Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday Penguins run for Friday (Read 32 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Good morning penguins!  I'm going to brag at 6AM.

Scale says....220 pounds!!!  I haven't seen that weight since my wrestling days.  My mind is blown!

Anyway, I had a great 8 mile run last night.  Then, I started working on the wedding plans again.  Still hammering out the DJ details...ugh.  Mostly, I want the DJ to sign off as security for the event so that my liquor license will go through.  I know that sounds weird, but the liquor license requires security.  Security has to stay sober.  I'm working on trying to sign a police officer that has a DJ business.  That makes sense now.  Right?

I'm also still thinking of people that I need to get invitations to, and HERE'S THE BEST PART!  P3 has agreed to give me a crack at making the wedding cake.  I see how much people charge for them, and I thought, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?".  I've always been pretty good at the artsy stuff, and not half bad at baking.  So, I ordered some new cake pans, a cake leveler and a crap ton of other stuff last night.  My test run will be P3's birthday.  If it goes well, I make the wedding cake.  If it goes poorly, P3 gets cake making supplies for her birthday.

There are lots of things that still need to be taken care of, but I'm tackling a couple of them at a time.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Philliefan33

Good morning Awood.

I think having a "groom-made" wedding cake would be terrific!.  It would save money (which is always nice), and it would give the cake special special significance.  I can imagine the guests' reactions...."No bakery-made wedding cake is good enough for P3....so her special guy made the cake himself." Smile  Of course if my DH had made our wedding cake, it would have been a pan of brownies with some frosting.  He is good at a lot of things, but fancy baking is not one of them.

Let's see....my run tonight will be 8 miles.  There's a cold front coming through today, so I'll probably be backinto the tights and hat and gloves.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

The best part about our cake is that our top tier is going to be made into a beer :-)  Our buddy is an awesome brewer, and he offered to do it.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!

Awood, CONGRATS!!!  That's awesome!  It's such a great feeling to hit a new low!  Good luck with the cake, I'm loving the beer idea!  That'll be so much better than stale cake on your anniversary. Smile

PF, hope you have a good run later!  I kind of miss my morning runs, but I've really been enjoying running in the afternoon/evening with the warm weather we've been having.  Looking forward to when it's warm in the morning.

AFM, 5-6 easy miles later today, stupid taper. lol

Hope everyone has a great day!!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on the weight loss progress, Awood, and the 8 miles. Good luck with all the wedding plans!  Beer?  So you can both eat and drink the cake?  Coooool....

Happy 8 miles, Margo.  Sorry about the cold front coming through.

Dave, behave yourself for your taper, and enjoy what miles you can get in.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Just finished reading yesterday's thread.  Thanks for all the kind comments, but I really don't think I'm any tougher than any of y'all.  Sometimes life hands you stuff and you just adjust and play the hand you were dealt the best you can.  No big deal.  And those Wounded Warriors make me look like a wimp, lol.

SheCan, sounds like a very scenic place to run.  Get photos next time!  Where is your son going for Spring Break in Texas?  South Padre is usually 'the place" for Spring Break in our state.

I don't need 'gentle', Liz.   Push it...push it good!  Wink

Lol, T-Rod, on the AA comment.  I'm surprised that AA is even serving drinks, as broke as they are.   BTW, just where did Damaris go for vacation?

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

hog4life

Awood, congrats on the 220. DW used to make cakes, some wedding but more themed stuff, no thanks for me.

Dave, easy on the miles, looking forward to how you do this weekend.

Margo, enjoy your run and boo on the cold front.

A couple of you asked about nights, I'll be working them till the end of th month. I usually just work one week and then rotate the following week. I got in a little over 5 yesterday afternoon. I may run this afternoon, but need to sleep first.

Bin Running

Awood, making your own wedding cake is awesome! That top tier beer idea is genius.

Margo, enjoy the 8M.

Dave, behave on taper. It is there for a reason.

Scotty. Howdy!

7M for me today at slightly fast pace of 8:55. The 1st mile was fast and I suddenly think. Can maintain this for another 6M? And I stupidly persevere. Bin, slow is meant to be slow. Hope I didn't do any damage.

As it was threatening to rain when I wanted to run, didn't had a chance to check out the trail. Maybe tmr

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Bin Running

Mitch, hope you get some run after your sleep.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Zelanie

Morning, everyone!  Got 7 easy on the plan today.  Yesterday felt like I could really use a RD, but I do have one scheduled for tomorrow.  I wanted to run easy the couple days before my race, so tomorrow is RD and then 4 super easy on Friday.  Since there will likely be daylight I will take the dogs today.  I think the longest they've done is 6.2 so it will be their "LR", hehe.

Awoood- Congrats on the new number on the scale!  That's a huge accomplishment!  And making your own wedding cake, wow, that is awesome!  In my pre-teacher days, I worked at some bakeries and can make a decent cake, but never would have attempted that.  Although part of that is that I worked with a woman who was incredibly talented and did wedding cakes out of her home.  She did the traditional white tiered cake with berries & such, but then she also did a chocolate groom's cake that was a stack of firewood with little marzipan mushrooms.  It's not as random as it sounds as we got married in a lodge in the forest.  The top tier idea is a good one, too!  Ours just did not look appetizing after a year.

Margo- Not too many cold runs left!  Hope yours goes well!

D2- You're almost there!

Scotty- I didn't get to check in with you yesterday, but chalk me up for another vote for you as one tough doggie!  Glad you're able to avoid surgery this time around for the time being.

Mitch- Sweet dreams!

Bin- Glad you got your run in.  That's not even that fast for you anymore, right?  I bet you'll be fine!

Hoping Damaris is having a nice vacation if she checks in!

Bin Running

Mel, what race are you doing? Tuneup race?

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Zelanie

Yes.  The plan calls for an 8-10K tuneup this week, but there's a 10 mile race that's a benefit for the school district I work for, so I'm doing that instead.  Not a goal race, of course, but still hoping to run as well as I can on tired legs.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

I have a busy week with kids' activities and DW off to a conference. Older DD has a meet today and she is running both the 1600 and 3200. Younger DD has open house tomorrow, swim practice, track practice, etc... It never ends but they are only kids once. When I have time to breathe, I will do an easy 45 minutes tonight. That's fine with me because it got HOT yesterday and today could be 86. YUCK!!

Enjoy your day.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I might go for another slow short walk today.  My knee is a tad twingy, but not fussing majorly.  I did remember to ice last night, so that's all good.  Quartet rehearsal tonight!!

Awood -- my wedding planning was pretty easy -- my sister got married a couple of years earlier, so I told my mom, "Her cake was good, so just get the same lady.  And her flowers were nice, so let's get the same person."  Then the flower woman said she could cater, so we said, "Great, you're on!"  Yeah, our wedding was extremely laid-back.

Phillie -- enjoy your cold 8!!

D2 -- celebrate the taper!!

scottydawg -- it's not your survival we admire, it's your attitude!!

hog -- sleep well!!

Bin -- sorry you were stupidly fast!!  And yes, I'm commuting about 75 min. one-way.  

Zelanie -- hope your 7 goes well!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.