Beginners and Beyond

2019 Race 3: Adult and Teen Challenge Freedom 5K (Read 9 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%20Race%20Reports/2019%20Race%20Number%203%20Adult%20Teen%20Challenge%20Freedom%205K?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 3rd race of 2019 was the Adult & Teen Challenge Freedom 5K held on Jan 19.  This event supports Adult & Teen Challenge, a program to help people with addictions find freedom from their addictions and go back to their families and communities as productive drug free adults.  Weather was kind of blustery, with a steady wind blowing and off-and-on gusts up to 30 mph.  Not too bad though, as it was a very sunny day and the temp at the 9 a.m. start time was about 47 degrees with a “feels like” of 44.  The event was held at local San Antonio park O. P. Schnabel, a part that is part of San Antonio’s “greenway system” of parks for off-road activities.  There was also a kid’s run at 8:30 pm and a Toddler’s run/walk too.   I arrived with about an hour to go to start time – stored my gear in a locker at the YMCA located in the park – nice to be a member, so I could take a hot shower afterwards and changed clothes before going home – and then headed over to the park’s main pavilion to get some pre-start photos.

Event started and finished near this main pavilion in the park

photo IMG_1876_zpskrg6hxbp.jpg

Athlete Guild did the timing, results, etc

photo IMG_1863_zps30fqxmrg.jpg

photo IMG_1864_zps2kxrnduw.jpg

Congressman Will Hurd in attendance, here with Captain America

photo IMG_1871_zpsagfjrcpb.jpg

photo IMG_1872_zpswthzbupo.jpg

Various participant, volunteers, supporters, etc.

photo IMG_1865_zpsupc0dvzy.jpg

photo IMG_1866_zpsdc1ftu6v.jpg

photo IMG_1869_zpsaiznyxzn.jpg

photo IMG_1870_zpskjyqr9yi.jpg

photo IMG_1877_zpswzbwecid.jpg

photo IMG_1878_zpspjsqlfw3.jpg

photo IMG_1880_zpstqvi7gqv.jpg

photo IMG_1882_zpsvqrxahko.jpg

photo IMG_1883_zpsa20ozaor.jpg

photo IMG_1875_zpso8emxd0t.jpg

Lady who beautifully sang the National Anthem before we started

photo IMG_1873_zpsmiqmsa0g.jpg

Thank you, young lady. Here with one of the race organizers

photo IMG_1874_zpsjboygdxb.jpg

ON THE COURSE

5K was an out-and-back on a mix of asphalt/concrete trails in the park.  It did include a downhill  incline and then a downhill on the way out – which became uphill for us on the way to the finish – and then a downhill to the finish line.  This park has a lot of trees, which was nice since that gave us a windbreak from the wind. Salado Creek – or maybe It’s Leon Creek – flows through the park near some of the trails.  For this 5K there was a total of 181 finishers, 95 male, 86 female.  I ended up 2nd in my age group (60 – 69 male) with a chip time of 33:04.  I think there were only 2 or 3 in my age group.

photo IMG_1884_zpsyqxsulu4.jpg

photo IMG_1885_zpswspkhioq.jpg

photo IMG_1886_zpssquaxu9s.jpg

photo IMG_1887_zpsulaxhwbe.jpg

photo IMG_1888_zpsmukjhnjg.jpg

This was also a dog-friendly event

photo IMG_1889_zpsj5dqxnyi.jpg

photo IMG_1890_zpsmibgv5bv.jpg

photo IMG_1891_zpsix8b8hw3.jpg

photo IMG_1892_zpsz2favc95.jpg

photo IMG_1894_zpsqaiind1s.jpg

photo IMG_1895_zpsy0ed0zk3.jpg

Our downhill on the way out; uphill on the way to the finish.  When you got a bit past the end of the ramp, right turn, and there was Part 2 of the hill to climb.

photo IMG_1896_zpsiu1gpfh9.jpg

photo IMG_1897_zpsrcppnegh.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

Wind was still blowing pretty good, so I was thankful that I had brought a dry shirt to change into.  After that, wandered around getting some after-photos of the happy finishers, volunteers, supporters, etc.

Just some guy casually taking his porcupine for a walk in the park, lol.

photo IMG_1898_zpsxgcegurs.jpg

There was also a very friendly lemur present.  Darn..even a lemur looks better than I do in a photo, lol.

photo IMG_1909_zps5d23mopf.jpg

This was the lemur's human. Lots of folks lined up to get photos (free) with Lemur

photo IMG_1910_zpsgzb3lzoh.jpg photo IMG_1899_zpsz267iccq.jpg

photo IMG_1900_zpstoc6yjrc.jpg

This lady in the black coat looks an awful lot like my wife, Gail, when she had brown hair.  Gave me a double-take for a minute when I saw her.

photo IMG_1901_zpsrt4lxnqt.jpg

photo IMG_1902_zpsovqxpjjk.jpg

photo IMG_1903_zpsjzsugw1e.jpg

photo IMG_1904_zps6ahommoq.jpg

photo IMG_1906_zps8f4hgjym.jpg

photo IMG_1907_zpsoryjaetq.jpg

photo IMG_1911_zpsyo89l9me.jpg

photo IMG_1919_zpsts7bu4dm.jpg

photo IMG_1921_zpsa5yrzntl.jpg

photo IMG_1912_zps9qpyhici.jpg

photo IMG_1913_zpszltlfdo1.jpg

"Hulk" and I ran to the finish line at the same time...he got ahead and beat me in by about a minute. 

photo IMG_1915_zpsszrhpyyf.jpg

Bernadette, 2nd in her age group

photo IMG_1916_zpstrfzlbk2.jpg

Me and Bernadette with friend Don photo IMG_1918_zpsvstbswaf.jpg

EPILOGUE

This is a nice event at a nice location for a good cause.  All kinds of stuff going on for a smaller event; DJ playing music, lots of various freebies handed out by many sponsors, and various goodies to munch on pre-and—post race. Nice quality cotton tee race shirt, nicely designed.   Also ‘semi-indoor’ restrooms at the park instead of porta-potties, nice.  I have done this one in the past, will continue to do it in the future when I can, and would recommend it to others.

Mucho thanks to all the folks who made this one happen for us; all the organizers, volunteers, sponsors, Athlete Guild that did course setup, timing, and results; photographers out there for us;  Park Police officers that were out there for us; and anyone else I may not have mentioned here.  Thank you for what you do so we participants can have a race.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Hey Scotty Dog, I see you are doing well!

and you raced on my birthday 😀