Beginners and Beyond

Spinach for All Penguins Thursday! (Read 19 times)

From the Internet.

We also had a new girl show up to the workout.  Her name is Lauren, and she is super young and fast and badass, so naturally I felt like our Lauren was there with us. Smile  She even has a tattoo of the same Robert Frost poem that I have on my road ID.

Aww! Smile

HsM - congrats on W1D1! Big grin

emmbee - I'd go for option 1, or if you're feeling good tonight, split it 5 tonight/2 tomorrow. Some easy miles the day before a race is always better for me than nothing at all.

Slept in by over 3 hours again this morning, might get to the pool for a short workout later just so I feel like I did *something*, or I might just give my body the rest day that it's clearly begging for.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

3.2 sweaty miles. Humidity returned, fortunately, we got a rare weekday LR in yesterday.

Embee, I would take a RD tomorrow if you are going to try a PR on Saturday (even if there is no hill at the finish).  Good Luck !!!

LRB

Trying to figure out what makes more sense for me today.  I had planned to do 3 today, 4 tomorrow, and six on Saturday; but I've signed up for a 10K on Saturday and didn't get out for a run this morning, so I'll probably run tonight and tomorrow morning.

Options:

1) 4 tonight, 3 tomorrow.

2) 3 tonight, 4 tomorrow. (usual Th-F schedule)

3) 6-7 tonight, rest tomorrow.

I have run exactly 1 10K before and that race featured a 1.5 mile evil hill at mile 4, so as long as I don't blow up stupidly, I should PR with a nice strong run. (Being a slow newbie is *awesome.*)  Am I better resting or running tomorrow?

For the past months I've been running five-six days a week and it's going really well; seems to be less mentally intimidating for me to get out the door every day for a few rather than run longer twice a week.  We'll see how it goes once half training starts in a couple of weeks...

Option 1 or 2 and I agree with L Boogie on running the day before a race versus rest. Although I have done them both and sucked equally so there.

Zelanie

Another vote for 1 or 2.  I like to run a little the day before the race.

Also consider- moving one of those miles to Saturday to make it a warmup mile.

emmbee

queen of headlamps

Thanks, all! I think it may just depend on how I feel this evening!  It's 91 degrees here now (yuck.)   Maybe a 5/2 split just because I like my five mile route more than my four mile route.

I'll be happy with anything under an hour; I signed up mostly because I've been trying to carefully build a really solid base for the past six weeks, which has meant more days running than I have in the past, but also that I'm running the same shorter routes a LOT.

I'm doing loops of the middle weeks the Hansons half-marathon "just finish" plan, which is sort of silly because I've already finished three halfs, but trying to introduce speed and distance at the same time in the last training cycle just killed me, so I'm stepping back to a level where I'm not making myself miserable only to run slower.  So I'm going to try to average 25-30 miles/week this month, and 30-35 in the next two, with long runs topping out at 10 or 12, and then race at the end of September.

TL;DR A six-mile run on Saturday where someone gives me a medal and a popsicle at the end sounds nice.

But I also know that I run a *lot* faster in a group.   And I have no idea whether I do better with more rest or a short shake-out run the day before.

emmbee

queen of headlamps

[removed double post.]

Wound up doing 6.62, on the grounds that a late night run followed by an early morning run will leave me beat, and running tomorrow evening in the heat isn't the best recovery for a 7AM Saturday race!  Easy run, at 90 degress (but only 17% humidity because the west is awesome. Smile )