Beginners and Beyond

SunDAILIES: The Things We Do to Run (Read 36 times)

LRB

Good morning,

I was up at stupid o'clock for the drive out to the sticks, where I am currently waiting on a group run to commence. Not that I, you know, will actually run with any of them (it seems that I always find myself running alone, even in the midst of dozens), but it is a supported run (meaning a marked course and aid stations), which beats the hell out of running in solitude.

Anyway, what's up?

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I have been awake since 330am for no stupid reason at all other than my back hurt and my tummy was upset and I couldn't sleep. I have been out of bed since 530am. And yet I haven't got dressed at 845am or run even though my schedule wants me to do 10. My legs have no life in them , they actually feel quite fatigued, and I am experiencing severe taper madness. So what goes through my mind in all this? Why? Why do I race? Why do I train to race? Unless you are one of the obscene fast people in this city no one claims to train more than say 25miles PER WEEK for their races and yet they all bust out faster times for their PRs for their marathons. I figured with the 40ish miles per week that I do, that I am on the lower end of most training plans.

Did I mention I hate tapering? Poor me thoughts flit through my brain.

And I always figured that second mat was for the half marathoners. Makes sense it is a backup. What is REALLY annoying is when there is no starting mat.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

To answer my own question....I like racing and trying to see just how many people I can edge out at the end. Not many, mind you, but sometimes it does happen. I am a competitive jerk. lol

Lori

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

delicate flower

Good morning!  I ran!  8 miles at 7:40 avg pace.  A moderate effort type of thing.  Not easy, but not hard.  My HR reading seems to think I ran 8 miles at my 1 mile race effort.  Not sure what was up with that today.

Wife is now making PANCAKES!

<3

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning.  Last LR before tapering starts.

Bertha, hope you feel better.  I think I always feel like that during taper.

Damaris

LRB

I ran 9 on the Hansons' Hills, which gives me 47 for the week. It's a modest number for sure, but the focus right now is on quality. I'll worry about volume later, maybe. 

No more marathons

To answer my own question....I like racing and trying to see just how many people I can edge out at the end. Not many, mind you, but sometimes it does happen. I am a competitive jerk. lol

Bertha - I think I understand.  If I didn't race, I doubt I'd run.  But racing well (and isn't that the key?  And well is defined as within our own abilities, not compared to all others) requires a somewhat dedicated training plan.  And let's admit, if you race well it is going to be a bit unpleasant for some period of time.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

What up?

I slept in today, and I liked it. Might go out for a run sometime today, 3-5 miles depending on whether I've got to take Dorian with me.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

I have been awake since 330am for no stupid reason at all other than my back hurt and my tummy was upset and I couldn't sleep. I have been out of bed since 530am. And yet I haven't got dressed at 845am or run even though my schedule wants me to do 10. My legs have no life in them , they actually feel quite fatigued, and I am experiencing severe taper madness. So what goes through my mind in all this? Why? Why do I race? Why do I train to race? Unless you are one of the obscene fast people in this city no one claims to train more than say 25miles PER WEEK for their races and yet they all bust out faster times for their PRs for their marathons. I figured with the 40ish miles per week that I do, that I am on the lower end of most training plans.

Did I mention I hate tapering? Poor me thoughts flit through my brain.

And I always figured that second mat was for the half marathoners. Makes sense it is a backup. What is REALLY annoying is when there is no starting mat.

It's important to know yourself and what works best for you. Most of the running peeps I roll with run north of 70 MPW, and would consider 50 miles a cutback week. I cannot do that and do not spend a single second thinking about it. People have different abilities, but as long as you are doing your best, you are not cheating yourself.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Someone mentioned pancakes!!!!!

At least I'm dressed to move now. 10:23am. Lol. Waiting for hubby to come home from tennis and try to get me motivated to get our there.

Lori

on my way to badass

Bertha - I think I understand.  If I didn't race, I doubt I'd run.  But racing well (and isn't that the key?  And well is defined as within our own abilities, not compared to all others) requires a somewhat dedicated training plan.  And let's admit, if you race well it is going to be a bit unpleasant for some period of time.

This.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Sometime last year I made the decision that I would run longer, go bigger in distance than train to get faster. I figured I would be better at distance than speed, my legs are thicker and more muscular than your typical fast, elite runners in the 5k-marathon distances. And they're short too, I've got a long torso but stubby legs.

And, to be quite honest, I was afraid the training to get faster would increase my chances of injury. So I decided to play it safe, go longer and enjoy the higher mileage. I do enjoy trail marathons, they are an adventure and a whole other beast compared to road marathons. But I wanted to go longer, I wanted something much more challenging, I wanted to experience a 50 miler.

Sadly, real life hit me about 2-3 months ago and I had to change plans. Maybe once Dorian is riding a bike or running a couple miles with me, or sleeping in... I can get back to the higher mileage.

New plan, I would train to get faster. I added track workouts like intervals to my training and I've found that I really enjoy it, and I've noticed my PRs have gone down....and I've won in my AG 

Will I ever win 1st overall in women, like onemile? Most definitely not, there are way too many long legged, experienced track and long distance females in my area. But I think I can get in the top 10, and that is quite alright with me.

I'm learning that sometimes, quality miles ARE better than quantity.

Okay, I'm done dragging it out, I'm going to enjoy soaking in this Epsom salt bath with a hint of peppermint and something else.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

No more marathons

Maybe once Dorian is riding a bike or running a couple miles with me, or sleeping in... I can get back to the higher mileage.

FS -  The little buggers do tend to impact our lives - in many ways.

I quit running for over 23 years - not because of kids, but simply grew tired of that sport.

It was when DS started running in HS that I picked the sport back up.  And as a PhatOldMan I accomplished a goal that had eluded me as a (comparative) youngster - to qualify and run Boston.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Good morning!

I ran 6.2 daylight miles.  It was a little warmer this morning, but still nice.

I hope everyone has a great day!

Runner with a riding problem.

Cyberic

Yo, people,

Ran 18. Foot held up. I rigged my laces so my right shoe was very very loose (Didn't use the upper hole, and made the smallest knot I could with all the loose. The heel of the shoe was dragging at the end, when I was tired) so there would be no pressure on the top of the foot. It hurts now, but I did run 18 miles on an injured foot. I'll see how I feel later on today.

Bertha, I am not even tapering yet (actually that starts oficially today) and am having all these doubts about why I train and put my body through this misery, to finally put it through a bigger misery in a race.

MTA: 61.5 miles for the week. Skipped one workout. Not too bad. If I can throw in one workout per week in the next two weeks, maybe it won't show too much on race day.

MTA2: Ran back and forth on a dirt path. A bit boring, but easier on the foot.