Beginners and Beyond

Deep in snow TuesDAILIES (Read 34 times)

KCRuns

So one positive of leaving work clothes in the office for run commuting is that they are available when you dress for the weather (8 degrees, feels like negative something) and get to work and realize you forgot about an important meeting today.  I have clothes here and was able to change!  After said meeting I will hit the gym, I have 50-60 minutes easy on the schedule today and then I will put back on my more comfortable weather appropriate clothes (read: jeans and a sweatshirt).

DavePNW

5 miles at a pretty good effort...surprised at how good my legs felt. 

You and your good-feeling legs! Actually I felt pretty good today too. 8 miles. It was raining, but not too cold (46), so felt OK. Slept like crap last night, but what else is new.

Dave

Cyberic

I hate wool as it makes my nose itch like crazy.  I guess there is no material better when it gets to be cold, so I should check it out?

I disagree. I do not wear wool for running. I have tried it, and prefer synth fabric.

MTA: Love smart wool for not running though. I wear that under my normal clothes in the winter and it is great.

Cyberic

From what I've gathered, most products using smart wool don't itch. Apparently, allegedly.

Itches me when it gets wet enough. That happens in LRs with a gazillion miles at MP, for example.

Cyberic

With the running in the snow this morning, I decided to NOT train at lunch. Last year, running in the snow + working out at the indoor track hurt my Achilles. I'll try to play it safe this year. Not like if I had a race coming up, anyway.

DavePNW

I never found SmartWool itchy. I used to get their socks, and really liked them especially for cold/wet/snow, but found they got holes too quickly. Still have a hat & neck gaiter, although don't get so much use out of either here.

Dave

DavePNW

Also I only got one response to this yesterday, please weigh in, tyvm.

Shoe question: my race shoes have 267 miles on them. Should I start breaking in a fresh pair for my marathon? (Note they are not Vaporflys.)

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

Yes, no Vaporfly.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Cyberic

I would race a marathon in most shoes that have 300 miles. But in NB1400s, for example, I would not, because they do not last long.

bluerun

Super B****

I would race a marathon in most shoes that have 300 miles. But in NB1400s, for example, I would not, because they do not last long.

I used this as an excuse to buy a new pair for my marathon.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Baboon

delicate flower

Either way.  I think you'll be fine if you don't put any more miles on them.  If those were my shoes, I'd race in them.  If you do want to use a fresh pair for your race, start breaking them in now.  I'd want to put 50 miles or so on a pair prior to marathoning in them, but I have also done a HM on a pair that had zero.

<3

LRB

The more pertinent question is what mileage do you normally race in.

For me that's usually in the 140 - 180 range. It's nothing I do purposely, it's just how it works out. It also depends on the importance of the event and the type of shoe. I trained in the Liberty this past cycle and they appeared to be virtually indistinguishable to a newer pair well into to 200s.

But to the question; if it were me, I definitely would have another pair lined up and ready.

LRB

Either way.  I think you'll be fine if you don't put any more miles on them.  If those were my shoes, I'd race in them.  If you do want to use a fresh pair for your race, start breaking them in now.  I'd want to put 50 miles or so on a pair prior to marathoning in them, but I have also done a HM on a pair that had zero.

Pretty sure I've never done that. Would probably be no issue but my luck in that regard isn't always so good...

LRB

I disagree. I do not wear wool for running. I have tried it, and prefer synth fabric.

MTA: Love smart wool for not running though. I wear that under my normal clothes in the winter and it is great.

I'm wearing my lightweight one now and am very comfortable.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Took my last antibiotic today...we'll see if death begins again tomorrow like it did the last time my antibiotic ran out.

I look forward to joining you all in weather related running complaints shortly.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn