Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Free-Da's 5K Run/Walk For The Arts (Read 17 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

The Details

• My 41st race of 2014 and my 3rd race of the 2014 July 4th weekend, after having done a 4-Miler on Friday and a 5K on Saturday.  My legs were feeling that a bit today, I ended up with a finish time of 35:04 chip time.
    • Course location was the campus of University of Incarnate Word in San Antonio.  This course was just about all flat, thank goodness.
    • About 300 runners and walkers for this event
    • Weather:  75 degrees at 8 a.m. start time, 89% humidity, dewpoint of 75.
    • Free-Da's 5K Run/Walk For The Arts is named for artist Freda Kahlo de Rivera, best known for her self-portraits.  Bio and photo here:http://www.biography.com/people/frida-kahlo-9359496

BEFORE THE START

Since I live quite near this university, I was able to sleep in a bit.   My wife Gail accompanied me to this one to cheer me on.  Arrived about 7:20 a.m. and got some pre-start photos.  There was a Freda look-alike contest post-race, so lots of participants had a Freda look to them for this event.

My better half, who has to have a lot of patience in dealing with me.

Flashback City!

Me with Cici, our Race Director, and one of the nicest ladies you'd ever want to know. Beautiful inside and out.

The B.I.S.H. Foundation has a really great "Santa Run 5K" holiday run.  I did it last year and it was so much fun, and all for a good cause.  Definitely will do it again this year.   My friend, Sally (far left) is also the Race Director for the upcoming San Antonio RoadRunners Women's Run (women only), which is another  very popular event here.

This is Emma, with her human, Katherine, and other human friends. Emma is co-owner with Katherine of Run Wild Sports, a very good local running specialty store.  I treated Emma to a biscuit and she had her eye on me after that for the rest of the time I was  in the start/finish area.

This historic old bridge - which is very old - takes you to another part of the campus.

Alamo Beer place located for post-race: check!

People could get a 'framed' photo...

Me and my speedy friend, Bernadette.  This was also her 3rd race for the 4th of July weekend.

ON THE COURSE

We started on the parking lot behind the indoor swimming pool building, proceeded behind the university baseball field and then onto some really nice trails that are behind the campus.  Came off the trails, made two out-and-back loops on campus roads, and then back on the trails the way we had come out, heading for the finish.   The trails are a nice touch on this course, twice providing participants some nice shade trees to run under and a couple of degrees cooler in those surrounding woods.

AFTER THE RACE

Yeah, beer!   I made sure before the race to find out where the Alamo Brewing company table was and headed right for there post-race.

Also available were 3 types of breakfast tacos, served up by these good folks

And ice cream....

Lots of "Happy Finishers" and supporters

These folks came prepared...

As I came off the trail to head to the finish, I saw this little lady (on the right) ahead of me and tried to catch up to her, but she was having none of it. Ms. Speedy beat me in by about a full minute.   When she gets her Olympic Gold medal I can say I knew here back when.

I jokingly told the guy in the middle he would be some 'eye candy' for the ladies on my running forum.

OK..this is "Mojo" with his human.  I've done 5 of the same races with this doggie and he has finished before me in every one of them. WAY before me.    He may be small but he is sure speedy!

My speedy friends (l-r), Bob, Bernadette, and Jim, who all placed in their age groups.   Jim, who is 62, is in my age group and he finished today in 22:47 for 1st in our age group.  When I see Jim at a race that I'm at I know I'm not going to get an award, lol.  Unless we're the only 2 in the age group.  Not the case today.

Me and Bernadette

Bernadette and medal

Jim and Bob getting ready to be 'framed' for the medal photo

Well, no medal for me today, but that's okay because I have a "lifetime award"...I get to go home with this beautiful lady every day.

EPILOG

Very nice event, one of my favorite races of the year.    If you register early enough then with this race you get a 'personalized" bib...

photo 090_zps47830975.jpg

Race also includes a nice tech-tee of various colors.  Colors were done by shirt size.  Mine ended up being a light green one.

photo 091_zpscc62b1c3.jpg

Nice course for this event, really nice post-race goodies, participants dressing up, just a really fun run.   Ceci and iaapweb.com folks (local race timing and course setup company) do a lot of hard work for this one each year to make sure everything comes out right.   I'm sure there may be some glitches a time or two, but from what I've seen from doing this race they all sure do a great job.  Mucho thanks to them and to all the sponsors and volunteers who were out there for us. This one is definitely a keeper on the race calendar.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

BISH foundation, heheh.

Nice job as always, Scotty!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Scotty, next year you should wear one if those Freda things on your head. That looks like a fun event.

happylily

I love Freda! One of my favorite artists. I remember you did this race last year, am I right? Your better half is looking lovely, as always, and you deserve big congrats for putting your poor legs through a third race in the last three days. Great beautiful pictures as always, I love the trail! Thanks, Scotty!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

Bernadette gets around!

B-Plus

Beer and tacos ... sounds like a recipe for a successful event. Congrats Scotty!

SheCan

Congratulations on your 3rd race of the weekend!  Wowsers.... and I remember this race from last year, and it just looks so fun, especially for us artsy kinda folks.  Everyone looks so cute in their Freda outfits, and  the personalized bibs are fantastic.  I'm jealous of all that shade you have on this course-- nice indeed.    Congratulations to all your friends, and I love the picture with you and Gail

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Nice job, all three of them!

Damaris