Beginners and Beyond

When you have to DNS a race (Read 139 times)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I haven't read all the comments here, but Hilary, don't give up on running Boston.  Take the time you need to heal, then start training again.  You will be surprised by how much fitness you retain.  One time I essentially took 6 weeks off to heal up a shin thing and then went and ran 50 miles and was just fine.  I know how much this race means to you, and I think you should run it as long as you are healthy enough to do so -- perfect training be damned.

Running is dumb.

Nevrgivup

I haven't read all the comments here, but Hilary, don't give up on running Boston.  Take the time you need to heal, then start training again.  You will be surprised by how much fitness you retain.  One time I essentially took 6 weeks off to heal up a shin thing and then went and ran 50 miles and was just fine.  I know how much this race means to you, and I think you should run it as long as you are healthy enough to do so -- perfect training be damned.

THANK YOU.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Runshortii

I wouldn't give up on running Boston yet either. You're a seasoned runner and can comfortably run half the distance. Just take it week by week and see what happens. If your goal is just to finish I'm confident you can do that if you can nip this injury in the bud in the next 3-4 weeks or so.  I know it's easy to freak out and start thinking worst case scenario, but I really do think you can still run Boston.

And if you can't, I know it's disappointing but it happens.  I DNS what was supposed to be my first full and my favorite HM last year because of a knee injury. It sucks, especially the money aspect of it, but when you've been running for as long as you have it's bound to happen. Don't feel like you're letting anyone down. No one wants to see you suffer through the marathon or injure yourself worse!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I've had to DNS a few races over the years, mostly due to very bad weather and road conditions or a current injury. I can remember only one that may have had anything even remotely approaching the impact on me that Boston has for you. I had been training for most of a year to get myself to the point were I felt justified in the expense of a weekend trip to Boston for the Masters Indoor Nationals where I though I had a chance to get through the qualifying rounds of the 800m and make it into the finals. A week before the race I contracted bronchitis and spent the next 5 days flat on my back in bed. To say I was disappointed would be putting it mildly, especially after seeing the results and knowing that if I ran what I was capable of I could have placed in the top 8 in the finals. With nothing comparable in the summer track meets that I was interested in, I turned my focus to the roads determined to do better. My first race back was slow and showed the aftereffects of being sick. I then proceeded to win my AG in my next 6 road races.

You also have 3 1/2 months before Boston. While optimum results aren't likely in that length of time coming off an injury, being able to run and finish Boston certainly is. I couldn't believe Ian had me running a marathon only 2 months after I started training for NC 24 last year, but he did and I did it. It wasn't easy, but it was gratifying.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

I have no running advice because I am a beginner and suck at running. But as far as dealing with friends/family...Put yourself in the shoes of the people cheering you on. If your best friend was training for Boston, and you were really rooting for her, then she got injured and couldn't run, would you feel like she let you down somehow? Of course you wouldn't. Like baboon said you'd be disappointed for her not with her. Big difference.

Nata2011

What LRB said. is piriformis the only

issue? My understanding that it can improve a bit after proper rest/massage....

case in point - I have been training very well up until the last 20 miler when I busted my IT band. Next run I experienced sharp pain at mile 4 and was forced to stop. Took a week off, the thing was hurting even when I sat down, got a couple of sport massages and it was fixed! I was certain I never run again that how bad the pain was.

Dont give up yetSmile you can always run/walk it there will be plenty of runners to keep you companySmile

hog4life

Hilary, there is nothing I can say to sway your decision one way or another. There is a lot of good advice here, but you will be the one to decide. I think you know a little about me, my history, and this past summer dealing with PF. As you know, I just finished my first marathon in December. I had a down right awful training cycle, where I was dealing with all kinds of stuff. I even posted a thread, asking opinions about a goal time. I knew in my heart and mind, there was no way that I was going to reach any of my goals, except one of them. Finish! The last miles were spent walking and having the time of my life. To be honest, I knew going into it, it was going to be that way. My friends and family, looked upon me no less for finishing in 3 hours, or 5.5 hours. I finished. I have no regrets. The only thing that would have made it better, BOSTON.

