Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #122 (Read 31 times)

LRB

7 miles. And 7 day rolling total of 69.9

I started wearing a buff (around my neck) a few days ago that I bought online. It was a bit expensive but is probably best material for running lots of miles in warm weather. I mean, it's so light that I'm sure it does nothing except keep the neighborhood vigilantes from yelling at me. Science says distance is better than any flimsy, dirty, poor fitting mask so I'll continue to keep 15-20 ft between me and others. For morning runs, I'm probably averaging passing one person per mile. Afternoon runs were a whole different disaster.

I guess I'll need to start looking for something as it is becoming increasingly obvious that the idea runners should be wearing a face covering is spreading like the virus itself.

I use the weather channel app on my phone and it has a section that ranks each hour on a scale of 1-10 if it’s going to be good weather for running. I’m not sure it was done by a runner because I think they would have something in the mid 50’s ranked higher than the mid 70’s. Ran in 72 full sun they scored it a perfect 10. 🤷🏼

sdWhiskers

I use the weather channel app on my phone and it has a section that ranks each hour on a scale of 1-10 if it’s going to be good weather for running. I’m not sure it was done by a runner because I think they would have something in the mid 50’s ranked higher than the mid 70’s. Ran in 72 full sun they scored it a perfect 10. 🤷🏼

Lol

Here, it says 85 is Very Good.

sdWhiskers

You need it to be a rainy day to run in the afternoon.

It's our non rainy season now. Probably won't rain again until October.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Not written by a Runner. I got some 10s in Miami when it was 87, 90, etc. and I have gotten 3s here for 45F. WTF.

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

I guess I'll need to start looking for something as it is becoming increasingly obvious that the idea runners should be wearing a face covering is spreading like the virus itself.

The buffs I ordered from Amazon are taking their sweet time getting to me. I was supposed to have them last week, now it says today.

I still don't plan on wearing them running. Most days, I pass less than 5 people and it's not required in my area. I guess I do need to make sure I don't cross the city line. The mayor of Baltimore city strongly recommends people wear a mask whenever they are outside their home.

DavePNW

14 miles. 

No major call here for runners wearing face masks, other than random rants on FB. I don’t pass a ton of people, but of those I do, probably less than 50% are masked. I should try counting sometime. Because what else have I got to do out there.

Dave

KCRuns

I ran 4.2 on the TM.

The requirement to wear a mask outside your home goes into effect here today.  But there is an exception if you are exercising and can keep 6 feet of distance.  Of course, that's impossible here in the city unless you're running in the dark very early or very late.  It would be more doable in the suburbs and other parts of the state.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

IN, with the exception of Marion County (Indianapolis) and two other counties that are hot spots, are opening Monday. In stages. Our governor says we will be at full normal capacity by July 4th. I spilled my drink.

So one of my HMs moved to August. That should be fun.

Damaris

Runshortii

I’m fine with wearing them in public, but I think it could be dangerous to wear them while exercising especially in the summer heat. . Luckily where I live I don’t really see it being an issue since most of my runs are on rural roads. I suppose it’s different in the city

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

So far in PA I haven't heard of any orders to wear masks while exercising outside.  Local county workers were putting up fencing around picnic tables in the park today to discourage groups.  At least the paths and trails are still open even if facilities aren't.  I'm wondering if they will turn on the water fountains as it warms up even if the restrooms stay locked.

12.1 miles today to get the month and the virtual race off to a good start.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Cyberic

No major call here for runners wearing face masks, other than random rants on FB. I don’t pass a ton of people, but of those I do, probably less than 50% are masked. I should try counting sometime. Because what else have I got to do out there.

This, except it's more like 5% than 50% here, and I pass many people, but it's mainly the same people every morning. Seems like some of us all have picked up the habit or running the same path at the same time.

Yeah 1 out of 20 is about right (I was trying to validate my 5%...)

bluerun

Super B****

I’m fine with wearing them in public, but I think it could be dangerous to wear them while exercising especially in the summer heat. . Luckily where I live I don’t really see it being an issue since most of my runs are on rural roads. I suppose it’s different in the city

This. I hate wearing it, but I'll do it when I'm out and not running... the idea of running in one makes me want to die, and if the way I feel while running with the buff pulled up for a minute at a time is any indication, I probably would die.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

LRB

This. I hate wearing it, but I'll do it when I'm out and not running... the idea of running in one makes me want to die, and if the way I feel while running with the buff pulled up for a minute at a time is any indication, I probably would die.

+1

I am not happy, at ALL. But being a person who considers/prepares for every scenario, I am in the process of trying to wrap my brain around its inevitability. It has not been easy!

sdWhiskers

Exactly. More than 20 seconds in this heat, and I'll be on the ground hyperventilating. I might as well shove a wet sock in my mouth while I'm at it.

80-90% of the people I pass are wearing masks now but apparently can't be bothered to be anywhere except the middle of sidewalks. I think I will be hit by a car before this is all over.