Beginners and Beyond

There Once Was A Tuesday Penguin... (Read 21 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

May 12th is Limerick Day!  Share some of your favorite limericks!

A penguin, resplendent in tux,
    Has homing skills just like a duck's.
    To achieve the South Pole,
    He just heads for his goal:
    The Southern Cross tail, Acrux.

It is also:

International Nurses Day

National Nutty Fudge Day

Odometer Day - Most runners only need a pedometer....but the speedy LRB, Baboon, etc., probably need an odometer to clock their quick miles!

Tux the Linux penguin rules!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

PADRunner

Morning Scotty. Off to the gym this morning and group practice tonight.

From the Internet.

Morning Scotty and PAD and pens to follow!

4.3 miles this morning with 2 miles at race pace. I usually like to warm up for 2-2.5 miles, but I'm figuring that I won't want to tucker myself out on race day (and, ah, I tend to run late for pretty much everything all the time, so I might only have time for a short warmup) so I only did a mile before launching into race pace this morning. First mile was hard (8:22), settled into a rhythm by the end of the second mile (8:15).

Think my plan for race day will be to jog 1-1.5 miles with a couple of strides toward the end, do some dynamic warm-up stuff, and after the gun goes off, ease into the effort over the first mile rather than trying to go out at 8:23 right off the bat. If I end up on pace right away, awesome, but even if I have an 8:45-9:00 mile I can still make that time up later. It'll be fun to see what part of this process I'm going to overthink tomorrow, haha Smile

I have a bib number! For all your stalking needs: http://allsportsevents.com/Results/running_results/WallisSandsHalfMarathon2015.html#/person:&entry_id=268:14314369658720

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have Pilates class and 7 miles tonight.

Damaris

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I did not have a good run this morning.  I had a GREAT run.  Per the local weather guy, we are supposedly going to get some major rain in the PM today, so I was up at 5 a.m. and off to the university where I work to get in my run before the wet gets here.   Ended up with 4.1 miles.  Sweet run, with most of the students gone for the upcoming summer, nice and quiet on the campus, felt like I had my own little running area kingdom, lol. Did go off campus for about a mile or so...and got chased by a bulldozer for a moment or two when I cut across a big dirt plot....and even that was fun!  Never a dull moment! 

Happy gym and group practice, PAD!  Stay safe in our crazy Texas weather today!

Congrats on your run, Lauren!  Good luck with your race!

Happy pilates and miles, Damaris! Outside miles today or TM?  If TM...move that trash-can close for the snot-rockets... 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Allergies suck, and it's supposed to be 91 today.  There's just so much wrong with that ...

PAD -- enjoy the gym and group practice!!

Lauren -- Woo-hoo for your 4.3, your plan, and your bib!!

Docket -- enjoy your 7 and Pilates!!

Scotty -- sounds like an awesome run, glad you beat the bulldozer!!  Maybe D needs a drop-cloth for the snot rockets?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I did not have a good run this morning.  I had a GREAT run.  Per the local weather guy, we are supposedly going to get some major rain in the PM today, so I was up at 5 a.m. and off to the university where I work to get in my run before the wet gets here.   Ended up with 4.1 miles.  Sweet run, with most of the students gone for the upcoming summer, nice and quiet on the campus, felt like I had my own little running area kingdom, lol. Did go off campus for about a mile or so...and got chased by a bulldozer for a moment or two when I cut across a big dirt plot....and even that was fun!  Never a dull moment! 

Happy gym and group practice, PAD!  Stay safe in our crazy Texas weather today!

Congrats on your run, Lauren!  Good luck with your race!

Happy pilates and miles, Damaris! Outside miles today or TM?  If TM...move that trash-can close for the snot-rockets... 

I depends on the weather.  it is already 89F and it's only 10:30am, so sounds like a TM night.

Damaris

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning Scott, Lauren, PAD, Docket, HsM and the rest.

Starting to worry about 80* temps on Sunday. DW won't run in the heat.  She gets light headed.  We haven't registered yet, so we will hold off until the last day.

I can hear you laughing Docket.

Good luck with your race Lauren !!!

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all.  Today is going to be a super hot day so I'll do my miles on the TM.  I only did 1.3 yesterday - I haven't had my running mojo these past few days.  I'm hoping that it'll come back in time for my half on Saturday.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

GinnyinPA

Scotty - I'm glad you had such a good run this morning. I hope the storms pass you by this afternoon.  Texas has been hit hard lately.

Damaris - have fun on the TM.  I hope the cold is better.

PAD - have fun with the group this evening.  I hope you don't get rained out.

Lauren - you're right.  The nice thing about a long race is you can warm up in the first mile or two without it hurting your time too much.

HopesMom - are you getting all the rain from Anna?  Sorry about the allergies and heat.

Jerry - when women get older (post menopause) our ability to regulate our body temperature changes.  I read an article on RW last year that said that older women are affected much worse by heat.  I know that is true for me.  At 30 I had no problem hiking when it was in the 90's.  Now when I run in the 80's I can get nauseous and dizzy and have to sit down for a minute or two.  I hope your race is early enough that it is still cool enough to run.

sapf - taper time is a good time to cut back.  Are you getting the same temperature cool down that we are expecting?  That should help.

AFM:  I have no idea what I'm doing today.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Ginny, I thought it was because I have a better cooling system on top of my head. Wink

Singer who runs a smidge

HopesMom - are you getting all the rain from Anna?  Sorry about the allergies and heat.

I don't know if it was Anna related or not, but we had QUITE the thunderstorm last night!!  Rain that was absolutely pounding the side of the house and plenty of nature's fireworks.  I suspect Chewie was cowering under the bed.  Luckily we didn't lose power, just a minor blip that made my coffeepot lose its programming.  Which luckily I noticed before I needed coffee. 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Where is Zel?  I need to know what she decided about this weekend!

7 easy miles done this morning.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Zel, the marathon would be a good warm up for your Monday "Run" !!!

Singer who runs a smidge

Went for a short walk (0.5 miles).  Was not cursing in pain.  This is good.