Beginners and Beyond

Mondailies: The Day After (Read 23 times)

DavePNW

In as clear as possible an answer to Baboon’s question yesterday: oh FUCK my quads. Went for a very painful 4 miles today, for officially my slowest run of the year. 

Finished up July with 267 miles.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

LOL, massage or roll them.

I want to try another downhill course at some point. I do a lot of downhills on my TM (up to -3%) and want to see if my quads die after.

I have 5 with 10 X 1 minutes hard after work.

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

If I were to do another full, I'd highly consider Jim Thorpe. Downhill rail trail. Unfortunately the HM is out and back.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Not saying I was annoyed but:

May be an image of 3 people, bangs, people smiling and text

Damaris

25 min pool mix…

weather forecast for tomorrow’s run:

6am: 65

7am: 62😀😎

Baboon

delicate flower

What it is, bro!  I swam 2500 yards early this morning, and just completed a FIVE MILE RUN.  Felt about what it should after taking five weeks off.  

That brings my July run total to five miles.

<3

sdWhiskers

5 miles. After my first leg strength workout in a few weeks yesterday, I felt super sore/creaky on this run.

Downhill marathons are awful. I almost had to have DH carry me up and down the stairs after St George last year  My quads were still sore a week later. But probably the worst was that they started to be sore during the race around Mile 13...I could barely walk toward the end.

sdWhiskers

That brings my July run total to five miles.

Lol everyone has to start somewhere!

sdWhiskers

Oh and I forgot to mention, this is Week 1 for CIM training. I'm following the same plan I used for my PR in 2017 (4:13), written by my friend/coach. No crazy mileage but non-cookie cutter workouts to keep me interested. I may add in some extra easy miles depending on how things go.

DavePNW

Downhill marathons are awful. I almost had to have DH carry me up and down the stairs after St George last year  My quads were still sore a week later. But probably the worst was that they started to be sore during the race around Mile 13...I could barely walk toward the end.

Fortunately nothing started hurting during the race...of course it was only a half. And I did a cooldown jog afterwards where I was feeling it a little, but not too bad. I kind of knew it would hit me as a DOMS thing. My intended fall marathon is on the same course, so we'll see how that goes! My quads were sore after Boston for at least a week and a half IIRC...I was starting to get concerned that I had done long term damage.

I was also planning to do another half on the same course in 4 weeks, as my final tuneup 3 weeks in advance of the marathon. But...I'm now thinking why bother. I don't feel the need to try to try to improve my time (which I'm still completely in disbelief about), and probably not likely to get as lucky with the weather. Maybe better to just keep the focus on marathon training.

Dave

DavePNW

Oh and I forgot to mention, this is Week 1 for CIM training. I'm following the same plan I used for my PR in 2017 (4:13), written by my friend/coach. No crazy mileage but non-cookie cutter workouts to keep me interested. I may add in some extra easy miles depending on how things go.

Enjoy! Hopefully you can stay healthy and have some fun with it. CIM seems like a long time from now - is that 16 weeks? I never do anything >12, but of course I try to keep a good base. Right now I'm not following anything exactly. I pulled out my last plan just as a guideline for picking workouts.

Dave

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Congrats on your race Dave. My own legs are achy from my own12 miler yesterday. Which was my longest distance since Carmel. Today I tried to shake out the lactic acid with pickleball. I suck at it. Lol

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

sdWhiskers

Enjoy! Hopefully you can stay healthy and have some fun with it. CIM seems like a long time from now - is that 16 weeks? I never do anything >12, but of course I try to keep a good base. Right now I'm not following anything exactly. I pulled out my last plan just as a guideline for picking workouts.

18 weeks out but the first 4 weeks of the plan are base building and re-introducing workouts. After taking 2 weeks completely off, it's exactly what I need.

DavePNW

Oh, and funny story from yesterday. I was in the (lengthy) pre-race portapotty line with one of the pacers. We started chatting for a while about pacing, and different races, and the various pacer organizations. She mentioned she paced the Seattle Marathon last year, the second half. I said me too, actually both halves. She said, wait - were you my pace partner? Turns out yes we were, and neither of us recognized the other one. We didn't realize others in line were eavesdropping on our conversation; when we figured out we had been partners, a whole bunch of people just busted out laughing.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

LOL, Dave.

Great news, Baboon.

Damaris