Beginners and Beyond

MonDAILIES: Doing the damn thing (Read 30 times)

LRB

'Sup.

I ran for 30 minutes. It was pretty rickety as expected. Will run again after work.

5mi uncomfortable bowl hills, still uncomfortable two hours later.

off tomorrow, hopefully longer on Wednesday as I’m off work

Cyberic

Run commute has re-started. BackPack felt heavy. At least the humidity has gone during the night, so it wasn't sticky this morning. Did a few strides at the end.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have 7 or 0, depending on how this day goes.  Boss is arriving today, big boss tomorrow.

Damaris

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

off day for me. did some leg strength and upper body stuff.

From the Internet.

Morning! I ran some cruise intervals - had bigger plans for the day but I suffer terribly trying any sort of tempo in any sort of humidity.

3 mile WU and 3x1 mile T, thought I'd be fancy and do something like alternating mile T/mile MP, but it became clear 90 seconds after the first T mile that it wasn't a good idea for an early-training-cycle summer workout, lol. I'll keep it in my back pocket for later in the season when I need something fun to mix it up. Couple minutes jog in between reps instead. 6:47 (v flat, effort felt pretty even all the way through the workout), 6:53, 6:51, at which point I also decided that a ~4 mile cooldown was not in the cards today either. 8.5ish total for the day. Good enough. I'll either do 10 easy tomorrow like I usually do, or I'll easy double to get the miles in.

KCRuns

HKC, congrats on your AG win yesterday!

SD, that was a gorgeous picture you posted yesterday!

I struggled through 10 yesterday.  It was 98% humidity at the start and just miserable and I ended up walking a lot and feeling defeated.

I've been struggling in general with running lately.  After the marathon last fall, I needed a mental break from 3 years of training and did not do what I should have been doing to maintain a base or prepare adequately for training to start up again.  Then I've had several life things happening over the last few months that have also impacted my running, which has just compounded the problem.  I had a serious conversation with myself yesterday about getting back on track and refocusing on my goals and what I need to do to set myself up for future successes.  So, I have thrown out all of my racing goals for this year, they just aren't realistic for my current fitness (or lack thereof) and am going to focus on building my base back up and having fun running.  I'll use the rest of this year to build up, get focused and get ready to train seriously for a spring marathon.

5 miles.

Hamstring has been holding up so far, but yesterday I started feeling a pain in my calf, and still hurt today. Particularly bad in the last mile, like it was about to cramp up. Fortunately it didn’t, but still .

Dave

RunningOnSand

5 miles.

Hamstring has been holding up so far, but yesterday I started feeling a pain in my calf, and still hurt today. Particularly bad in the last mile, like it was about to cramp up. Fortunately it didn’t, but still .

Rage. Is it all on the same leg?

My "thing" is moving all around on my leg, my left one. I made an appointment with a local PT who supposedly is a runner herself, and kicks ass. I think she is going to do cupping on me. I've heard it hurts like a mofo. Bring on the pain!  I ran 6 morning miles in 59* weather (yes, that's right, in the 50s!). It felt heavenly! And made me yearn just a little bit for fall weather.

SD, your pic was so gorgeous from yesterday. so so pretty.

Cyberic

5 miles.

You're going to have to start taping your legs with beautiful colored tape. Don't forget to shave first.

Cyberic

Here is a nice picture showing how much harder it is running in heat/humidity and/or with a backpack than just jogging carelessly in beautiful weather.

My first runs in Scotland were done in hills, so calculated VO2Max stayed low, but as the terrain became flatter (I was moving on my trip), Garmin thought I was becoming a superhuman. Then I came back to Montreal's temperatures and my watch suddenly remembers who I really am.

Rage. Is it all on the same leg?

Yes. And still sore just walking around afterwards. Dammit.

Dave

RunningOnSand

Yes. And still sore just walking around afterwards. Dammit.

That sucks. Maybe tomorrow it won't be as sore.

GinnyinPA

Ever since my marathon last spring I've had an odd knot in one or the other calf. Not really painful, but there. It feels as if it would like to tear, but hasn't yet. Achilles stretches seem to help, but then the next day or the day after, I will get that weird feeling again. The hamstring pain has been low level since I'm not running as much as I was while training for the race, and only becomes really noticeable if I'm running hills or faster than usual, but it's still there, reminding me that next time I ramp up the miles, it will be there. OTOH, I haven't been foam rolling at all regularly, and if I can force myself to do that again, it may get better.

LRB

I've been struggling in general with running lately.  After the marathon last fall, I needed a mental break from 3 years of training and did not do what I should have been doing to maintain a base or prepare adequately for training to start up again.  Then I've had several life things happening over the last few months that have also impacted my running, which has just compounded the problem.  I had a serious conversation with myself yesterday about getting back on track and refocusing on my goals and what I need to do to set myself up for future successes.  So, I have thrown out all of my racing goals for this year, they just aren't realistic for my current fitness (or lack thereof) and am going to focus on building my base back up and having fun running.  I'll use the rest of this year to build up, get focused and get ready to train seriously for a spring marathon.

It's a prudent move on your part. Removing the pressure that comes with goals and training is an important step when your running is in a dark place. It allows you to run when you can if you can without baggage.