Beginners and Beyond

D3 or Dawn to Dusk to Dawn 50K RR (Read 54 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I was returning to D2D2D with some ambivalence. It's not that it isn't well run; it's very well organized and a class race. Rather my training was lacking and the weather report for race day was not encouraging. Forecasts initially called for possible thunderstorms, then shifted to hot and sunny, possibly near 90F, considerably less than ideal conditions for a race, especially an ultra on the track where there is no shade. Forgetting to apply sunscreen in that situation doesn't help at all.

This year has also revealed some of an ambivalent approach to running ultras. Back in January I attacked the course somewhat aggressively knowing that I would probably pay the price later. I suffered more in that race than in perhaps any other race with the possible exception of the 2013 Bob Potts Marathon. Perhaps it's a subconscious avoidance of a recurrence or fear of a DNF, but my last two ultras I've run very conservatively to ensure finishing, even if the times were very slow, roughly an hour slower than at Clearwater. I don't regret that. At the Ice Age Trail 50K finishing to atone for last year's DNF was my primary goal. At D2D2D I saw one runner down on the track. They called an ambulance to take him to the hospital for treatment. I saw him later back at the track, so he is okay. It was an unnerving situation though, one I did not want to find myself in by pushing too hard. I don't know if I overcompensated or not, but I did finish with a lot still in reserve.

I worked the night before the race, so I didn't get home until almost 10:30 pm. It was also the first night of the Diamond League meet in Eugene with live streaming beginning at 11:00 pm. Since I rarely sleep well the night before a race anyway, I stayed up to watch at least some of the races before heading to bed. The HS girls mile was by far the most exciting, though the boys HS mile had a very unexpected finish. It was about midnight by now so I skipped watching the women's 5000m and men's 10000m races in favor of sleep.

The 50K race didn't start until 9:00 am, but I set the alarm for 5:15 am anyway and a second alarm for 6:00 am just in case I slept thru the first one. It was nice having the extra time to get everything ready Saturday morning, but it also meant more time running during the heat of the day. Last year I got lost trying to find the high school, so I left myself a little more time this year. I didn't need it and arrived over an hour early as a result. Even with the 24-hour runners starting at 7:00 am, I was still able to find a good parking place so I didn't have far to carry my gear and cooler. Next time I don't think I'll bother with the cooler. The race supplied a more than adequate selection of food and drink. I did bring my tent and sleeping bag, but left them in the car. I could always go back for them after I finished my race if I wanted them.

Bill, the RD, called us up to the starting line about 5 minutes before the start, gave us basic instructions, then we had a short moment of silence and a few words in memoriam of one of the registered runners who had died Wednesday of cardiac arrhythmia while running an ultra marathon. It was a sobering moment as we were about to begin a battle with the heat.

I had a general plan to run a couple laps then walk a half lap. This worked pretty well for about three and a half hours, though I was moving slower than expected. This year water stations were set up on both sides of the track as well as the main aid station with food by the timing mat. One of them was staffed by young girls who were so cute. They called out asking what we wanted every time we came by and handed it to us as we went by. They were so enthusiastic that I tried to use that aid station as much as possible. I don't have official splits yet but I had a pretty dramatic slowdown after 25K. We were officially in the afternoon by then and I was walking more, drinking more, and dowsing my head and hat with ice water. It was during that period when I saw one of the runners laying on the track being attended to while waiting for the ambulance to arrive. I'm not sure of the attrition rate but I saw a lot more runners walking or taking breaks throughout the afternoon. I'd had some time to walk or jog with a few runners up to that point, but what really helped me through was one of the 24-hour runners who had run as far as he wanted graciously joined me and kept me company the rest of the way. I thought he looked vaguely familiar and as we talked we discovered that we had met at the Endless Summer 6-Hour Run in Annapolis last year. He and his wife basically took me in hand and worked as crew for me. With their help I actually picked up the pace again so my last 5 miles were almost as fast as my third 5 miles. I finished with a little kick in 7:55:41 placing 8th of 10 runners in the 50K.

While satisfied with my races this year, I feel like I've lost my direction and drive to train for them like I should. I also lacked the enthusiasm and excitement going into this race that I normally have. I don't have anything else scheduled for the year except North Coast 24, which I would go to even if I wasn't registered to run. I'm thinking a change may be in the works. In the past I've often shifted focus every 2-3 years from the track to the roads and back. It's been two years now that I've been focusing exclusively on running ultras with the exception of a single 5K. Even when focusing on the track or roads, I had more diversity in my racing. The only variation in the last two years has been a couple trail races. The summer will be a period of reevaluation to see where I want to go. I've enjoyed the two trail races, so I might lean in that direction. I might return to shorter road races or the track. Or I might try to add more diversity in my races. That could be the hardest option for the training though many years ago I could and would race anything from 800m to the marathon.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Cyberic

50K, and it went up to 90F. To me, that is very impressive. Congratulations!

LRB

While satisfied with my races this year, I feel like I've lost my direction and drive to train for them like I should. I also lacked the enthusiasm and excitement going into this race that I normally have. I don't have anything else scheduled for the year except North Coast 24, which I would go to even if I wasn't registered to run. I'm thinking a change may be in the works.