Don't give up yet! If you are willing to adjust your goals, gain some closure for last year, have fun, and to say you completed your first, then I say DO IT

MothAudio

I'd 2nd the comments about keeping the faith. April is a long ways off. I don't have experience with piriformis [thought I had it once but was told it was tight hammies instead] but my advice is to not begin a race if your condition causes you to alter your gait. Or is this something you fear may crop up later in the race?  That's the reason I haven't raced a marathon since 2010.  Didn't want to put in a full training cycle only to have my achilles compromise my stride after 18 miles [doesn't really start to bother me up to 17 miles]. Not concerned with hurting myself, as I feel I could complete the distance, but it doesn't make much sense, from a performance perspective, knowing this is a strong possibility going into an event.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Nevrgivup

Thanks so much for all the replies. I've calmed down some and realize now I have been freaking out a bit. I'm not in pain today so that is a plus. Going to try a few shorter runs tonight and over the weekend. I plan on getting in the pool again as well. I am definitely going for the experience and have no time goal in mind.

Robert31320

Team TJ

Thanks so much for all the replies. I've calmed down some and realize now I have been freaking out a bit. I'm not in pain today so that is a plus. Going to try a few shorter runs tonight and over the weekend. I plan on getting in the pool again as well. I am definitely going for the experience and have no time goal in mind.

Go for it, Hilary!  Nevrgivup.

Running for TJ because he can't.

Nevrgivup

I'd 2nd the comments about keeping the faith. April is a long ways off. I don't have experience with piriformis [thought I had it once but was told it was tight hammies instead] but my advice is to not begin a race if your condition causes you to alter your gait. Or is this something you fear may crop up later in the race?  That's the reason I haven't raced a marathon since 2010.  Didn't want to put in a full training cycle only to have my achilles compromise my stride after 18 miles [doesn't really start to bother me up to 17 miles]. Not concerned with hurting myself, as I feel I could complete the distance, but it doesn't make much sense, from a performance perspective, knowing this is a strong possibility going into an event.

I can tell that there may be a few things going on. Its been two weeks and I'm still in significant discomfort and it seems to be worse at night. My left hip is where most of the pain is and than I get the sciatica. My left hamstring is markedly tighter than my right, however, that is my most dominating side due to the right side being shorter. I would be silly if I attempted to run today or even this weekend since I am in pain at rest. I ran this week and I think it was too soon. I just want it to go away. It may be tight hamstrings, piriformis, or I may have a disc herniation. I guess the only thing to do is be smart and wait it out to see if it goes away. Having experience with a disc injury is no fun. It was about a year and a half off from running. I have no idea how I survived that time.  It sucks as a runner to not be able run. Sad The gait altering is definitely a possibility and than I put myself at risk for other injuries.

Hip Redux

If you think the pain is enough that a disc issue is on the table, see if you can get the MRI sooner rather than later.   It's worth knowing now rather than continuing to be frustrated by no improvement.

Is the sciatica pain similar to what you had before with the disc herniation?

Nevrgivup

If you think the pain is enough that a disc issue is on the table, see if you can get the MRI sooner rather than later.   It's worth knowing now rather than continuing to be frustrated by no improvement.

Is the sciatica pain similar to what you had before with the disc herniation?

The sciatica is similar to the pain I had with the disc herniation. I guess I'm hoping that its not that because of the long road to recovery, but at least I will know. Its not like I have to jump back into surgery, but at least I can talk with my neurosurgeon about my options. They did say that a re-herniation could occur and that there is never a guarantee. I have to pretty much force myself to not run on this. Its so hard. I think in the past, I did a lot of elliptical and hated every minute of it. I'm going to give them a call this week. Thankfully, I have good insurance, but its a new year which means back to paying the deductible. 

Nevrgivup

Just read over my last post and I'm thinking its way too early to jump into calling my neurosurgeon. I think all of this discomfort is an angry hip and could possibly be bursitis. I'm calling my physiatrist tomorrow to be evaluated. Still have a glimmer of hope. I love even more that my husband keeps comparing me to Oprah lol and how if she can run/walk a marathon I can too. He is the best and believes that I will be running. I appreciate all the comments here and I thank you guys for not calling me a littl bit crazy. Running injuries make one over analyze everything. Thank the running gods for running forums.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Don't give up on Boston yet!  Heal and start training and see where you are at.  What Mandy says it's true.  You won't lose fitness that easily.

Damaris