected, but we just did not know when it would happen.   My sister lives in her area and was with her.  My mom and I had thankfully already said our goodbyes to each other, knowing what was coming.   I will miss her but it is also a kind of relief , if you can understand or relate to this, to know she is no longer suffering.   She was cremated per her wishes, so there is really nothing for me to do but now wait until my sister and I can get a date scheduled for a small service at Arlington National Cemetery for her ashes to be placed with those of my father, a WWII and Korean War veteran.

Below is the link to my report and photos I did on this event.  Please feel free to share the report and photos.

http://forums.runnersworld.com/forums/runner-communities/beginners#plckforumpage=ForumDiscussion&plckdiscussionid=Cat%3ARunner%20CommunitiesForum%3A608106477Discussion%3A8f8fb447-5c8d-4bc9-b29b-cc76418a561e

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

So sorry to hear about your mom scotty Sad

I will read your RR early tomorrow.... I'm getting ready for a party right now and I always like to really take time to read and experience your RRs since they are always so detailed with so many pics Smile

Sorry again about your mother Sad

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Thanks for starting us off, Gustav.  Hope you had a great workout!

So how did the strength training go, Jerry?

This bitch cut me off  Don't hold back, Damaris, tell us how you really feel about her. Joking  So sorry about your fall and the knee. I hope at least she was decent enough to help you up and apologize.  If not...THAT RUDE BITCH! Big grin  Sucks too, that you had to DNF.  (((DAMARIS)))

Wow, Liz, that is quite a talent, being able to fall asleep while on the treadmill!  Hope it all went well!

Go figure, I want to try running in a snow storm.  Kristi, you, young lady, are nuts.Wink  Been there done that when I lived in Ohio.   Snow running can be quite exhilarating, but I could only take so much of it.  In an out-and-out storm, it can be quite hazardous!  Stay safe up there!

Hope your miles went well, Awood!  I want to see the Hobbit too. But I can't watch 3D movies, kicks up my vertigo.  Not fun trying to watch a movie when the room is spinning around!  Sorry about the streak being broken, but after the knee gets rested, this only presents the opportunity for you to start another one, right?

Right now my mission is to procure an ugly Christmas sweater for an "ugly sweater party"  Umm, gee Kristin, in your case, kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?  Cuz once YOU are wearing the sweater, than it isn't ugly anymore, is it? Shoot, you'd probably make a burlap bag look good if you wore it. Big grin  Happy rest day!

Enjoy the RD, Zelanie. Serious cooking/baking.  Will oatmeal cookies be involved?  My favorite!   If so...please let inside that strange-looking dog knocking on your door. Joking

I feel like such a slug now, Kitteh, lol.  Here you are pregnant and doing 22 mpw and my weekly mileage is around 15 mpw.  Congrats on your new preggers high for the week!

Hope your headache has gone by now, SheCan!   As for the miles...listen to your body, do what is right. If rest is needed, take it!  Oh, never mind..I answer posts as I go down each page, and now I'm on the next page and see you did get the miles in.  Congrats!

Small world, Jack, I watched that movie last night too!  It was a good one!  Enjoy your party tonite!

Congrats on your miles, Mitch!

Sorry about your streak too, Dave.  As said to Awood above, just an opportunity for you to start your next one. Congrats on your miles today.

Thanks for the comments on my Mom.  It was not unexpected, we (my sis and I) just did not know when it would happen.  She actually hung on for longer than we thought she would.  I am not a great one for religion or church-going, but I do believe there is some type of higher power and I believe (and hope) there is some type of after-life, and so I think my mom is now happily reunited with my Dad.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Right now my mission is to procure an ugly Christmas sweater for an "ugly sweater party"  Umm, gee Kristin, in your case, kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?  Cuz once YOU are wearing the sweater, than it isn't ugly anymore, is it? Shoot, you'd probably make a burlap bag look good if you wore it. Big grin  Happy rest day!

Aww Scotty *blushes*

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Scotty: Sorry about your sad news. It was nice that your sister was there with her..

Kristin: Today I got an Otterbox for my new iPhone. Smile

Awood: Your advice does sound insane! Actually, I was laughing while I was reading it, but you know what? I will do it!! I will suck it up (buttercup) and go for it. Hopefully it will not be raining and I won't be in that bad of shape. Also, on a serious note, rest your knee as much as you have to. If you are anything like me, (a bit stubborn), I know you want to get out there and run, but rest really is good for it. I took about ten days off with my IT band problem and it was torture, but it hindsight it was probably the best thing for it.

Zelanie

Scotty- So sorry to hear about your loss.  May she be at peace.

Jack- I never got a chance to say thank you for your nice words yesterday.  And now I have another goal- between now and my goal race, make you want to revise your time prediction downward!

I spent the day at my MIL's house with my daughter.  DD wanted to learn how to make stockings so she sewed one with Grandma.  I made a couple of batches of cookies- oatmeal cranberry and lemon.  Now we're back home, and I think it's chocolate Rolo cookie time.

Here is DD's new stocking, plus two dog stockings that my MIL made for us:

And here are the cookies so far:

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Zel: I would be honored to adjust my prediction downward! Smile  I will also be training for a HM in April so we can compare notes along the way. I think I might try the Ryan Hall program this time.

hog4life

Scotty, sorry to hear about your mom.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Scotty - prayers out for your mom, you, and your family.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

Scotty - Big {{HUGS}} from PA.

Mmmmm...beer

So sorry to hear about your Mom Scotty, but I do know exactly what you're talking about.  We've lost quite a few people in my family to cancer, including my mother when I was 19, and it gets to the point where you just want the pain to stop.  Still hard though.  We'll keep you and your family in our thoughts.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Sorry about your loss Scotty! I will be thinking of you!

Completed my first half marathon 2:09:04!!!