Beginners and Beyond

2 for Tuesday Penguins Devils Food Cake day (Read 21 times)

on my way to badass

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

It's Devil's food cake day according to the calendar I looked at.  2 days for cake is not a bad idea!

I managed to start the Penguin thread from my phone!

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Good morning Penguins!

An easy 4-5 today after work.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hmmm, cake.  Morning!  Pilates and 6 tonight, if I can breathe right.

Damaris

LRB

delicate flower

I came here for the Devil's Food Cake.  I'll take Angel Food Cake too.

<3

tracilynn

Yes cake yes.

Im still barely running. I did manage 3.5 miles early this morning. I have not kept up with my physical therapy core work I did it faithfully for months and just got burnt out. I'm just sick of doing that crap. I spend more time doing exercises than running and it pisses me off!  just over it, YA know?    So I will just plod along and see what happens.

Anyway, it's hot n muggy here. Warmest spring we've had in awhile.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I never did get my walk in yesterday -- DH said we could go after dinner, but since we finished dinner at 8:45, I declined.  I'm thinking, since it's nice and light outside in the mornings, I might start getting up at 5:15 instead of 6:00.  That might give me time to walk in the mornings, and maybe not be so egregiously late to work every day.  And I figure if I start in the summer when it's light outside, maybe it won't be so difficult to keep it up in the winter.  Quartet rehearsal tonight!!  Except it's duet rehearsal, because we still have one member down with back issues, and now another member's FIL had a couple of strokes over the weekend, so she's dealing with all that.  
                Oh, and I'm not thrilled with devil's food cake, or angel food cake for that matter.  Because I'm all about the ICING!!

Stone -- good morning!!

kristin -- howdy!!  Enjoy your 4-5!!

Docket -- Hoping for good breathing for Pilates and 6!!

LRB -- What up!!!

Baboon -- you can have my share.  I will just go open a can of icing. 

traci -- I understand the annoyance with exercises.  I'm starting week 6 of PT exercises, and it's boring. I assume I'll have to keep doing it forever.  But it's also helping with pain, so I figure I can choose boring or I can choose pain.  Woo-hoo for your 3.5!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

No running for me, My doc appointment is next Friday so I will likely hold off all running until then so I can be honest when I tell him I have taken some time off. In the meantime, my core work and dog walking continue. The other day I was looking for a shirt and DD1( the cheeky one) says, "Wow, dad. When the light hits you right it looks like you have abs." So I guess my core work is paying off. Smile

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Not an angel food cake fan.

Taking a 2nd recovery RD (subject to DW and Captain Docket approval).  Need to be ready for another Half this weekend.

How's your mom, Jack?

hog4life

Any cake is good! Heading off to the hospital.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all.  Did a super easy 3.4 this morning.  DH is working from home today and probably for the next couple of days as he recovers.  Currently working = napping.  A nap seems so tempting right now =P

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

GinnyinPA

Morning StoneFence - thanks for getting us started.  I like devils food cake, not angel food though.

Kristin - nice to have you back.

Jack - resting is a good idea right now, though I know how hard it is.  When do your classes get out?

Hi LRB and Baboon.

HopesMom - sorry your group is so messed up right now.  I really like walking in the evening when it's warm.  Nice time to chat with DH and admire the stars.  We take Ben out around 11:00 and I always think how nice it would be to run at night in the summer when it's cooler and less humid.

Traci - sorry you're having so much trouble.  Exercise for exercise sake isn't as much fun as getting outside and running.

Jerry - are you hurting?

Mitch - spending the day at the hospital is hard, even when the whole family is there.

sapf - is your husband still feeling ill?  Has he been to his primary doc yet?

AFM:  5 miles this afternoon.  IT's another hot and humid day, so I may end up on the TM.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Ginny - not ill just tired.  He's going on Friday when he gets his stitches removed from where he face planted.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Ginny: I am done next Thursday and believe me, I am looking forward to it. I have already started taking down my room and the beer is chilling.

LRB

Im still barely running. I did manage 3.5 miles early this morning. I have not kept up with my physical therapy core work I did it faithfully for months and just got burnt out. I'm just sick of doing that crap. I spend more time doing exercises than running and it pisses me off!  just over it, YA know?    So I will just plod along and see what happens.

This is the case for me. After spending the winter months doing core work once and sometimes twice a week religiously, there comes a time in late spring where you just want to flip the bird to the whole stinking thing.

I have battled over discussed this with my PT arguing that summer should be time for core maintenance, not core building FFS. The problem with that obviously is summer is when we run the most, and thus when we need our core to be at its strongest.

It is one of those things where I just do my best to not let things fall completely apart and having an issue arise for fear of hearing those dreaded words, "This is what happens when you slack on your core work."

The key then for me has been to try to get in at least two strong sessions each during June and July, before going back to a once a week regimen beginning in mid to late August at the start of MRT.