You have done about as well as expected on the ultra circuit given where you are in your running and the conditions you face. How about trail racing shorter distances like the 5 & 10k with an occasional trail half marathon thrown in?

Your experience with training for and running ultras the past two years will serve you well at distances it takes less time to train for and recover from, and given your background in speed training you might do quite well at them.

Nice work on finishing the 50k in the heat!  There's quite a collection of blisters from the 24-hr folks on FB. Wink

Couple thoughts. It's sometimes harder to "get up" for "home" races where you don't have to pack and travel somewhere. And this race may have lacked the "newness" to generate excitement for you this year.

... Or I might try to add more diversity in my races. That could be the hardest option for the training though many years ago I could and would race anything from 800m to the marathon.

Running a range of distances may not be optimum for any distance, but it's certainly doable- and depending upon what's available to you and how you blend things, you could have stronger results. You might consider periodizing which races you do when. One of the strong ultrarunners (in his 50s) races events from indoor masters track to 100-mile races - reasonably competitively (masters national championships indoor, sub 2:45 for marathon 4 yr ago at age 52 (paced daughter to OTQ)). I believe he helps the local hs runners in spring, then does ultras later in the year, but could be wrong. In his 2014 results, I think I saw a 10k, a HM, and 100miler, but those lists aren't usually complete. (looks like he did a lot of things in 2011, but not as much since then - or at least they aren't listed)

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

delicate flower

50K on a track.  You are nuts.  I mean that in the nicest way possible.  Big grin

<3

Little Blue

50K on a track.  You are nuts.  I mean that in the nicest way possible.  Big grin

+1000

I would go stark raving mad doing 10K on a track.  You're stark raving mad x 5!

happylily

Each race and each race day will demand different goals and expectations. A good runner is one who can evaluate the situation come race morning and adjust his work in consequence. You are, and always have been, such an excellent runner, George. I wish I had that ability myself. Your training may have been lighter than you wished for that type of race, and the conditions were certainly not favorable for a fast finish time, but you still managed strong and intelligent running. Each race teaches us something. No wonder you are so knowledgeable given the number of races you've done in your life! You are a true inspiration to all of us. Whatever direction you intend to take now, I know that the last two years of ultras have added to your baggage as a runner and have made you stronger. I'm interested to see what comes next for you. I am sure it will not disappoint me.

P.S. I think that 50k on a track is something I would actually enjoy. It's running without having to actually think and watch where you're going. Sounds like me.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

GinnyinPA

Good job finishing your 50k in those conditions.  I'm surprised they started the race so late at this time of year, especially since the track had no shade. You have been an inspiration to a lot of people by your willingness to try new things and stretch your limits.  I hope you find a way to get your enjoyment back.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Good job finishing your 50k in those conditions.  I'm surprised they started the race so late at this time of year, especially since the track had no shade. You have been an inspiration to a lot of people by your willingness to try new things and stretch your limits.  I hope you find a way to get your enjoyment back.

With not only the 50K race, but also a 100K which also started at 9:00 am, there was the 24-hour race starting at 7:00 am and the 12-hour race starting at 7:00 pm. With that many runners it would have been a little too crowded on the track to start everyone at the same time, hence the different starting times. With runners at so many different levels and paces, there was constant passing. By starting the 12-hour race late, the 50K and 100K runners would mostly be finished and the 12-hour runners would be on the track to keep the 24-hour runners company during the wee hours of the night. It seemed to work very well. I think the 12-hour runners got the best of the arrangement, though, since they missed the heat of the day.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

LRB

With not only the 50K race, but also a 100K which also started at 9:00 am, there was the 24-hour race starting at 7:00 am and the 12-hour race starting at 7:00 pm. With that many runners it would have been a little too crowded on the track to start everyone at the same time, hence the different starting times. With runners at so many different levels and paces, there was constant passing. By starting the 12-hour race late, the 50K and 100K runners would mostly be finished and the 12-hour runners would be on the track to keep the 24-hour runners company during the wee hours of the night. It seemed to work very well. I think the 12-hour runners got the best of the arrangement, though, since they missed the heat of the day.

I wondered the same thing, that makes sense.

AT-runner

Tim

Nice job, George.  I'm sure the weather was a real killer.  Heat and humidity will drop your pace faster than anything.

So if we look at your splits, we'll see you slowing down each time you passed the cute girls? 

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LRB

So if we look at your splits, we'll see you slowing down each time you passed the cute girls? 

Speeding up actually, with perfect form. lol

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Nice job, George.  I'm sure the weather was a real killer.  Heat and humidity will drop your pace faster than anything.

The cute girls were about 9 or 10 years old, not cute as in college coeds, though I wouldn't have minded that at all.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Half Crazy K 2.0

Wow. 50k on a track in 90 degrees, impressive. Does someone keep count of the laps for you?

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Wow. 50k on a track in 90 degrees, impressive. Does someone keep count of the laps for you?

Chip timed with a huge monitor so we could see our progress after we crossed the mat each lap. Here's a sample of the monitor:

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K